PDA

View Full Version : bow hunting small game

RackCityOutdoors
05-08-2012, 02:13 AM
how many people try to hunt small game with your bow ?? jw ...im trying to get some good squirrel bow hunting footage this year it will help me scout some spots in this 7,000 acres of aep gavin area

buckstalker17
05-08-2012, 12:50 PM
Good luck with that those suckers are fast u better strap a reel to the bow to get the arrow back lol

RackCityOutdoors
05-09-2012, 05:57 PM
GOOGLE ZWICKEY KONDOR- UNLOSEABLE MIRACLE POINT ...NEVER WILL LOOSE THEM OR BREAK THEM ...

Jacobeee
01-29-2013, 04:20 AM
Hello all!
I have no experience whatsoever with bowhunting, but I was wondering if anyone has hunted or does hunt small game with a bow or crossbow.
Would it be something that requires an expert skill level?

Big_Holla
01-29-2013, 08:44 AM
I have used broadheads (while deer hunting), field points, blunt tips and Judo Points. By far I recommend the Judo Points. If your shots are at critters on the ground, good luck finding that arrow with anything other than a Judo Point. Jacobeee welcome to the site!! No it doesn't require an expert skill level, just someone who enjoys giving it a shot and won't get pissed at themselves for missing!! We all do when it comes to small game with a bow/crossbow.

Seeker Bp
01-29-2013, 10:31 AM
I too enjoy hunting all game with the bow. I hunt groundhog from the stand in the summer months, along with frogs. The frogs are a challenge, but it can be done, just watch the legs. Judo points are excellent for frogs. Groundhogs are fun just because you can locate some holes on a tree line, and find a good tree and sit and wait for them to come out to eat or sun themselves. Its excellent stand practice and also teaches the art of sitting still patiently! By far, rabbit hunting with a bow is my favorite! We eat alot of rabbit along with venison......The squirrels, I have slowed down on....I have several kills, but I also have several damaged arrows over the years....lol Get out and just enjoy! Good Luck, and welcome to BHO!

Stonegod
01-29-2013, 10:42 AM
I've taken several squirrels and rabbits this season with a 150g field point and haven't lost an arrow yet. It's a blast to take small game with my xbow and a good way to keep my confidence up on my shooting skills. My longest was a 47yd (range finder ) shot on a fox squirrel that was spread eagle on the side of a big oak tree sunning himself......aimed at his head....hit him in his head......amazed the crap out of me.lol All my shots were at 35+yds and free handed, except the 47yd squirrel..... that one was on shooting sticks as I sat In my blind. The rabbit I took at 43yds the other day I thought I'd lose that arrow for sure, but was able to follow the marks in the snow it made as it skipped along the ground. I've missed several shots on moving rabbits this year....one at 60+yds.....what was I thinking on that one?LOL......I'm a good shot with my xbow......but that one was just plain crazy.

mrbb
01-29-2013, 11:57 AM
well I too have hunted small game be it from a deer stand, or actually going after them with the bow, I have used all heads too
But I found I like using a .22 better LOL
and over the yrs so few people seem to want small game for food, I some what stopped due to that
I don't shot things I don't or somone I know will eat
but it was fun to challange myself on them smaller targets

Big_Holla
01-29-2013, 12:35 PM
Funny story to go along with this, I had a roommate up in college that only had a recurve to use for bowhunting. The guy was a great shot with it and really enjoyed flinging arrows that way. To this date I wonder if he has ever shot a deer with it. Back then he missed a couple deer cleanly and then would knock a squirrel deader than a doornail. One day he was headed out and a little chipmunk that always terrorized him started sounding off so he thought he'd give it a shot...sure enough he head shot that thing at what he said was about 20 yards!! LMAO! But he later missed a deer that day!

Stonegod
01-29-2013, 01:54 PM
Funny story to go along with this, I had a roommate up in college that only had a recurve to use for bowhunting. The guy was a great shot with it and really enjoyed flinging arrows that way. To this date I wonder if he has ever shot a deer with it. Back then he missed a couple deer cleanly and then would knock a squirrel deader than a doornail. One day he was headed out and a little chipmunk that always terrorized him started sounding off so he thought he'd give it a shot...sure enough he head shot that thing at what he said was about 20 yards!! LMAO! But he later missed a deer that day!

Well reading that makes me feel alittle better about my mishap the other day!

Whitetail Freak
01-29-2013, 04:45 PM
i bowhunt squirrels ,grounds hogs spot n stalk , and now that i c ya can bowhunt frogs iam gonna give that a go seeker will hve to try that this year sounds fun to bowhunt frogs lol then ya can show me how to cook em