PDA

View Full Version : New to turkey hunting. Got some ??

BIGHUNTOH
04-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Ok.. First off I'm an avid deer hunter, but im quite new to turkey hunting. I plan to go out this weekend probably saturday and sunday. Any advise on location to set up? I have a blind should I set it up now or wait till saturday? Do the turkeys no the woods like deer, or would they not be able to pick out a blind? I have a very large field to hunt on (around 200acre), should I set up on the field by a thicket?? Any advise would be appreciated!!

Big_Holla
04-25-2012, 12:12 PM
If it's private land and you are not worried about the blind coming up missing I would put it up and leave it up. You will hear many say that you can just pop up a blind and hunt turkeys but any smart birds may figure out that something is amiss. It isn't easy setting one up quietly in the early morning the day of a hunt anyways. Field edges are best, backing it up against a thicket is good. If you are setting it in the woods then keep in mind turkeys like to be able to see distances so the more open woods the better IMO. If you have time to sit somewhere and listen in the evenings you may be able to figure out common roosting sites by hearing them fly up to roost.

BIGHUNTOH
04-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Does the field matter? I have two fields on the property I hunt, one is a large wheat field about knee high now. the other is tilled corn. The property is private, so I'm not that worried about the blind being stolen. thanks

blackbeard
04-26-2012, 07:59 AM
Does the field matter? I have two fields on the property I hunt, one is a large wheat field about knee high now. the other is tilled corn. The property is private, so I'm not that worried about the blind being stolen. thanks

The turkeys won't be in the knee high wheat field and will be in the tilled corn for sure. They like being able to get worms, bugs, etc from the freshly tilled dirt. Before you setup a blind I'd figure out where the turkeys are roosting, strutting, and feeding. Then get between one of the two. They probably won't pay much attention to the blind but since it sounds like you are going out there not knowing much about where the turkeys will be I'd leave it home this weekend and try to learn more about them to be ready for next weekend.

BIGHUNTOH
04-26-2012, 10:16 AM
used some advise from a previous thread and bought a crow call. Went out at sunset and found some roosting turkeys on the edge of the tilled corn field, The woods in this area are very open with large hilly areas. This area looks promising for the coming weeks. Thanks all!!

Stumpy
04-26-2012, 04:03 PM
Sounds like you have a good start. Just pay attention to where they are roosting and don't get too close. Bustin them off the roost in the pre-dawn is not good. I agree with Blackbeard. Go out this weekend without the blind and get some feel for how they fly down and move. Then get the setup with the blind.

BIGHUNTOH
04-30-2012, 10:10 AM
well got out for my first time saturday morning. Called a bit and brought my flock off hen decoys. Thought I heard a gobble a ways off but with so much noise in the woods this time of year I'm not sure. Are the toms still strutting in everyones woods still??