PDA

View Full Version : What wild game have you eaten?

Stonegod
12-18-2011, 11:04 AM
Just curious to see the different types of wild game you guys have eaten and what's your favorite? As for me, my list so far is rather short: venison, bison, boar, duck,dove,goose,grouse, pheasant, rabbit and elk. Loved them all, but bacon wrapped backstraps and bacon wrapped goose kabobs are my favorite along with elk. I'm hoping to here some odd ones, like coon or opposum, stewed bats anything!!

mrbb
12-18-2011, 11:12 AM
I think I ate about every critter in the USA,( even a few things from over sea''s) from snakes to sheep, goats, deer , bear,elk, moose,caribou, Buffalo, boar/hog/pigs, turkey, grouse, pheasants, woodcock, groundhogs, crow, huns, ducks geese, swans, and all the normal stuff in small game, and a ton of fish species

I think I can say I tried about it all over the yrs, betwen what I killed and friends have , nothing I can think of I haven't tried

Stonegod
12-18-2011, 11:25 AM
I think I ate about every critter in the USA,( even a few things from over sea''s) from snakes to sheep, goats, deer , bear,elk, moose,caribou, Buffalo, boar/hog/pigs, turkey, grouse, pheasants, woodcock, groundhogs, crow, huns, ducks geese, swans, and all the normal stuff in small game, and a ton of fish species

I think I can say I tried about it all over the yrs, betwen what I killed and friends have , nothing I can think of I haven't tried

Ok........ but what's your favorite?

mrbb
12-18-2011, 11:35 AM
I think thats a tuf one

many were very good and how they were made

so pending that any of a few could be #1

But I will call Moose as my fav on Big game
then elk and
either deer or pronghorn or caribou next!

but to me I think how its handled after its kiled and then cooked really makes the difference on how good or bad it it

And maybe Pheasants on upland game, killed and ate a Ton of them over the yrs

Seeker Bp
12-18-2011, 08:03 PM
Hmmm...Some of the things eaten!! Deer, Moose, Elk, Black Snake, Turtle, Frogs, Groundhog, Opposum, Raccoon, Termite Larvae, and they tasted like Hazel nuts, many differant fish species. Buffalo,pheasant, and quail. And last but not least.......Beaver :0 lol Seeker

heelbilly
12-18-2011, 08:50 PM
Deer, elk, moose, black bear, alligator, rattlesnake, mule deer, pronghorn, turkey, wild boar, dove, quail, duck, goose. Unfortunately most of it was at a "moose lodge" of sorts end of year banquet when I was 11 or 12 and don't remember it. So I'll go with deer as my favorite, LOL.

Stonegod
12-19-2011, 02:48 AM
Hmmm...Black Snake, Seeker

Now that's a weird one!!! How/why/when and was it good?

offtheground
12-19-2011, 04:58 AM
Rabbit, frog legs and snapping turtle, alligator, moose, duck, quail, crawdads, etc. My favorite is still wild rabbit with gravey or a shore lunch of fresh walley and lake trout.

Seeker Bp
12-19-2011, 06:41 AM
My grandfather was a snake eater. Northern Black snake was his favorite. Always in a soup. Not really sure the prep work. He was a man that believed in no waste. ate many things as a young man, maybe dont even want to know what some things were, but he taught me that I wont starve from being to picky. Turtle is probably my favorite of all. Seeker

stump9898
12-29-2011, 10:53 PM
i ate muktuk in barrow alaska its boiled whale skin and fat a little salt and ketchup its the strongest piece of fish youll ever eat!!!!

MICH
12-30-2011, 10:13 PM
S.G., I'LL SAVE YOU FROM MY LIST, BUT THE BEST I CHEWED ON IS ELK....HANDS DOWN

Stonegod
12-31-2011, 06:34 AM
i ate muktuk in barrow alaska its boiled whale skin and fat a little salt and ketchup its the strongest piece of mammal youll ever eat!!!!

There I fixed it for ya!!!LOL

Stonegod
12-31-2011, 06:36 AM
S.G., I'LL SAVE YOU FROM MY LIST, BUT THE BEST I CHEWED ON IS ELK....HANDS DOWN

Yep I agree with you, a good piece of elk is hard to beat!!!!! Though bacon wrapped goose kabobs are right behind!!!!

taylor6400
01-06-2012, 10:36 AM
Hmmm...

Deer, Elk, moose, bear, caribou, buffalo, ducks, geese, coot, dove, pheasant, hungarian partridge, quail, grouse, squab, turkey, rabbit, squirrel, bunch of fish, gator, turtle, sweetbreads from a couple different animals (as well as beef tongue, heart, liver, and tail), frog legs, thats all i can think of right now.

stump9898
01-20-2012, 10:25 PM
i stand corrected thnks
There I fixed it for ya!!!LOL

17jamato
12-16-2012, 08:59 PM
Had muskrat once at a wild game benefit dinner. It tastes just like bourbon chicken!