PDA

View Full Version : Fletching your own Carbon Arrows

tim1676
05-31-2012, 03:36 PM
Anyone fletch their own carbon arrows? If so, I have a couple questions.

1) What glue do you use
2) What do you use to clean the shaft before glueing

I have a jig, which I forget the name, and use a right hand offset with 4" vanes. I also use gel type CA glue, but have been having problems with the fletchings coming off pretty easy(in my opinion).

Anyone with any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

rednecklb69
05-31-2012, 09:02 PM
I have used the ones you slipon and dip in hot water. They are very simple and fly just like new

bds9
06-01-2012, 09:25 AM
Use fletch-tite glue, I think that bohning makes it. its kinda flexible which prevents a lot of tearing from the shaft yet sturdy enough that they are hard to come off. They cut right off with an arrow stripper as well when it comes time to fletch again. I always use wraps personally, so I just glue directly to the wrap after wiping it down with alcohol. If I'm fletching directly to the shaft, I always us the finest scotch-brite pad you can find and gently scuff the end of the arrow. Be careful though, if you have an arrow with a real glossy finish you can take the finish off with it. But I've NEVER had a fletching come loose, I've cut them which you cant prevent, but they always last me until i decide to change colors or wraps.

Mike F
06-01-2012, 12:49 PM
A lot of it also depends on the fletch manufactor. You might check and see what they recommend.
Some of them use a ca fast set, type adhesive, and some work better with the fletch-tite adhesives.

Big_Holla
06-01-2012, 10:30 PM
If you use wraps on your shafts you will likely solve your problem with just about any fletching glue. I use Bohning Fletch Tite Platinum and never have a problem with that combination. If you do use wraps, start your first fletch directly over the seam.

MQ1
06-02-2012, 02:31 AM
If you are re-fletching your shafts purchase a stripping tool so you wont damage the integrity of the carbon. and carefully remove the vanes. Then with new or re-used shafts i use a very fine sandpaper , dont be aggressive about it its just to rough it up a bit and removes any remaining glue if your re-fletching. Then use a 90% alcohol , which you can get at a drug store , dont over wipe with it , you just want to get any oils , dirt , etc. off the shaft , be sure to let the alcohol dry completely before you start gluing and dont handle the surface after you do this due to the oils on your hand. I have had real good luck with AAE FASTSET , heres a tip after you remove your fletched arrows from the jig put a small drop at both ends of the vanes where they meet the shaft, this will make the vanes stay on much better even with a pass through of your targets etc. Hope this helps ya.

tim1676
06-04-2012, 08:21 AM
Thanks for all the tips...

Tim

Rgarner
06-04-2012, 10:31 PM
I use the quick spin that you dip in water they did loosen up and slide but I re-dipped them in boiling water and they tightened right up.

4arms
06-05-2012, 10:25 AM
I use wraps on my carbon arrows to make it easier to re-fletch. Plus it adds a bit of fun to arrow building. My jig is a single stage Bitzenburger and fletch-tite platinum glue. I may switch glues this year though has I've had a few fletches loosen at the front edge while practicing.

Big_Holla
06-05-2012, 02:12 PM
I use wraps on my carbon arrows to make it easier to re-fletch. Plus it adds a bit of fun to arrow building. My jig is a single stage Bitzenburger and fletch-tite platinum glue. I may switch glues this year though has I've had a few fletches loosen at the front edge while practicing.

Good to see ya back on here 4arms!! One thing I always do is put a dab of glue on the front tip and back edge of the fletch to keep that from happening. Not a lot but enough to cover that leading edge to keep things from catching and ripping it off!!