PDA

View Full Version : Antlers dropping in your areas???

SLIDER0906
02-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Just curious if you all can offer some input into if your seeing bone on the ground yet in your areas? Im hoping to get a feel for geographical differences across the state. Where i do most my hunting in Hocking County, i havent seen a buck with antlers in 2 weeks. Me and my antler dog Nash have found 10 this past week alone. But on the other hand, in the west near Cincinnati almost all the bucks are still holding on. Interesting how it seems to vary in relation to terrain, food supply, etc.. Any input would be helpful so i can travel around to get my dog some work...thanks

mrbb
02-03-2012, 11:06 PM
I have had some bucks up here in NE PA drop in late dec, but the majoriety has still had them on since last week
yesterday I got pic's of one with half off, and then today the other side, but still have several with both on as of last nite's pic's

but it should be soon that most will drop then

next 2 weeks i think most will, all depends in my eye's on how cold or warm it is

colder seems to help get both off, warmer they seem to stager off!
but thats my 2 cents from over the yrs!

Big_Holla
02-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Let's keep this post going!! Anyone with trail cams going and still seeing antlers on heads or suddenly dropped one's please let us know!!

ghunter
02-06-2012, 03:36 PM
It's hard to see but the second deer looks like its a buck that has shed. This is from the 28th of january and is from Carroll county.

mrbb
02-08-2012, 12:51 AM
OK pulled sd cards today(2 of my 3 cams had dead batteries) but on the one cam i got a few pic's of antlers being off both sides, look like they been off a awhile too, and a few still holding them on

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/mrbb1/031-8.jpg

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/mrbb1/032-9.jpg

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/mrbb1/123-2.jpg

Seeker Bp
02-08-2012, 05:08 AM
Spent the day in North Central ohio, shed hunting. Came across a group of deer, 3 buck in group. Only one was missing one side. Still a little early up here I think, but will continue to search.

SLIDER0906
02-09-2012, 11:51 PM
Appreciate the few responses so far, i found 2 more small antlers in Vinton county on Monday. They were as fresh as ive seen with blood still on the bases. Otherwise saw 5 bucks together tonight inside the Cincy city limits and all were still holding. Thanks in advance for any future info, im starting to catagorize the dates with geographic regions. I think it will be interesting to see if after only a couple years of data, we can find any predictability in antler drop per region and how dramatic it may be across the state. It would be pretty sweet to find out how or where we can start our shed seasons first, then keep the season rolling as long as possible if we move around...thanks again.

CFRED70
02-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Saw 4 bucks with both sides still on near Marysville on Monday. Not sure, hope to pull my trail cams this weekend and see what I'm finding in central, Ohio.

frmrfred
02-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Pulled my camera today and had 4 bucks all with horns. Haven't seen a buck yet missing a horn. I'm in Summit County and I think it might be a bit early up here.

MICH
02-12-2012, 05:41 PM
during muzzle. season i had 2 big body bucks, horns off,on my cam, scioto cty.

mrbb
02-13-2012, 04:47 PM
pulled sd cards on saturday still had several with them on

today at my house i had a few bucks, 3-4 in the back yard with them on, and one that had them off!

so there still on!! say about 60% here still have them on!!

140class
02-14-2012, 02:15 PM
Just had 6 deer cross the road seen one buck for sure in group only with one side time for me to start looking up here in Mid-Mich.

Big_Holla
02-16-2012, 12:55 PM
Just had 6 deer cross the road seen one buck for sure in group only with one side time for me to start looking up here in Mid-Mich.

That's an update I can certainly use!! Thanks 140 Class! Had hoped to head up to the farm near Kingston Saturday but now with both kids sick today I'm not sure that's going to happen. Will see though.....

lumberjack
02-18-2012, 06:56 AM
Have found a few and still seeing some that have not dropped yet, the 3 that we have found was on 02/04.

mrbb
02-18-2012, 10:38 AM
just saw 3 bucks this morning that still had them on and one that looked like a buck that dropped them??
too far to get a good look at its head
or it was one BIG doe!!

bds9
02-20-2012, 09:11 AM
Went out Saturday for about three hours, didn't find a horn but did find a couple dead doe. On my way home had two big bucks cross the road in front of me and both still had both sides. A few more weeks and I'd say most will have lost at least one side. I can see a many of footsteps in my near future!! BTW I'm in southern ohio.

SLIDER0906
02-22-2012, 08:45 PM
I saw another 5 bucks today in a park near Cincy and all still were holding onto their horns. I heard thru a friend that his buddies are finding quite a few north of here near Waynesville. I walked 4 hours on Sunday in Adams county and no luck, but my dog did retrieve 3 old doe skulls, i think hes getting impatient as i am around here, ha.

Cobbhunts
03-06-2012, 02:48 PM
In central KY here, but I watched 4 bucks out of my office window last week. 3 had shed both sides, and one had a full set.

SLIDER0906
03-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Took my dog to a farm in southern Indiana this afternoon for a couple hour hike. Found 3 sheds and a fork horn skull. Unfortunately for this report they were all from last year. Lots of deer sign but no fresh horns on the ground..

Marquis Mark
03-11-2012, 08:17 PM
I was out all day in an Urban unit up noth. Lots of sign but no sheds. Found 3 dead doe and random bones from last year thats it.

shred_thumb
03-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Covered some pretty good ground on 3-3-12, in Harrison Co. Picked up 5 antlers, (two sets and an oddball). Sub-par for this property, at this time of year. Our general thoughts are that the mild temperatures this winter have them holding onto those antlers a little longer. What do you y'all think?

SLIDER0906
03-14-2012, 11:01 PM
Shred-thumb- I think your right on with the warm/ mild winter. I was shooting crows over the weekend with my 84 year old Grandfather, and through chatting he said this is only the second winter he recalls in his life that the mild winters just fed thru till spring.
It has been my experience that the stress of the rut and onset of a cold winter, coupled with depleting food sources cause the horns to cast off early. What a weird year, im still watching 6 bucks every evening in a park walking around with racks ontop... hope they toss off soon or we are all gonna be fighting the greenup to spot them...

ghunter
03-15-2012, 05:45 PM
The wife seen a decent 8 point on route 21 heading into Massillon yesterday still packing. But I seen a buck in Cleveland with scabs on his head a few hours earlier.

lumberjack
03-17-2012, 06:44 AM
The wife and I were heading out to Circleville yesterday 3/16 and as always my eyes are always looking and seen a herd stopped the truck and it was like counting sheep in your sleep counted 18 as they jumped the fence and for sure 3 were still sporting head gear. The unusual weather i agree has to have alot to do with them hanging on. Still not finding very many on our place.

SLIDER0906
03-21-2012, 12:06 AM
My dog found 2 small antlers last friday while we were crawling thru a thick bedding area in a county park. Crazy thing is that 2 minutes prior to picking up the horns we jumped 4 deer and 2 of which were bucks still carrying both sides. Im now convinced that my worries of this warm winter and hot weather are going to leave us with a terrible shed season due to the green up....SUCKS!!!

Big_Holla
03-21-2012, 08:55 AM
You may be right Slider0906 with green-up coming so quickly. Might make for a great season next year finding both new and the one's missed this year........that's if all the other critters miss them too.....

Genesis 9:3
03-24-2012, 09:23 AM
Call me ignorant, I just won't answer you :)

What happens if it doesn't get cold? Are these things like teeth... the one behind will push out the old? Is there any way these guys can go without growing a new rack?

Okay, I'll sit back and wait...

Big_Holla
03-26-2012, 01:20 PM
Very legitimate question Genesis 9:3. From some of the things I have read a lot has to do with testosterone levels and when they fall. Guess being this late in the year it sure makes you wonder though. You can do some searching but here is one quick article I have read over the years on shedding antlers:

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/biology/how-do-bucks-shed-their-antlers

mrbb
03-26-2012, 06:14 PM
Call me ignorant, I just won't answer you :)

What happens if it doesn't get cold? Are these things like teeth... the one behind will push out the old? Is there any way these guys can go without growing a new rack?

Okay, I'll sit back and wait...

yes on both, on pen raised deer it has been proven that new one's at times will push off old one's in some bucks

and even some bucks never shed them!
thats rare but has been proven to happen

there have even been some bucks that never even grew antler at all too

mother nature can be tricky

SLIDER0906
04-23-2012, 01:05 AM
Anyone stumble upon any sheds lately??? With the woods like a jungle stepping on them is about the only way to find em. I found 3 small ones this weekend while searching around for morels. And it seems like the sheds, the shroom season was over with before it began.... hope the turkey guys do better tomorrow, but since i saw them courting, struting, and gobbling almost 3 weeks ago i dont have much faith...good luck!!