PDA

View Full Version : Felt Good To Shoot Again!

Big_Holla
06-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Some of you may remember that back in March I had surgery on my neck to repair two herniated disks. Well, I recently got the all clear to start doing things I have had to put on hold. The first thing on my list was to simply shoot my bow again. That is the one thing I was so nervous and concerned with when I had surgery and was told with time I would be OK to do it again. Well, last night was the night. I tried pulling my bow back at my regular weight, thinking it would be no big deal to pull back the 62 lbs. Well, I was wrong. I quickly was taken back to a time when I was younger and my two cousins thought it was funny to see me struggle to attempt to try to pull back their higher poundage bows and barely budge them. Well, after cranking it down two full turns I was able to (weak) muscle it back and take my first shot in many months. Wow did that feel GREAT!! I only shot for a little while as I could feel my muscles in my neck and shoulder being tested like they hadn't in a long while. All is good though and I simply cannot wait to run a few more arrows through it!!!

Pep4
06-11-2012, 01:37 PM
great to hear! sort of funny, one of the first things i think about when i injure something like my back is that i hope i can still shoot my bow and use my climbing stand!

tim1676
06-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Good deal...Stay on a little at a time, don't push to hard to fast, and youshould be good by Oct.

Seeker Bp
06-11-2012, 04:27 PM
I am so glad to hear that Big< thats awesome... Just dont over do it!! Little bit at a time!! Good to hear your getting back at things.. Seeker

buckbuster217
06-11-2012, 06:33 PM
Really great to hear this Chuck! just don't over do it, you don't realize how much you miss stuff like this until you can't do it!

FallnTimber
06-11-2012, 06:34 PM
well Big holla you give me some hope. I have 2 herniated discs in my lower back and was wondering what it will be like if i have surgery. Thanks for your post it took some worry off my mind. I go to see the neuro surgeon wenesday to see what he's going to do. Thanks again

Mike F
06-11-2012, 07:53 PM
I didn't know you even had a bow. LOL
Glad to hear your back in the saddle.

patmc81
06-11-2012, 08:45 PM
Take it slow buddy, and enjoy!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Big_Holla
06-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Thanks everyone! Will surely take my time on this one, definitely don't need any set-backs!

I didn't know you even had a bow. LOL
Glad to hear your back in the saddle.

Uh.....yeah.............

http://www.3riversarchery.com/images/large/2378.jpg

Griz
06-13-2012, 02:07 PM
Good news!! I remember when all this went down you were wondering if you were going to be able to throw ball with your kids again. I'm sure its been a struggle. Its great your shooting and before you know it you'll be hanging stands.

Big_Holla
06-13-2012, 10:52 PM
well Big holla you give me some hope. I have 2 herniated discs in my lower back and was wondering what it will be like if i have surgery. Thanks for your post it took some worry off my mind. I go to see the neuro surgeon wenesday to see what he's going to do. Thanks again

Wondering how the doc visit went FallnTimber! Held off to see what the doc said to you about surgery. For me there was no other option as the pain was unbearable! They had me on a couple different pain relievers and muscle relaxers but I still could barely get 1/2 hour of sleep at the time. My arm hurt so bad that I actually bruised it up and down just from rubbing and kneading it. I remember the only time the pain was going away was when I was in the hospital waiting for surgery as they hooked up a good ole morphine pump. After waking up the pain was gone! Sure my neck hurt a little which is where they went in to put in the plates and screws and all. Within a week I felt like I was completely better and many times the next month or so I would really have to watch myself to keep from over doing it. Now I can't believe I even went through all that a couple months ago. Time sure has flown by! Whatever you decide I hope you feel comfort knowing that I will be praying for you to heal and get through all of it pain free!!

Good news!! I remember when all this went down you were wondering if you were going to be able to throw ball with your kids again. I'm sure its been a struggle. Its great your shooting and before you know it you'll be hanging stands.

Thanks Griz! That was the one thing I was really looking forward to doing, playing catch with the kids. I actually cheated and started catching for my daughter's pitching before the doc said it was OK. Once I got the all clear the only thing they said was not to throw over hand for a while longer as they felt that this may have been partly to blame for the herniated disks. So, I have learned to throw back the ball pretty good and fast underhand to both my son and daughter. Surprising how much strength I have lost though, well...not that I had much to begin with!! LOL! The bow was a shock but now that I am starting to do more again I can certainly feel it.

blackbeard
06-14-2012, 05:43 PM
Glad you're back with your bow in hand, I hadn't shot mine much over the winter and have had it out a lot lately and it does feel great. Stay healthy Holla!

FallnTimber
06-14-2012, 11:57 PM
Thanks Big Holla, well he said that they would go in and pretty much remove both discs. He didn't want to do a fusion b/c of my age but did say they could naturally fuse by themselves. I know your feeling of pain fortunately my pain is down a lot from what it has been. I'm still able to shoot anyways. But, as you know any one "wrong" move and I'm back to square one. He also stated that I may want to change occupations, which I've had in the back of my head since I 1st went into the hospital last August. I don't know what to do about that though. Thank's again for the prayers. Glad that your back to being able to function again!!

Big_Holla
06-15-2012, 07:57 AM
Good to hear you are out shooting too now Blackbeard!! I have often wondered if you had any recurring problems from your fall years ago??

FallnTimber, if you don't mind me asking...what do you do for a living?? My dad for years has suffered with lower back issues. His would pop out at the most inopportune times...putting socks on, sneezing, you name it. One of my earliest memories was going to visit him in the hospital while he was in traction. The back is the one thing I think most of us take for granted but as soon as it's hurt it can shut us down completely!!

FallnTimber
06-15-2012, 11:26 AM
I was cutting trees and running forestry equipment. Thats how I hurt my back to begin with in WV on a really steap hill. Your right about the back thing....I thought I was a tank...key word is thought. Now I'm wondering If it's going to be a life long issue to deal with. More than likely is.

redneckross
06-15-2012, 06:27 PM
congrats chuck. little by little youll be back to stacking up the carbon.

Big_Holla
06-19-2012, 07:44 AM
Got to shoot with the whole family on Father's day. Allen and Jenna shot at the 3D deer target and momma and I shot at the big target. Now that was how I wanted to spend my day!! Love it!

Newbowhunter32
06-27-2012, 04:10 PM
Glad to hear things are going so well Big Holla. I can only imagine how devastating something like that would be and glad to hear you are making a good recovery and back to doing things you love with your family

gonehunting 45
06-30-2012, 07:59 AM
Its good to know your back to shooting the bow BH. Sounds like a great fathers day. Dont push to hard a little at a time is a good thing.

YouthHunter
07-05-2012, 12:34 AM
That's good to hear! Can't wait until I get to shoot again as well!!

Big_Holla
07-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Thanks again fella's! Too bad my shooting has taken a back seat lately. We are in the heart of softball season for my daughter with tournaments like crazy through the rest of this month and early August. Man am I whipped!!

Griz
07-12-2012, 08:14 AM
Thanks again fella's! Too bad my shooting has taken a back seat lately. We are in the heart of softball season for my daughter with tournaments like crazy through the rest of this month and early August. Man am I whipped!!

Whipped!! Don,t feel bad, little girls have a way about them. I have four granddaughters and they get pretty much what they want. One day they all grow up and we both will remember the moments we spent with them.

Big_Holla
07-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Whipped!! Don,t feel bad, little girls have a way about them. I have four granddaughters and they get pretty much what they want. One day they all grow up and we both will remember the moments we spent with them.

Yeah, whipped in two ways really. I would and do anything for my kids and they know it......which leads me to the second version....whipped to exhaustion from all the running!! LOL Aah it's all in good fun though!

4arms
07-12-2012, 05:04 PM
Great to hear Chuck. Hopefully you will be fillin' the freezer soon enough..