PDA

View Full Version : Trail cams

Mightymet
03-31-2012, 11:27 PM
Wasn't sure where to post this but this looked like a good spot. Was wondering what trail cams you guys are using and what you feel is the best for the money. Thanks.

hortontoter
04-01-2012, 12:06 AM
I use both a Bushnell Trophy Cam and a Wildgame Innovations X6C. I have had good results with both for being fairly inexpensive models. The Bushnell gives me more options the the X6C, such as multiple burst mode and trip time intervals. The best for the money will get you many different opinions. Your camera budget will be a factor. Also where you intend to place it should be a factor. If placing a camera in an area that it is at theft risk I'd suggest a less expensive model as sooner or later they tend to come up missing.

Mightymet
04-01-2012, 08:03 AM
I am planning to set one on a trophy rock and possibly on what looks like a major intersection. Then on my feeder later in the year.

mrbb
04-01-2012, 11:57 AM
well here is my take on cams

you get what you pay for

they all work OK over a bait pile, but the cheaper one's are very slow to wake up and take a pic, thus on a trail they miss tons of pic's
and
not saying there the best cam's out there!

but,
the cuddlebacks have the best set up on metal boxes to help prevent thieft, all the others I have seen still leave the lock exposed to just be cut off with cutters, the Cuddlebacks, design, covers the lock with the box to make cutting it off a lot more work!!

they are the only cam company on the market that has the lock protected once on the box!!
wish they made it out of beefier metel to be honest, that goes for all the companys!!

or some company with put GPS chipc in them so you can recover them!!

so they get my vote due to just that, as thieft is a huge deal my way

and they have very fast trigger speeds too a bonus!

been using there products since 1998( and lot of others)
get a few yrs out of most cuddleback cams before they seem grow legs!!, so seem to last OK -ish, don't have longer testing due again to getting stolen!

all the other makes have lasted 1-2 yrs before developing problems, some right out of the box too!
quality control does seem to be big deal in cam comapnys!!

but cams I think are at times like puppies , pick of the litter never know if this one or that one will be great no matter the maker!/blood lines!

may get a great one, or may get a dud!!
even off same name cam company!

look at a few of teh game cam reviews sites lots out there , many do good comparison's to show trigger speeds battery life and stuff!

Big_Holla
04-01-2012, 06:18 PM
You can go with so many options these days. Cheaper allows you to buy a couple for the same price, won't get you as upset if stolen, can let you down when you are really hoping for fast trigger speed and reliability. More expensive often does mean a better camera, more reliability and in general, faster trigger speeds. You can do some homework or simply get a couple of recommendations.

For me I have used 2 Moultrie cameras and one Buck Eye Cam. By far the BEC is one of the most expensive cameras out there but I dare to say I have gotten tens of thousands of pictures over the many years (thinking 4 years now) where it has been out almost every day of the year, year round. Just recently the battery has failed. The Moultrie cams, the first was one of their first ones and really was crap. Lucky if I could get over a week on a store bought 6 cell battery, even the good one's! The second camera still works and works pretty well. Not nearly as sensitive as the BEC but it was also about half the cost. Now those are all about 4 years old now so keep in mind so many have gotten better in the past several years.

If you want to do some research on cams and see what you are getting into before you do it you need to check out the review sections at the following websites:

http://www.chasingame.com/

http://www.trailcampro.com/trailcamerareviews.aspx

Chasing Game really puts the camera's to the test. I haven't really looked much at Trail Cam Pro but the site has been getting a lot of advertisement the last couple years.

Griz
04-02-2012, 08:10 AM
You can go with so many options these days. Cheaper allows you to buy a couple for the same price, won't get you as upset if stolen, can let you down when you are really hoping for fast trigger speed and reliability. More expensive often does mean a better camera, more reliability and in general, faster trigger speeds. You can do some homework or simply get a couple of recommendations.

For me I have used 2 Moultrie cameras and one Buck Eye Cam. By far the BEC is one of the most expensive cameras out there but I dare to say I have gotten tens of thousands of pictures over the many years (thinking 4 years now) where it has been out almost every day of the year, year round. Just recently the battery has failed. The Moultrie cams, the first was one of their first ones and really was crap. Lucky if I could get over a week on a store bought 6 cell battery, even the good one's! The second camera still works and works pretty well. Not nearly as sensitive as the BEC but it was also about half the cost. Now those are all about 4 years old now so keep in mind so many have gotten better in the past several years.

If you want to do some research on cams and see what you are getting into before you do it you need to check out the review sections at the following websites:

http://www.chasingame.com/

http://www.trailcampro.com/trailcamerareviews.aspx

Chasing Game really puts the camera's to the test. I haven't really looked much at Trail Cam Pro but the site has been getting a lot of advertisement the last couple years.

I've looked both these sites over and they are great. Thanks for the info!

Big_Holla
04-02-2012, 10:14 AM
I've looked both these sites over and they are great. Thanks for the info!

You are welcome!! It's surprising what little things they find out about the cameras. Not just whether they work or not but everything from how complicated they are to run, durability, flash range, clarity, etc.. Definitely sites well worth passing on........

Mightymet
04-02-2012, 11:26 PM
Yes. Both those sites were very helpful. I just need to decide if I really want to spend the money for the one I really want or buy a couple less expensive ones an sacrifice a little speed and range. I think the locations I am wanting to put them I can use less trigger speed for. I am definitely going to put one on the trophy Rock I set this past weekend. that one doesn't need to be great just want to see what shows up. The other location is probably going to be a game trail. That one needs to be pretty good. I am so torn. I just can't bring my self to pony up for the reconyx. It's the one I want but damn is it pricy. I am going to have to look around and see if I can find a used one maybe. I will let you know what I end up doing and hopefully post some pics. We did set my partners moultry camera on a mineral lick we set out. Will be checking that out this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crossfire
04-26-2012, 07:56 AM
I'm using a Moultrie M100 & two M80's. I'm very pleased with the performance of these cams

Griz
04-28-2012, 09:55 AM
I'm using a Moultrie M100 & two M80's. I'm very pleased with the performance of these cams

Hey Crossfire, I've got a Moultrie M80 and can't get the Plot cam to work. Any suggestions? Everything else works fine.