PDA

View Full Version : Mock Scrapes

tim1676
05-03-2012, 12:07 PM
When does everyone start making mock scrapes, just like to get an idea when I should think about getting mine out?

Thanks,

Tim

BIGHUNTOH
05-03-2012, 12:12 PM
idk. I start when deer are in season, but maybe as early as September. I scout this time of year for bedding areas ya kno

RackCityOutdoors
05-03-2012, 01:13 PM
me and my buddies had alot of success making mock scrapes last year .... i think i read a article that someone posted on here a wile back about making them just under good over hanging branches and to just scrape them out with your boot and keep going ...placing no scent in them ... i was skeptical at first but after the first 5 trys three of the mock sites wore tore up and one site in particular i think we p****d a buck off because you could see were he had hit the mock site and in a matter of 3 days he had tripled the size of the scrape ....good luck ....try it ...it works ... at least for us ....and i would wait till the 2 week of October if u get a good response ...get a camera out to see what type of deer you are working with ....if he is a nice deer set up on that scrape line right after a long rainy morning he will come to refresh them scrapes and hopefully the luck goes your way...good hunting

archerymurray
05-07-2012, 01:33 PM
I make a couple every year around 2nd week of October. I pee in it and set a camera. I always use a field edge and use it solely to take inventory on my bucks. I get a ton of pics (95% night pics) If you scrape it they will come!

Big_Holla
05-07-2012, 08:41 PM
This is the perfect time to get mock scrapes prepared. By prepared I mean actually get the branches ready for your mock scrape. Sure any branch along a field edge can be used but if you are back in the woods or along some trail there may be a perfect location that can be made to work simply by prepping the site. Cleaning out debris, small trees, rocks, lower branches that are in the way, etc. are ways to get the site ready. One less thing you will need to do when you do start making the actual scrapes. Branches can be pulled down and tied into position and this time of year is good for doing it as the branches are limber.

tim1676
05-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Thanks for all the input, I think I will start setting them around the 1st of October and see if any of them get hit

Pep4
05-11-2012, 11:43 AM
I don't sit in a treestand without making a mock scrape within shooting range...no scent required but i use a stick to make it to avoid leaving scent...refresh it every time you sit in that stand...deer will smell the fresh earth and check it out almost every time! plus it occupies them to deter attention away from you and if its a deer you want to shoot this really helps for both bucks and does...one hint - don't make the scrape so the overhanging branch is facing your treestand...when deer check out the scrape they check out the overhanging branch and will be looking up right at you! this happened to me once and the buck moon walked backwards out of there...shoot straight, shoot Hoyt!

Big_Holla
05-15-2012, 01:57 PM
Tim1676 you will want to start at least cleaning out your scrapes by mid August. You don't necessarily need to put scent in them but getting the scraping action going early, before other bucks start, will help get them to be primary scrapes in your area. By the beginning of Sept. you can start adding buck urine or for me I would start urinating in them.

tim1676
05-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Tim1676 you will want to start at least cleaning out your scrapes by mid August. You don't necessarily need to put scent in them but getting the scraping action going early, before other bucks start, will help get them to be primary scrapes in your area. By the beginning of Sept. you can start adding buck urine or for me I would start urinating in them.

Thanks Big Holla, seems like good advice