PDA

View Full Version : OK who's planting a spring plot??

mrbb
04-08-2012, 11:31 PM
Ok anyone doing any food plots

I have started propping a few sites, turned over about 3 acres so far

green up is happening so fast this yr it seems

not usre what I am planting , yet, but trying to keep the gorund soft and ready one I do!! had it limed a few weeks ago, so mixing the he lime as good as I can too!

so??
anyone planting

PUMPHOUSE OUTDOORS
04-17-2012, 10:31 AM
Here are a few pics of a clover and chicory plot I just put in. pics show before clean up, after clean up, after lime, and after tilling and harrow.just seeded this past sat. Its about 3/8 acre surounded buy thick bedding area which is the area we never steph foot in no matter what time of year.hope everything takes! Got my fertilizer ready for after everything starts growing. 0-26-26

mrbb
04-17-2012, 08:56 PM
well looks liek alot of sweat went into that site prep

I would stronglu suggest you fertilize now, new seds ned it as soon as they get growing

and I would , unless your soil test said no nitrogen, add some ,
clover will make its own but needs it to get started!!

good luck , post some pic's as it fills in

just got all my chemicals will be spraying next week, to a few plot sites I have

good luck hope you get good weather now too!!

no trespassing
05-03-2012, 07:14 PM
The only planting I will be doing is continue planting a gobblers behind on the ground.....can't stand spring plots too many weed issues. I won't start planting unti mid august when I till up some old clover patches and put them to the tune of my cereal grain/clover mix. Fall plots are much easier to deal with and maintain.

mrbb
05-06-2012, 09:04 PM
Notrespassing, I agree, fall plots can be a lot less problem issues

BUT, your loosing a lot of months of high qualiety feed to your does that are nursing, the bucks that are growingantlers and the fawns as they grow

HIGH quality feed, can me inches of bone, and lbs of weight on deer
and overall health on your wildlife on your lands

and if your looking to kill turkeys spring plots make great strutting area's and places for them to eat as well!

but I get thge less troubles in a fall planting, and the added draw of a new feed in fall as well!, all the more so when crops start to get cut!

PUMPHOUSE OUTDOORS
05-30-2012, 05:23 PM
85008501 here are a couple pic s of my clover plot that I started in my previous post. It took very well! I would recommend heartland seed company"forested trail" to anyone trying to put in a plot in the woods were sunlight in minimum.I also over seeded with whitetail ins. Imperial clover for some added flavor! And it also took very well.