PDA

View Full Version : Why pay for a "deer" product?

Genesis 9:3
02-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Since there isn't another place to do so, and it doesn't seem like a food plot question...

I spent a few minutes cruising through Tractor Supplies web page looking at all the different mineral blocks and can't help but wonder why I should spend money on "THIS IS MADE FOR DEER" minerals at the local sporting goods store? Is there really any difference?

Here (http://www.tractorsupply.com/american-stockman-big-6-reg-trace-mineral-salt-block-50-lb--2516586)'s a 50# salt and mineral block for $5 - $0.20/lb

This (http://www.tractorsupply.com/producer-s-pride-reg-general-purpose-mineral-block-40-lb--2228345) $10 block comes in at 40# and seems like a good idea too! ($0.25/lb)

But if you insist on something made for the deer you can get this (http://www.tractorsupply.com/record-rack-reg-deer-block-1077864) 33# block for $13... BERRY FLAVORED!!! ($0.40/lb)

Then there is Trophy Rock... the best I could determine was in the ball park of $1/lb.

I look at all this stuff, looking at the minerals listed off, and wonder what the real difference is? I know some deer like this and some like that... but they all seem to have the same mineral content with a few variations. So from a price stand point alone, when they all seem to have the same mineral content, why pay for something at Bass pro when you can find something much cheaper at the local agriculture store?

I'm also wondering - do you guys pay the "deer" premium or do you pick up the 50lb block and call it good enough?

mrbb
02-06-2012, 02:03 PM
is there a difference
well the long and short of it, is yes and no

some deer OLNT sale's pitch is just that a sale's pitch
BUt theer are some mineral mix's on teh market that are made to be absorbed and will attract deer to it to help get them to ingest the minerals

so, yes there is a difference
but if you get same minerals and mix yourself, you can make what they sell for less

but it may not be absorbed as well as some deer made one's are

only little, I think, but that is teh difference if you ask me
some add color and scents and flavors to there's again to pull deer to want to eat it

making them in theory eat more of it, and thus hopefully make them healthier and bigger racks and bigger healthier off spring

talk to a pen raise deer farmer and they will swear by certian stuff a deer needs
but!!

to me, many deer just don't know what it is and avoid it, or at least at my farm

as an example

I placed a few of them apple flavored and acorn mineral blocks out in front of my camera, and corn 3 ft away from it

been 6 weeks now, and not a single deer(or pic) hgas gone near it/them

and I have LOTS of deer, they just have ZERO interest in it(for now anyways)

but in the past I have used a powdered mineral mix, and had deer hit same day i put it out!

you have to play with it i think, and find one your deer like
no one size fits all if you ask me!!

hortontoter
02-07-2012, 05:37 PM
I'm a firm believer in the Trophy Rock. I started putting them out just over a year ago. From about February till early Sept. they are very actively hit on my property. I can't say the TR is the sole reason, but I had more and bigger racked bucks on my property this year than I ever had in the seven previous years I've owned it. The bucks hit the TR heavily while they are growing antlers and the does hit it from the time they become pregnant until the fawns are weaned. That is the obersvation that a friend of mine and myself have seen when using TR's one two different properties about 4 miles apart. The deer on both properties pay very little attention to the TR from about early Sept. through January.

Genesis 9:3
02-09-2012, 10:48 AM
So I'm getting the impression that if I was going to put something out... this is the time to do it?
(I still have a hard time believing that $1/lb is a good idea when other stuff costs so much less!)

BIGHUNTOH
02-09-2012, 12:46 PM
@mrbb Same experience I had. Last year I put the acorn flavored brick close to a feeding site with a stream near by and they seem to just ignore it. Come March I think I will try either the powder stuff or trophy rock. I heard somewhere that in the winter months deer are getting there calcium and magnesium from the salt trucks.. Does anyone believe this myth??

mrbb
02-09-2012, 07:35 PM
I know up here you will some times see der licking teh roads, but now a days they iuse a chemical spry with both salt and some other mix

so i wonder what this will do to deer up here!!

I have trid the TR up heer and same deal deer wouldn't go near it

I have seen it work up my cabin about 100 mile s away , so i am a firm believer is some deer crave different things

find what they want and use it, an all will be good like they all claim!!

hortontoter
02-10-2012, 02:22 PM
So I'm getting the impression that if I was going to put something out... this is the time to do it?
(I still have a hard time believing that $1/lb is a good idea when other stuff costs so much less!)

A buck a pound may be a bit expensive to begin with. But, the TR will last several months before it needs replaced. These photos will give you an idea of the drawing power a TR had at my place last summer.

Stonegod
02-10-2012, 03:12 PM
I've used just about everything, trophy rocks, apple licks, deer cocain licks, cattle/cow blocks, goat licks and it's hard to beat the trophy rocks! Sure they cost more at around $15 a pop, but hey that's like buying a lousy 4 gallons of gas....and it will last alot longer!!LOL I bought a boat load of the 4lb apple favored mineral licks at walmart for $2 a piece(on sale) and some cocain licks for $3. I'll use the through the summer then go back to the trophy rock in august.

Crossfire
09-10-2012, 07:10 AM
I've found little deer attracting difference between TR & the $5 salt block

MQ1
09-10-2012, 03:35 PM

Well i dont see where anyone answered the time to put something out, The spring and through summer is the best time to start , right after deer season closes i think, now to put something out now , they will hit it a few more weeks but what i have seen when season rolls around the activity slows. , If i was you i would go with salt, even the granular type would work , dig up a spot and mix it in with the dirt. Just going on what i have seen.

mrsohiobuckhunter
09-10-2012, 04:10 PM
my husband and i have always used a mineral block at our tree stands, it has been useful in keeping the bucks in the area. We have used different brands and for us they all generally have the same effect.... they bring deer. We also add (usually) some type of feed, i.e. food plot, corn and so on... all smothered in buck jam lol. so my theory is its not quite the type of mineral block u use rather how u set up the area to give the deer in the area the optimum variety to choose from

deerhunter27
09-14-2012, 01:08 PM
i like to buy the deer minerals i think there is an attractant in them that helps draw the deer in to them