PDA

View Full Version : do you believe in QDM

at1010
02-21-2012, 01:36 PM
I am just curious as to how many guys believe in QDM or TDM here in Ohio. I feel like it has really caught on in past years and though many guys complained this year about low deer numbers I think overall this is a better trend for Ohio to be heading in. QDM is a proven system, if Ohio has any problems on deer numbers it is because of Zone C being a 6 deer area, as for QDM on a smaller level such as 60 acres I do not see any problems with shooting a doe or two to keep your numbers in check it is all about balance, and I think if the state can find that balance, and hunters buy into it Ohio could be very similar to IOWA. Not to say Ohio already isnt producing some serious Booners!

mrbb
02-21-2012, 05:23 PM
I am firm believer in QDM
and wish more hunters were into it as well

as QDM isn't just hunting them, its also aboui helping habitat
which just helps so many anilams and even air quality as well

but I sadly think there will always be a bigger problem with cheaters than with any hunter that doesn't follow a QDM plan

poaching and cheaters to me are the biggest problems our deer face, they stir the pot for the anti's too, and just hurt all good hunters! and wildlife in general
bad always spreads faster than good!!

at1010
02-21-2012, 07:40 PM
I am firm believer in QDM
and wish more hunters were into it as well

as QDM isn't just hunting them, its also aboui helping habitat
which just helps so many anilams and even air quality as well

but I sadly think there will always be a bigger problem with cheaters than with any hunter that doesn't follow a QDM plan

poaching and cheaters to me are the biggest problems our deer face, they stir the pot for the anti's too, and just hurt all good hunters! and wildlife in general
bad always spreads faster than good!!

Very true and to the point post! I was hoping you would write in you seem to be very educated on deer hunting topics! I just think that QDM is great for all ages, let the kids smoke the does to get them into the sport teach them to help the heard, how to plant plots, and all that jazz!

Griz
02-22-2012, 09:27 AM
I also believe in QDM. There's no doubt. it makes the deer herd better for hunters. I wish my state embraced it more. But here brown is down. The Fish and Game disaproves of feeding the deer. I could go on and on. But back to Ohio. You guys in Ohio have a good thing going, relatively low license fees, lots of public land, good deer numbers with the chance at a booner. I've noticed on this site, alot of the hunters talk about letting young deer walk and planting food plots. The more guys who practice QDM the better.

I couldn't agree more with mrbb on cheaters, poachers. If we hunters who respect our game don't let these kind of loosers in our own hunting circle, and make it clear it is not tolerated. It will help! Also teach our youth hunters that the only way to take game is legaly.

at1010
02-22-2012, 03:13 PM
I also believe in QDM. There's no doubt. it makes the deer herd better for hunters. I wish my state embraced it more. But here brown is down. The Fish and Game disaproves of feeding the deer. I could go on and on. But back to Ohio. You guys in Ohio have a good thing going, relatively low license fees, lots of public land, good deer numbers with the chance at a booner. I've noticed on this site, alot of the hunters talk about letting young deer walk and planting food plots. The more guys who practice QDM the better.

I couldn't agree more with mrbb on cheaters, poachers. If we hunters who respect our game don't let these kind of loosers in our own hunting circle, and make it clear it is not tolerated. It will help! Also teach our youth hunters that the only way to take game is legaly.

nice post! I agree, these young guys need to realize that killing a big buck is GREAT, but you must do it legal, just cause he has big bone but is on the other side of the fence then you should take him. I think big antlers can be a great thing, but it can also drive some guys crazy just like drugs could. Other cheaters I feel are just these guys who love this "redneck" persona they put off, even though they couldnt find a deer trail if they were standing on one with deer crap on their boots.

rsawyers
02-22-2012, 03:22 PM
I am starting this year with a few food plots and some planted corn. We have 130 acres and we have never really focused on QDM but we are going to try this year. My problem is we have neighbors who do drives and they drive our property out at least once on gun season. They have a bunch if amish that hunt with them and they shoot everything. The only way to keep them off the property is to build a fence and they would still cut through it. I just have to hope the bucks stay bedded down and they can take all the does they want. Our ratio is pretty bad. Lots of does.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

at1010
02-22-2012, 06:15 PM
[QUOTE=rsawyers;135530]I am starting this year with a few food plots and some planted corn. We have 130 acres and we have never really focused on QDM but we are going to try this year. My problem is we have neighbors who do drives and they drive our property out at least once on gun season. They have a bunch if amish that hunt with them and they shoot everything. The only way to keep them off the property is to build a fence and they would still cut through it. I just have to hope the bucks stay bedded down and they can take all the does they want. Our ratio is pretty bad. Lots of does.

I would love to sit down and talk to you about a list of things you can do to help your property out! With them driving your farm you need to contact the game warden and let him know whats going on and hopefully he can stake out during bonus weekend or something! They would hope I didnt catch them on my place if they are that dang open about it!

MQ1
02-25-2012, 06:27 PM
I agree with the Deer Management part of it , everyone should try to do their part. we all know how frustrating that can be. neighbors .. brown its down .. yada yada...

As far as the QDMA i would have nothing to do with PAY for PLAY outfits like i understand them to be, It doesnt need to get to a rich mans only game .

rrennec2
02-26-2012, 10:13 AM
I am a firm believer in QDM but you need to make sure your surrounding neighbors are on the same program. I have been doing food plots for several years and have harvested bucks over 140 each year. This year was the first year I was unable to get close enough for a clean kill. The most important part is to let the little guys walk. Anyone can kill a buck, but is it a HUGE buck that would look great over your fireplace ? I get sick seeing these basket 6 - 8 - 10 being checked in and hunter telling everyone they shot a nice buck.
I have a few neighbors that shoot deer for the freezer but continue to shoot the little guys 4 and 6 point basket racks. If you want meat why not take out some large does. Everyone sees does take a few for the freezer. I wish Ohio had a point restriction because then you would see some Large Ohio Whitetails !
Good Luck practice QDM !

MQ1
02-26-2012, 12:45 PM
I am a firm believer in QDM but you need to make sure your surrounding neighbors are on the same program. I have been doing food plots for several years and have harvested bucks over 140 each year. This year was the first year I was unable to get close enough for a clean kill. The most important part is to let the little guys walk. Anyone can kill a buck, but is it a HUGE buck that would look great over your fireplace ? I get sick seeing these basket 6 - 8 - 10 being checked in and hunter telling everyone they shot a nice buck.
I have a few neighbors that shoot deer for the freezer but continue to shoot the little guys 4 and 6 point basket racks. If you want meat why not take out some large does. Everyone sees does take a few for the freezer. I wish Ohio had a point restriction because then you would see some Large Ohio Whitetails !
Good Luck practice QDM !

I agree 110% on the point restriction in Ohio , The results would be tremendous . As i understand it is working well in PA

Griz
02-26-2012, 02:19 PM
If you look back at my previous reply you see I do believe in QDM. I don't like brown is down. But I'm not sure if forcing it on others by making a law is a good thing. We all hunt for different reasons. Yes I let inmature deer walk. I will shoot does. But its not someone else tellling me I have to do it this way. You are doing the right thing, so maybe talking to your neigbors, showing them what QDM does and the protential it has will change there minds without making a law. We are all loosing our freedom for to many laws. I,m not trying to force my beliefs on anyone, I,m just try to make a point for discussion. Hopefully all the members and nonmembers that read these posts will thinks of whats best for the deer herd. Last but not least, we all need to stick together and get along to keep our sport avaialbe for the future.

MQ1
02-26-2012, 03:40 PM
I agree Griz what you are saying , that is the reason why i brought up the QDMA ,they over see land and require Pay to Play, those things are not setting good with me, Its not a gain of hunting ground , it would be a loss to those cant afford to Pay for the IE freedom to hunt , The point of restriction on points will increase the (QDM) quality (size) of bucks in Ohio, you can still kill a doe at will, so i am on the fence if that is a loss of a right...or just good management... I hunt for big bucks , its the force that drives me, I have killed well over 100 animals in my IE career, but the passion of killing Big Bucks has become a driving force to me if you will. I dont know maybe if it was all big bucks in Ohio to choose from maybe the drive to play the chess game would be lost. I just love being there, i pass on alot of deer do to the goal i have set for myself, I pray i have many many more years to come, simply I Love It. Not the kill so much but the game.

at1010
02-26-2012, 04:53 PM
passing on deer and watching them grow is truly magical, I know a buck on my buddies farm go from a 130s 3.5 year old to a 165 4.5 year old. This is truly amazing but isnt to be expected in all areas.

Griz
02-26-2012, 05:54 PM
MQ1, pay to play has gotten out of control in some states, Ohio not yet but its getting worse. Land owners are trying to make ends meet so they lease land, to outfitters, or just hunters. I have hired outfitters before just because of time issue's. I'm not sure it was money well spent? At this time I'm hunting public land, so that means if I want to scout I make a 1600 mi round trip plus days off work.
Then 7-10 dys during hunting season a place to stay and 1600 mi round trip. Don't get me wrong, my passion fuels these adventures. Taken all this into consideration, those hunters that live in states with poor deer population, or have no chance at a trophy fuels the pay to play way of hunting. You already know this but consider yourself lucky you live in Ohio and don't have to do what I do. Also every hunter out their can practice QDM by passing on small bucks, shooting does, and if you own land planting food plots, running feeders. Its not just for the pay for play outfits. I hope your time in the stand passing smaller animals is rewarded with a chance. That's all we want, is a chance.

at1010
02-26-2012, 09:36 PM
I think that hunting your own land makes it a whole lot easier to buy into QDM, I for one have hunted public land and shot small bucks this of course when I was only 12 years old and was still getting my bearings, but since owning my farm I love making habitat improvements in order to help out my deer and turkey herds. Also with me working with a wildlife biologist I love the fact of going to others land giving them a run down or everything on it, just makes me love hunting even more!

Griz
02-26-2012, 09:59 PM
I think that hunting your own land makes it a whole lot easier to buy into QDM, I for one have hunted public land and shot small bucks this of course when I was only 12 years old and was still getting my bearings, but since owning my farm I love making habitat improvements in order to help out my deer and turkey herds. Also with me working with a wildlife biologist I love the fact of going to others land giving them a run down or everything on it, just makes me love hunting even more!
Your fortunate to own your own farm. I'm sure you worked hard for it. QDM is alot like growing crops, you just have to wait a bit longer to pick your fruit. If I had the land, I'd be doing the same as you. May be some day?

at1010
02-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Your fortunate to own your own farm. I'm sure you worked hard for it. QDM is alot like growing crops, you just have to wait a bit longer to pick your fruit. If I had the land, I'd be doing the same as you. May be some day?

I hope you the best of luck! Owning land is freaking great, but like you stated it can be very frusturating, it is constant work also I am constantly cutting fire wood planting trees removing trees, planting plots, hanging stands, moving stands, thinking about what to plant in plots the next year, filling feeders, you get the point. I would say to you that if you get he opportunity dont be afraid to buy small becuase it will keep you busy! We are currently trying to buy my acreage next to us, and if it goes through I will be so busy I might have a heart attack! hahaha

badfaulkner
02-28-2012, 12:53 PM
I agree 110% on the point restriction in Ohio , The results would be tremendous . As i understand it is working well in PA

It depends on who you talk to. From what I've heard, a lot of pretty antlered deer with great genetics are being killed while lifetime forkhorns are passing on their genes. High grading.

IMO, antler spread of 15" or more is a better way to prevent high grading and would allow a hunter who'd be happy with a wide forkhorn to kill his trophy for the year. Where I live, this is almost always a 3 year old buck. With you guys and your bigger Ohio deer, it may need to be 16".

The beautiful thing about QDM is it's not one size fits all. It's not just "kill the does, kill the does." And it's definitely not about just the antlers. It's about a balanced age structure of bucks: not killing too many from one age group from year to year. There's room in every management plan for a certain number (even if it's just 1) of yearling bucks to be killed, as blasphemous as that sounds.

at1010
02-28-2012, 01:05 PM
It depends on who you talk to. From what I've heard, a lot of pretty antlered deer with great genetics are being killed while lifetime forkhorns are passing on their genes. High grading.

IMO, antler spread of 15" or more is a better way to prevent high grading and would allow a hunter who'd be happy with a wide forkhorn to kill his trophy for the year. Where I live, this is almost always a 3 year old buck. With you guys and your bigger Ohio deer, it may need to be 16".

The beautiful thing about QDM is it's not one size fits all. It's not just "kill the does, kill the does." And it's definitely not about just the antlers. It's about a balanced age structure of bucks: not killing too many from one age group from year to year. There's room in every management plan for a certain number (even if it's just 1) of yearling bucks to be killed, as blasphemous as that sounds.

Good points, I am not sure about judging spread but maybe that would work. In Ohio, I never see 15inch spread forkys, Mostly just basket 8s and 10s not trying to say Ohio is the best state ever but just telling you what I see.

badfaulkner
02-28-2012, 02:50 PM
Good points, I am not sure about judging spread but maybe that would work. In Ohio, I never see 15inch spread forkys, Mostly just basket 8s and 10s not trying to say Ohio is the best state ever but just telling you what I see.

Ohio is awesome. I know two guys who travel to hunt there. I'll toot the Ohio horn for ya, bro. LOL. I'm going to make it happen one fall.

You are right...a 15" forky would be a freak of nature. A six point would be more probable. A 13" forky is more likely.

at1010
02-28-2012, 03:23 PM
Ohio is awesome. I know two guys who travel to hunt there. I'll toot the Ohio horn for ya, bro. LOL. I'm going to make it happen one fall.

You are right...a 15" forky would be a freak of nature. A six point would be more probable. A 13" forky is more likely.

Thats RIGHT! haha jk I think it would be fun to hunt down south just cause of the sher number of deer! I love shooting does with my bow I could do it every day all day long!

blackbeard
03-08-2012, 09:38 PM
I agree with the Deer Management part of it , everyone should try to do their part. we all know how frustrating that can be. neighbors .. brown its down .. yada yada...

As far as the QDMA i would have nothing to do with PAY for PLAY outfits like i understand them to be, It doesnt need to get to a rich mans only game .

Bingo. And bingo to what rrennec2 said also, QDM only works for small properties if you get neighbors to go along with it, and that's the hard part. For example, I have 4 properties that surround my 33 acres. Will QDM work for my property if the neighboring landowners don't practice it as well? No way. My situation is not optimal but it could be worse though. Two properties are lightly hunted with no QDM but they are too thick for other hunters to be able to make much of a difference. The third property is bigger than the other three and the landowner practices QDM, doesn't shoot small bucks. The fourth property is "if it's brown it's down", they shoot everything. So I can practice QDM on my property and it helps but there's always a chance that that small buck I let go all season will get hammered at any time on property number 4. If I could get those neighbors to practice QDM we would have something.