PDA

View Full Version : Feeder

Mightymet
04-01-2012, 08:12 AM
Was wandering when I should be getting my feeders out there. I am setting a couple trophy rocks out today. Also should I set it by the rock or in a different location? I am fairly new to hunting and am trying to do things right.

mrbb
04-01-2012, 11:50 AM
well you can run a feeder all yr if you like

but to help a deer out winter is when a feeder is best for them , as thats the ahardest time of yr to find food for them

now thiongs are greening up, its gets easier here on out!

but has to be kept going all winter to really help at all

have to ask yourself what are you wnating to do with a feeder?? and then go from there!

as for a TR , well, I found that placing corn on it at first helps deer find it sooner
but not needed it the deer wnat it, they can smell them too as is!

minerals I think are more importany now till say sept, than any other time of teh yr so put them out now if you can!

Big_Holla
04-01-2012, 06:25 PM
You often will hear people say to put your minerals in close proximity to water as they often will want it soon after. I would say to put it separately from the feeder. Feeders will really attract does and once they start dropping fawns they will really become protective of that food source. Same can happen with the Trophy Rocks but if they are separate then you have a good chance of the bucks being able to get to one or the other as well.

hortontoter
04-02-2012, 07:46 AM
mrbb and BH both gave good advice. I am a big fan of the Trophy Rock. I put mine at trail intersections and put a camera over them. April-Sept. is when the rock will be used the most. The bucks crave the minerals during antler development which lets your camera give you a good inventory of the bucks using your area. The bucks were there all times day and night last summer.

Mightymet
04-02-2012, 11:33 PM
Placed the trophy rock on the far south end of the property where we located what looks to be a highly traveled intersection about twenty yards from a stream. The spot is elevated enough that even if we get real heavy rains it shouldn't flood. Going to get a cam out there in a couple weeks. We also threw a bag ad minerals out in another spot and did get a cam on that. We will see what happens. I think I am going to place my feeder in a location that is going to hopefully draw them past me but that I am not actually hunting the feeder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hortontoter
04-03-2012, 07:12 AM
I've found that bucks tend to shy away from my feeder if I have it in an open area. The bucks used it fairly often when I had it set up right in the woods. Last season I moved it into my creek bottom, which I keep mowed. My creek bottom looks a lot like a lawn with a lot of standing trees. The feeder saw much less activity in the open area. I saw the same results with my Trophy Rock in the same two locations.

With your plan you should be posting some developing antlers soon. Keep us posted.

Big_Holla
04-03-2012, 09:08 AM
Sounds like a good plan and a good start in the making for you Mightymet!! Cannot wait to see some pics!!

Mightymet
04-03-2012, 11:02 PM
Sounds like a good plan and a good start in the making for you Mightymet!! Cannot wait to see some pics!!

Me either. I may try to get out there this Saturday and see what the camera had to show us.

patmc81
04-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Patients' buddy! Lol and stop calling me your partner, people around here will start to think and talk lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Mightymet
04-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Patients' buddy! Lol and stop calling me your partner, people around here will start to think and talk lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Ok "buddy". We will wait till next weekend to check it out. Maybe I will have another camera by then anyway.