PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Care To Help Out A NC Hunter Interested in Hunting Ohio Public Land?

NCHunter
01-31-2012, 10:28 PM
I am reluctantly writing this as I am sure most of you guys hate out of state hunters. A few years ago I called and spoke to dozens of your game wardens in several different counties about public land deer hunts. Looking back at my notes, I would really appreciate hearing more about Jackson, Adams, Ross, Pike, Brown, and Highland counties. Please PM or email me if you don't mind helping me out. Thanks!

Stonegod
02-01-2012, 06:11 AM
I am reluctantly writing this as I am sure most of you guys hate out of state hunters. A few years ago I called and spoke to dozens of your game wardens in several different counties about public land deer hunts. Looking back at my notes, I would really appreciate hearing more about Jackson, Adams, Ross, Pike, Brown, and Highland counties. Please PM or email me if you don't mind helping me out. Thanks!

Well I don't hate/mind out of state hunters........but guys that just join the site and don't atleast give some kind of intro prior to asking for help....... That I frigging can't stand!!

mrbb
02-01-2012, 08:40 AM
cannot help you in them county's but if you like I can offer some help in other se county;s
Pm me if you want
I am a non res of ohio, so know the deal!!

I also know if you stick around both here and in ohio, you will find some great guys both residents and non res of Ohio

hortontoter
02-01-2012, 09:46 AM
Can't help you on those counties either, sorry. If you need info on eastern Ohio I know a little info that I can share.

Big_Holla
02-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Well, the site is full of non-resident hunters so maybe you should take some time to look around a bit. Likely a lot of useful information can be found for you by doing a few searches and looking back at old posts. When you get some time maybe stop back and tell us a little about yourself and from there perhaps you will find the people with the knowledge you are looking for. Never hurts to ask but at the same time many will not give out any hidey-holes, perhaps though you can get pointed in the right direction.

eubie
02-01-2012, 01:25 PM
Grew up in Jackson county and know there is a good bit of public land there between Cooper Hollow and Paper lands, I Live in Coshocton county and there is a lot of public land close or within a short drive. Do a

eubie
02-01-2012, 01:26 PM
web search of Woodbury wildlife area and AEP recreation lands

NCHunter
02-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Thanks guys. I just found this site for the first time last night and the wife kept bugging my about coming to bed so I didn't have much time. Anyway, I am 32 years old and married with two kids, a son (5) and daughter (almost 2). I am a die hard deer hunter that is obsessed with deer hunting and everything related. Unfortunately, NC doesn't offer many true trophy bucks like you guys are used to seeing. I have hunted for over 20 years and the biggest buck I have ever killed was a 212 lb 125" buck. We have great fresh and saltwater fishing, turkey hunting, duck hunting, etc. but NC just doesn't offer the die hard deer hunter much when it comes to big bucks. I have never hunted out of state but have been talking about doing an out of state bow hunt on public land for years. I have three preference points for Iowa as well so getting a license there should be easy whenever I decide to apply. My wife and I live paycheck to paycheck so that is also a factor. However, my family owns close to 4,000 acres here in Eastern NC so getting out on a farm and either hunting or messing around in the offseason isn't an issue. Got to run, but will check in with you guys again this evening. Thanks again!

NCHunter
02-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Oh yeah, real quick. I am a DIE HARD NC State fan. Some buddies of mine went up to Ohio State a few years ago when we played you guys and had Philip Rivers his SR year. You guys stopped Rivers twice at the goalline on a QB Sneak in overtime (2nd overtime?) to win the game. I was devastated. My buddies who went up to the game said they had never seen anything like the Horseshoe. They said it was incredible and that the whole stadium shook under their feet. Of course you came to Raleigh the next year and CRUSHED us.

radicalxl
02-01-2012, 05:54 PM
Tappen lake in Harrison Co. is a good area. Not as overrun in bow season as it is during gun season.

buckbuster217
02-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Not the counties youre looking at but there is Salt fork state park in Guernsey county, plenty of acreage and not crowded during bow season, they have camp grounds and all for a do it yourself hunt too.

gonehunting 45
02-02-2012, 11:36 AM
I have no information on the counties you asked about. You didn't mention what time of the season you would be coming. I hunt public land myself. One thing that might help you out would be to come do a little scouting during the off season if you can. Come the rut public land gets busy fast. Early season you might see one other bow hunter. good luck

NCHunter
02-04-2012, 05:50 PM
I was thinking about taking a week off of work during the first week of November. However, with two young kids in daycare, they get sick a lot which means they bring it home to my wife and I and we have to stay home with them. So IF I have a full week of vacation by the time November rolls around, then that is the plan.

badfaulkner
02-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Thanks guys. I just found this site for the first time last night and the wife kept bugging my about coming to bed so I didn't have much time. Anyway, I am 32 years old and married with two kids, a son (5) and daughter (almost 2). I am a die hard deer hunter that is obsessed with deer hunting and everything related. Unfortunately, NC doesn't offer many true trophy bucks like you guys are used to seeing. I have hunted for over 20 years and the biggest buck I have ever killed was a 212 lb 125" buck. We have great fresh and saltwater fishing, turkey hunting, duck hunting, etc. but NC just doesn't offer the die hard deer hunter much when it comes to big bucks. I have never hunted out of state but have been talking about doing an out of state bow hunt on public land for years. I have three preference points for Iowa as well so getting a license there should be easy whenever I decide to apply. My wife and I live paycheck to paycheck so that is also a factor. However, my family owns close to 4,000 acres here in Eastern NC so getting out on a farm and either hunting or messing around in the offseason isn't an issue. Got to run, but will check in with you guys again this evening. Thanks again!

You are luckier than you can imagine.

bds9
02-06-2012, 03:10 PM
I was thinking about taking a week off of work during the first week of November. However, with two young kids in daycare, they get sick a lot which means they bring it home to my wife and I and we have to stay home with them. So IF I have a full week of vacation by the time November rolls around, then that is the plan.

I'm from adams co, there is some state ground that i know is good. But, if youre coming that week, you better call and get your hotel booked now! There are only 3 maybe 4 hotels in the county and they are completely full the entire month of November and the better part of october as well. Then if you do get a hotel, plan on sharing that state ground with a shitload of other people with the same idea you have!! Not trying to be negative, Im just being honest. Over the past 5 years it has gotten ridiculous down here. I'm glad I have what I have to hunt cuz the outfitters are making it impossible to hunt unless you have a pocket of cash!!

NCHunter
02-14-2012, 11:41 AM
Thanks! The game wardens all told me the same thing about Adams County and finding a place to stay. A guy I know hunts a different county and he swears that finding a room at a hotel isn't difficult and that he has been hunting the same piece of public land for years and has never seen anyone but few squirrel hunters slipping through.

alpine
02-15-2012, 07:05 AM
I live in NC and hunt Ohio I used to hunt in Adams and there is is some very good hunting in the public land but stay away from it when the shotgun starts it is crowded as what I have been told from others I only bowhunt mysef

blackbeard
03-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Grew up in Jackson county and know there is a good bit of public land there between Cooper Hollow and Paper lands, I Live in Coshocton county and there is a lot of public land close or within a short drive. Do a

All Mead/West Vaco/Scioto Land Company properties are now leased and they allow no public hunting anymore. Jackson and Ross have alot of public land. Get some maps, plan a scouting trip, and put your boots to the ground and you'll find a good place to hunt.

eubie
03-09-2012, 08:45 AM
Wow didnt know all that land got leaded up now, When did that happen?

blackbeard
03-10-2012, 10:51 PM
6-8 years ago the land started being leased instead of being public hunting, Mead has sold twice since then, new company is called F&W Forestry, they leased in 2011 for $8.00/acre, there is a long waiting list.

eubie
03-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the info. BB

quackaholic
03-16-2012, 05:52 AM
Not many places to stay in Jackson. Camping is your best bet. If you want solitude and large bucks then the Wayne in Lawrence Co. is the place to be. Lots of elbow room there. Mountainous though.