PDA

View Full Version : Surprise and shocked out shed hunting!!!!!

ManOfTheFall
02-12-2012, 02:24 AM
I went out shed hunting this past Thursday for the first time this year. I didn't find any sheds but what I did find I was really shocked at. I have been out in years past and just haven't seen these numbers. I saw at least 10 dead deer in a pretty small area. This is on private property that sees light to moderate pressure at best. Seven of these were last years fawns with only one of them being a button buck. The yotes had eaten on all of these. There were 3 adult carcasses. One was a 1 1/2 year old buck still in tact which I was hoping would make it a few more years. He had split brows and was a 5x4. I will include some pics of him. I did not see any wounds on him, but I am wondering if maybe he was gut shot. His stomach area was opened and messed up but the yotes hadn't got to him yet. I am guessing he was probably dead about 1 month. Then there was an adult doe carcass. The one disturbing thing that really got to me was a large bodied buck without a head. This was an obvious sign of a poacher I would say. It also got me to thinking. Do you guys think those other deer could have been the work of a poacher as well with all of these carcasses being in such a small area? It might have been about a square 1/4 mile area.

ranger175a
02-12-2012, 07:55 AM
Yes definitely could be. I find that a lot in area I shed hunt. It's in a secluded agricultural area,

Buckeye360
02-12-2012, 09:21 AM
You definitely cant say it was a long tough winter for them this year. Looks like you may have a problem on your hands.

Bushman
02-12-2012, 11:13 AM
Id contact the local dow officer asap.

buckbuster217
02-12-2012, 11:46 AM
I would definately say you have a problem on your hands, I would let the landowner know about it too, if ya dont own the land yourself.

blackbeard
02-12-2012, 12:43 PM
seems pretty weird, I'd say poaching for sure.

Big_Holla
02-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Yeah, like the others said it's def. worth reporting esp with the one with the head cut off. Sucks!!

radicalxl
02-14-2012, 06:29 AM
I have found deer like that near my place too. Not as many in 1 place though. We came upon 4 one year that seemed to have died next to each other. Asked the neighbors if they were dumping, I let them know I was just curious and it was no big deal, no one knew anything about it. Most definetly one was poached in you case. I assumed mine just went there to die, for whatever reason, natural causes or bad shots. It was very near a pond and they will go to water when death is around the corner. Was it near water?

ManOfTheFall
02-16-2012, 12:31 AM
I found the pictured buck on a creek bed, but it is a very small creek. The other deer were not near water.

Cobbhunts
03-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Man that's really a downer. Just curious if you reported this or not.

Mike H
03-21-2012, 01:28 AM
State issued damage permits are a possibility, depending on the time of year. i believe the permits are revoked during season. At least some that I got one year ended in Sept. I forget the exactly regs, because the deer disappeared from my garden the moment i got the permits, but I do not think the shooter has any legal obligation to dispose of the deer. Cutting off a head however....... not kosher.

Where abouts were you looking, just roughly? I'm just across the river, and the deer numbers are completely out of control all over the NP border zones.

ghunter
03-21-2012, 07:45 AM
I believe you are right about not being able to use them during a season.

MandRroofing
03-21-2012, 06:40 PM
I would call ohio dnr could be some type of disease ?definitely worth checking out ...