PDA

View Full Version : Deer and Corn

bflem55
07-27-2012, 06:56 PM
Quick Question I hunt a patch of woods that's about 30 acres the Big Darby creek runs through it and on all 3 out of 3 sides of it is corn this year. Is this going to really effect my deer hunting and make it bad? If it does is there any strategies I should try?

patmc81
07-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Find how they are traveling to the corn fields. And place stands accordingly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ghunter
07-27-2012, 10:45 PM
If we stay dry all summer corn will be off a lot quicker then last year.

hortontoter
07-28-2012, 08:51 AM
I think Gary brings up the biggest concern. If the corn remains standing until Thanksgiving or so your hunting will be tough in my opinion. The deer will bed and eat right in the corn fields. If you have a good acorn drop the deer will leave the corn for the acorns. But, I've found when this is the case the deer feed off the oaks after dark. Most likely, a tough hunting scenario for you to deal with. I deal with this very scenario at my place every year, makes for tough hunting.

mrbb
07-28-2012, 10:38 AM
I think Gary brings up the biggest concern. If the corn remains standing until Thanksgiving or so your hunting will be tough in my opinion. The deer will bed and eat right in the corn fields. If you have a good acorn drop the deer will leave the corn for the acorns. But, I've found when this is the case the deer feed off the oaks after dark. Most likely, a tough hunting scenario for you to deal with. I deal with this very scenario at my place every year, makes for tough hunting.
I agree, when there is lots of corn about, deer tend to almost live in it till it gets cut
unless there is better cover they feel safe in

you might be better off looking at water holes along the creek, where there getting water, they will have to come get water , other wise they can almost live in that corn

AT my place when I have corn, lots of the younger deer stay in it almost 24/7, but all my bigger bucks, tended to still stay in a local swamp near me, ,
I blame that on there age and the fact they feel safe in that swamp all yr, and then traveled to teh corn mostly after dark only(based on trail cam pic's)

not really helping me kill any, but not all deer will stay in corn when its there, some stick to old pattern's
good luck