PDA

View Full Version : Trophy rock question

MJH
07-09-2012, 03:36 PM
Question for you guys who use and have had success using a Trophy rock. I was curious how you guys "got the deer on the rock" Did you top it with something for an attractant? I wanna try to get the deer where I need them! I know easier said than done though! I've got a 50 yrd clearing and im in the only good tree on the north east corner. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! This is whats in there!!

Thanks Guys!
Mike

mrbb
07-09-2012, 10:45 PM
well on any mineral lick I used, I always topped mine with corn , adding corn always got deer to find it
so thats what I would suggest
of you can try a lure that has sweet smelling scent too, that works, deer are always checking things out that smell sweet at my place!
apples will work too!

hortontoter
07-10-2012, 07:48 AM
I just put my Rock near a heavily used trail. I would suggest only one mineral site to be used in conjunction with your trail camera. A great way to inventory your herd. Hunting over the Rock has been fruitless for me.

The NE corner is a good choice for your stand. But a 50 yard opening may be avoided during daylight by most mature bucks. I would suggest finding a good funnel area to place your rock in. That way the deer will be using the funnel to utilize your Rock. But, like I said hunting over the Rock has been very dissapointing for me. Once the bucks shed the velvet they seem to vacate the Rock.

Big_Holla
07-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Put some corn out around it, they will find it that way if it's in a spot they normally don't travel much.

Buckstrike138
07-11-2012, 12:25 PM
I agree with all the corn users. I put out two rocks this year and split a 40# bag of corn and used half around each rock. I also stay away from the rocks for at least two weeks before I check my trail cameras for lice. Hope this helps.

Buckstrike138
07-11-2012, 12:29 PM
Damn auto correct! Mypost should read "before I check my trail cameras for pictures" not lice. Technology is great to a point. LOL.

Mightymet
07-11-2012, 10:02 PM
We set out a Rock on its own in the south edge of our property. They seemed to hit it on its own. We also set one on a spot we had dumped minerals on the ground in the middle of our property. They destroyed that one in the first two weeks. When we checked on it it was down to a rock the size if a golf ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OHBooner
07-15-2012, 09:20 AM
Corn is the way to go. I've had some trophy rocks that the deer hit hard from the getto, butive had others that they just seem to ignore until I dump corn around it.

blackbeard
07-15-2012, 09:49 PM
Ditto, near a heavily used trail or feeding area is best. I tried a TR one time in an area where deer pass through eating acorns and it wasn't used much. Seems they work better if deer don't have to 'find it'.