PDA

View Full Version : Another Chance

hortontoter
07-17-2012, 12:26 PM
Pulled my card a while back and found a pleasant surprise. This was my target buck that I called Splitter last season. Notice his split right brow tine and the split in his left ear. Looks like I'll probably be chasing him again this fall. Going to be fun watching him develop. My first photo is of him last September. The second photo is of him a month ago.

Big_Holla
07-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Man that's good to hear he made it through everything! Keep us posted on how he's doing til you are sitting behind him holding him up!!

hortontoter
07-17-2012, 02:31 PM
Sitting behind him is the idea. Making that happen is proving to be tough. I never layed eyes on this buck all last season. Hopefully this year works out a bit better.

mrbb
07-17-2012, 06:00 PM
well I hope that is him, and he's a lot bigger come fall than last yr for you, and this time he walks past you in range
good luck

ibppmd
07-17-2012, 06:39 PM
Great looking buck! Good luck getting after him in the fall. KB

hortontoter
07-17-2012, 07:20 PM
well I hope that is him, and he's a lot bigger come fall than last yr for you, and this time he walks past you in range
good luck

Definately the same buck. I had over 1000 photos of him last year. The split left ear is a dead giveaway. And the splitting right brow is another pretty positive sign of identification. We will see how well he develops by mid September.

mrbb
07-17-2012, 11:32 PM
well I didn't notice them details, but if thats so, he should b a dandy this fall, again best of luck
and I hope you get mroe pic's too

MQ1
07-18-2012, 10:59 AM
Nice deer he should get a bit heavier too this year i would think. I see you hunt away from where you live , do you leave your blinds out all season or set up as you hunt?

ghunter
07-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Good to hear he is still around. If he was that way in june he sure will be nice come September.

hortontoter
07-18-2012, 10:23 PM
Nice deer he should get a bit heavier too this year i would think. I see you hunt away from where you live , do you leave your blinds out all season or set up as you hunt?

I do almost all of my hunting on a small piece of property that I own. Unfortunately, my hunting area is over 50 miles from my home. I still manage to archery hunt this property 40 - 60 times per season. Almost all my stands are permanant box style stands. I do have two stands that are natural ground blinds and I will be hunting out of a pop up blind also at times this season. Every season I get to know this property and the deer living in the area a little better. I'm a hunter that prefers quality over quantity, so I pass quite a few deer every season. Here are a few more nice bucks that were hanging around my property last season. The second photo is a good photo of my target buck from last season.

MQ1
07-19-2012, 01:34 PM
Oh yea very nice buck for sure, I was just wondering if you took your blind in and out with you,due the the distance away from home factor. Here are a few tips if you have to setup each time you are there and thought i may pass them along due to deer needing to get used to blinds stands etc. ahead of time for the best chance at them especially a mature deer. If you think this may benefit you in your situation, try it , stake a section of camo cloth , 2 sides a 90 degree works best where you plan to set your blind , set it up like an inside corner so when you roll in you just pop the blind up and set it right inside the walls , the 2 sides give the deer time to look it over , and when you place the blind in front of it , they dont notice any change , and if someone wants to steal your cloth so be it you still have your blind safe and sound. Maybe this will help you i dont know , you know what you have seen out of the deer and if new things bother them.

hortontoter
07-19-2012, 10:27 PM
Leaving up the burlap is a good idea. My box stands are permanant and stay in place all year. My favorite stand was made from an old portable toilet. I've taken a good number of deer out of it. The other stand is a stand that my dad uses during gun season.

MQ1
07-23-2012, 08:45 AM
Those look great , I too wondered where i could land an ole craper.