PDA

View Full Version : Tree Stands/climbing sticks ladders

Griz
02-27-2012, 08:05 AM
I just removed a stand that was in for 3 yrs. The straps were tight and dry. I've not had any failures yet and I don't want one. I think the tree growing for 3 yrs put the straps under alot of tress. How long do you go before replaceing ratched straps and pull straps ? Also, can anyone who has had a accident comment on what they think went wrong.

Bigcity
02-27-2012, 10:44 AM
Straps are something that you don't want to take a chance on anytime. They're cheap enough to replace every year if you leave the stand up all year or every other year if you remove your stands. JM2C's. The nylon and other materials they're made of don't hold up well to weather and UV light. I notice after about a year they become dry and don't seem to have that luster they have when new. I also watch closely the steel cables that come on most hang-on style stands for rust. They usually hold the platform up and if that goes, you better have a good harness on. Not worth taking a chance on and you can always use the old straps for other chores like holding firewood on 4-wheeler and such.

Maxxis31
02-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Wow Griz, 3 yrs is really pushing the limits for those straps,like Bigcity said they dont hold up very well to weather and UVlight, i would deffinetly replace them, i pull my stands every season, and replace straps every other, just my safety concious ways i guess.

taylor6400
02-28-2012, 02:35 PM
My brother in law left a stand in my woods for what had to be 5 years before i took it down. I had to hook my winch strap to it and winch it off the tree because it was starting to grow in. I cut the straps because they were so tight. But actually they had help up pretty well...they were the seat belt type webbing. This stand also had sticks in it and i had to cut those straps too...but they held me on the way up with no issues.

I agree...be safe and replace them. But i dont think they would fail after 3 years. Though the tension with the tree growing makes me pretty nervous.

Griz
02-28-2012, 10:44 PM
I do double strap the stand itself and wear a harness. You guys are probably right, I shouldn't let them go that long. Its a good time of the yr to do all the maintanence and be ready next season.

blackbeard
03-08-2012, 09:28 PM
Straps are something that you don't want to take a chance on anytime. They're cheap enough to replace every year if you leave the stand up all year or every other year if you remove your stands.

Pretty much sums it up. I'm more picky about the straps that hold my treestands to the tree and the strap at the very top of the ladder stick, those are the ones that you can't afford to have break. Never take any chances though, a fall is not worth the pain nor money for hospital bills, believe me I know.

140class
03-22-2012, 09:57 AM
What about the steel cables , on the platform ????? or the bolts to the cables and platforms