PDA

View Full Version : Groundhog hunting with my bow suscessful stalk tonight

Whitetail Freak
07-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Hey y'all just got back from the back yard with a successful stalk i live in town and we cant use firearms in town so the groundhog population around our area has begin to rise i have a 15acer field behind my house and it has taught me a lot over the years on how to stalk whitetails and other game , Let me ask ya have ya ever shot a groundhog at 5yds with a bow? have ya shot a groundhog with ur bow from any yardage? well if not ur missin a lotta fun let me tell ya this is great practice for later in the season ill admit it took me 2 shots tonight to pin this hog but not cuz i wiffed the 1st shot just missed the head by a few inces and ended up breaking the off side shoulder going in through the neck i just gave him another to speed his demise don't like to see them suffer any longer than they do i shoot field points for groundhogs and always aim for the head usually 1 shot kills that way now by end of month ill be switching to broadheads for groundhogs as it gets closer to opening day n ill be shooting for behind the shoulder got pics will have to try to up load tomorrow was a good time give it a try y'all its a blast .......Will

Mightymet
07-08-2012, 10:23 PM
I shot this one last Sunday in the back yard at 60 yards with an Easton axis shaft and NAP hellrazor broad head. Damn small at 60 yards!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whitetail Freak
07-08-2012, 10:46 PM
mightymet...nice man , i know what ya mean about a small targer at that far took a 55yds poke at 1 last wk but i whiffed it that was same 1 i shot tonight good to see someone else enjoys the little things like i do to pass the time , fyi that a good beverage ya got there to .....will

ghunter
07-09-2012, 12:26 AM
Good shots guys. I love to shoot some whistle pigs. I got this one last week at 42 yards and this one at 26. 85658566

Whitetail Freak
07-09-2012, 09:45 AM
ghunter way to go man great off season practice also huh

hortontoter
07-10-2012, 08:05 AM
I shot one a few years ago with my crossbow. Just wanted to see if I could do it. But, when I hunt groundhogs I usually take my .17HMR or my .22 Magnum. I took this trio from a big brush/junk pile with my .22 Magnum. These are the first three groundhogs I took with this rifle. It is going to be my go to coon calling rifle come December. Just doing a little bullet testing this summer. Hoping to find a fur friendly bullet for the .22 Magnum.

patmc81
07-10-2012, 09:44 AM
Last year 20 yards. He went about 10 yards and died. He was standing up and I got him right in the chest.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Big_Holla
07-10-2012, 12:26 PM
Great job fella's!! As my uncle used to always say, they lived off of animals like groundhogs during the great depression....treat them right and cook 'em up!!

Stonegod
07-11-2012, 10:20 PM
See Dick, I told you that you're suppose to eat those guys!!LOL