PDA

View Full Version : Monster Trophy Whitetails

holywho
07-21-2012, 08:43 AM
Just watched an eppisode of Monster Trophy Whitetails on TV. They were hunting at Back Country Outfiters in Millersburg Oh. Brandy Anderson was Muzleloader hunting deer of course. Well, the first thing I notice after she was in the stand, NO orange anywhere. Now I'm guesing they were hunting on one of theses pay for an animal places where the rules don't apply, but, as a "pro" shouldn't they at least make an attempt to follow the local rules and regs? It really bothers me when they put this kind of thing on TV, shouldn't we hold these so called "profesional hunters" to a higher standard or at least the same standards as we are held.

I guess I'm just tired of hearing about or seeing the hunters on TV breaking the rules.

Big_Holla
07-21-2012, 10:24 AM
HOLYCRAP! Great to see you back on here Holywho!!!

I completely agree....but then again I like it when they do stupid stuff like that so we can spot when they are hunting behind a fence. Especially when they don't have the balls to tell us the truth!!

mrbb
07-21-2012, 12:12 PM
well I agree too, to me them doing things like that just teaches the new people/kids that they can also do it cause they seen it on TV, to me too many things are learned this way any more, seems like the days of learning by reading are almost over

same foes for earning the way

too many short cuts and learning to hunt on /at places that are so controlled, makes hunting look easy and just a matter of sitting and shooting a critter!

no skill seems involved all that much like yrs back,. learning all the stuff , reading sign, tracking,

now its so many food plots buikld a big shooting house
hunt over bait or a food lot while staying cozy warm and dry, and picking the size critter they want

old school hunting is dying if you ask me!

hortontoter
07-21-2012, 05:01 PM
I saw a similar show last week. Hunting somewhere in Ohio with no orange and high powered rifles. Definately a high fence "buy a buck" situation. Many of us use food plots and even some, like myself, use box style blinds. But, hunting a free ranging whitetail is a totally different scenario than what is done on a high fence hunt.

mrbb
07-22-2012, 03:53 AM
I saw a similar show last week. Hunting somewhere in Ohio with no orange and high powered rifles. Definately a high fence "buy a buck" situation. Many of us use food plots and even some, like myself, use box style blinds. But, hunting a free ranging whitetail is a totally different scenario than what is done on a high fence hunt.
I don't think there is something wrong with shooting house's and food plots
I do tons of food plots at my place

I'm just saying it seem to me anymore, too many folks only know how or want to hunt that way

I personally found going through all the hard work learning and doing things the learn as i went very rewarding to me , and I enjoyed that hunting

don't get me wrong, I NOW enjoy a chance to sit in a nice blind and over a good food plot every so often!, but I can hunt about any place because I learned what i did over the yrs
I have always enjoyed my out of state do it myself hunts the most, as it challanged myself as part of the hunt, more than just my shooting skills

TV show's to me are again teaching too many folks I think that hunting is all about size/score and age of critters, over prime lands, so few I know have!

and to me thats not really what hunting is or was about when I started hunting!
it was the love of the outdoors and all that was in them, wanting to learn all about it, not just shooting well!

and I feel bad so many don't get IT anymore that way!

I will be the first one on this site to agree 100% hunting over bait and food makes killing A DEER tons easier, than in the woods over natural feeds!
I know I have done both for a long time!

blackbeard
07-22-2012, 10:55 AM
Holywho? Great to hear from you. How are things in Louisiana? You been catching any gators? It's really gotten to the point with me that I don't watch many hunting shows anymore. Just can't stomach them.

holywho
07-24-2012, 02:43 PM
We're doin good. Man, I want to gator hunt so bad I can't stand it, but it just ain't as simple as it sounds. First you have to have a piece of land, it's a plus if there are actually gators, then a survey has to be done to determine if there is a sustainable population of said gators, and then if you know the right person or grease the right palm you MIGHT get to pay an outrageous price for A tag. Then if all goes well and you kill a gator and fill your tag, you can start the hole process over again for next year.