PDA

View Full Version : Your 2011 Deer Season Review

blackbeard
03-08-2012, 10:03 PM
So let's hear about your 2011 bow season in 3-5 sentences. Did you accomplish your goals? How did it go for you in general?

I'll go first. I saw a fair amount of deer although I hunted the least I have hunted in 10 years (2 year old and newborn on 11/16/11). I shot two does and had a lot of chances at 100-115" bucks. I saw only 4 mature bucks worth shooting but none ever got closer than 40 yards. It was a disappointing season in general and since I didn't kill a mature buck for the wall I did not accomplish all of my goals.

mrbb
03-08-2012, 10:43 PM
in a nut shell my worst season here in Pa, and never left teh state on a hunt too! so bad all over!

had a few chance's a few nice bucks, missed two ,clean miss's , and my fault, and left the rest walk! more or less!

lost my drive to hunt, so that was a first and never killed a deer, again a first in all my yrs hunting
so my worst yr on record deer hunting, or just hunting all together!

longdraw
03-08-2012, 11:01 PM
1 word....SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Griz
03-09-2012, 08:13 AM
I shot my first velvet buck on the second day of the season. I could only hunt early morning, late evening, because of work. And did not leave the state. I think that bugs me the worst. I did see two really good bucks for NH, and they gave me no shot. Thats bow hunting .But all and all a pretty good yr. Yext yr I.m coming to Ohio one way or another!!

Tray11
03-09-2012, 08:17 AM
This pretty much sums up my year. http://www.wiredoutdoors.com/our_show/w11.html
The buck Splitter 13 that I patterned all summer and I blew it. Hopefully it will make me a better bowhunter.

tim1676
03-09-2012, 09:14 AM
Had a decent year. Took a doe early on, passed on a couple smaller bucks, got outfoxed by one shooter and passed on another mature buck early, was holdin out for a better rack. Didn't see many shooters this year?

MICH
03-10-2012, 05:25 PM
i was happy with my 5 days in ohio, saw 4 bucks i would shoot,lots of bucks on cam. at night....like to have filled my tag,but for me that doesn't mean success,first full year down there sooooo, cann't wait for nov. 7,

CityBoyzOutdoors
03-10-2012, 10:37 PM
There was no real rut, it was so stretched that it had no real peak. Our team was hunting hard but only Cody managed to kill a 125" buck for one of our episodes. Jeff had a mature 8 with a broken g2 during friday of gun season and couldnt recover him after a low shot. We only have 6 months left to wait till we can redeem ourselves. Come like us on facebook to view all of our episodes before they come out on DVD!

hortontoter
03-11-2012, 10:19 AM
My season was not what I had hoped for. First time since I started hunting with my crossbow that I didn't take a shot the entire season. Passed an easy doe the first morning and a smaller eight point on the second morning. I did learn a couple of keys to deer movement on my property though. Hopefully what I learned will pay off in October/November.

offtheground
03-11-2012, 11:10 AM
Wet and windy is what comes to mind first! Seen only one mature buck at 60+ yards, worst season for me as a hunter but best as a guide, lol. My son took his first deer this year and then took a small buck for his next deer with less than 10 hours total in stand (my stand and scouting) thank you very much. My buddy from Florida finally put one on the ground after three trips up. LOL
Did not help with the new boozo hunters on the property this year.

archerymurray
03-11-2012, 05:58 PM
I feel this was another wierd trickle style rut that just never seemed to blow open, atleast during daylight hours. My overall buck sightings have been way down the last two seasons. However my trail cams were telling me they were there. I managed to take a doe with my recurve early on and I got a 132" ten on Nov 4th. Not overwelmed with joy but satisfied I guess.

BowGuy2
03-12-2012, 10:18 AM
Did not see a lot of of big bucks was my only down fall this year I killed 5 deer this year all with my bow a buck a button buck and 3 mature doe. It was a fun year it seemed to fly by tho. Counting down the days untill next season

ManOfTheFall
03-13-2012, 02:38 AM
My goals are usually pretty standard every year. Fill the freezers(2), did that. Fill all of my tags, did that. Shoot a mature buck over 140", did that. Shoot my biggest buck ever, did that. This was one of my best years ever and I did it with less time in the woods. This year I really paid attention to weather and wind and it paid off big time. In years past I went out every opportunity I had and even though I normally fill all my tags and shoot a nice buck it usually would be spent with probably 3 times as much time in the stand.

Big_Holla
03-13-2012, 09:54 PM
I shot my best buck ever which far exceeded my dreams. The shot wasn't as good as it should have been, even though I still never would have thought it's location would have allowed the deer to live and travel as far as it should have, but nonetheless I could have done better. As far as my other stands none panned out like I had hoped they would. Some of which was new pressure on bordering property that we never had to contend with. So even though I have had to get a cape to have my dream buck mounted I would say it was one of my best to date.

Genesis 9:3
03-24-2012, 09:12 AM
Starting late in November didn't help. First year hunting, effectively. Shot my first buck(200lb + 8pt & first deer ever) this year. I have fed my family this year, at least for a little while :) I am pleased with the season, even if I never got a doe for the freezer.

*I got a (new to me) bow, so I have much higher goals for next year.

MQ1
03-26-2012, 02:15 PM
One word TUFF , i did not hunt as much this year as i would have liked to due to finishing our house, i normally only miss 7-10 days a season. so starting late was ruff on me personally, We have dog issues here (5) that are now running deer so that does not help at all, but i did and was chasing a nice 10 at the end of season with 4 other bucks , but he would only get within 50 yards of me. Funny how the big ole boys learn to stay just that much from the field edge. especially after the gun seasons.

Newbowhunter32
03-27-2012, 01:27 PM
Well, I have to be happy all in all, since this was my first year to kill a deer with a bow. Missed an eight point my first night out. Took a doe the next night. Hunted 10-12 more times and saw a few deer including a nice ten point several times, but never got closer than 80 yards. My brother saw the ten point again the second to last day of bow season, so we have high hopes of getting a little closer to him next year...

Bushman
04-14-2012, 06:47 PM
Why it was my first attempt hunting ohio and needless to say it was quite a learning experience. Had to hunt public land gun with little scouting time. Saw a few deer but tons of hunters. Ended up with tag soup. This year is looking up. I already obtained permission on 2 different small, but private properties in Belmont co. Currently shopping for a decent slugger. Need to get some minerals out now then trail cams later on.

blackbeard
04-21-2012, 09:39 AM
No shots Hortontoter, now that's a disappointing season!

Pep4
05-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Not a very good archery season in PA or OH...Ohio we had 4 guys at archery camp for 7 days and hardly saw any deer...i hunted every day and only saw 2 deer from stand! We were hunting mostly public land...we need to get some private land either lease or permission soon! PA wasn't good either...saw more deer this year than in the past few years but no shooter bucks...passed quite a few...the rut was hit and miss day in and day out and depending where you hunted...not many bucks were taken during the "easy stick" season as the weather wasn't very good so i'm excited for this year!!!
Shoot straight,
Pep4