PDA

View Full Version : Deer hunting Wayne national forest pls help

Whitetail Freak
07-08-2012, 10:43 PM
My buddy and i would like to try our had at wayne national forest this yr problem is we have never been there or have any idea what to expect or what area or sec to hunt or how to hunt it ? could some one pls help not asking for spots just info like what can i expect to see in trems of deer size and numbers? is it crowded with ppl in bow season ? just general info pls anything will help thank you ......will

mrbb
07-08-2012, 11:43 PM
OKm some general info
the wayne is a BIG place, so always room to get away from people if you want to

the areas I have been about it , near athens area, is a good mix of flat very steep and hilly and bigger woods and farm lands, all depends on where you go on it

as for deer numbers and sizes , well, like most places, food cover and pressure determine that, so from spot t spot about the wayne it will vary, but there are BIG bucks killed on it every yr

My suggestion would be to go to the athens area and go to the main office there, they have free maps of the area, there are several
other public areas about that area as well if you like as you look about the general areas
but go to the main office and talk to some of the workers there, and ask about places to try, they would know the area best, in both deer numbers, pressure and well, might even get you near priivate lands that have deer problems, or just places that have deer numbers to your liking!

there are tons of places to stay in this area too, plus the rocky boot company store and such.

just a suggestion

Whitetail Freak
07-09-2012, 09:43 AM
mrbb, thank you for the info we will be heading down there soon to look it over and talk with ppl that was good advise to talk to ppl down there id have never thought of the forest ppl to ask ty

mrbb
07-09-2012, 11:53 AM
no problem
I have been about that area several yrs, and all the state workers I ever talked to were very friendly and helpful

the collage is so close by there and with so many students in the conservation end of schooling, they seems to deal with folks better than some other places
I have always seen many BIg bucks in this area as well, and there is TONS of great public lands in this area, more than you can cover in yrs of trying

its where I started hunting in Ohio(from PA) before I got access to a nice private lands in that area

still folks there that let people hunt by asking, but the public lands are very very good if you ask me

Buckstrike138
07-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Another place for info would be the local bow shops. Ohio Valley Trading post has locations in Athens Nelsonville and Logan. Also in Logan is Downs Bait. I live in Logan so pm me when you are in the area andnI will help in any way I can.

Griz
07-12-2012, 08:00 AM
A Buddy and me spent 4 days in the Athens area in Mar 12. The trip down was worth the effort. It ansered alot of questions. Probably the same ones you guys have. Mrbb gave you good info and I,ll add that if you call the Athens office @ 740-753-0101 they will send you a free welcome package with some maps and where to get started. You can than order the pacific topo map in the area you want to scout. An believe me wyf is a very large area. Also be prepared for some big steap ridges. I have no idea how you would get a deer out of some of those areas. I talk to local hunters when I was there and the pressure is big. The only way to get away from all the other hunters is to go in further. It looked like a great place, saw plenty of sign. Hope this was helpful. Good luck to Yah!

Whitetail Freak
07-12-2012, 01:03 PM
ty guys buck when we get donw there will give ya a call b 4 we make it n maybe meet up n shoot the crap n scout some ?
Griz . thax for the # man iam gonna call them now n talk to them thanks a bunch guys yall been very helpful

blackbeard
07-22-2012, 10:51 AM
I would hunt the areas farthest away from populated areas. And definitely purchase something to help you get deer out of the woods. Good luck.

Whitetail Freak
07-22-2012, 10:59 PM
b.b ty man were stoked about our upcoming trip omg i cant wait for bow season

blackbeard
07-23-2012, 10:18 PM
Some really good deer there, just gotta find them, lots of country, and lots of it rugged.

quackaholic
07-25-2012, 04:11 PM
Lots of rough country. But there are atv trails.