PDA

View Full Version : Need new rain gear, any suggestions?

OHPA
12-13-2011, 11:01 PM
I am looking to get new rain gear. A light weight set and an insulated set. Coat and pants. I have always used the camo rain coat type that goes over the clothing. I am now looking for the clothing that is water proof. I have read many reviews, even some with gore tex that some people say are not totally water proof.

Does anyone have a product that you like. My main concerns are quietness and waterproof. I will spend the money for a product that works and keeps me dry. Thanks for any suggestions.

mrbb
12-14-2011, 09:24 AM
well I have spent a lot of $$ over the yrs on rain gear, or so called waterproof hunting gear( cabela's MT050 , there dry plus stuff, aqua swade stuff, it all works well for a little while, but to me not truely waterproof for long sits in the rain, PLUS goretex gets stiff in very low temps and gets louder as it gets stiff, still the stuff I wear most , but I do not call it true rain gear, even the stuff they sell as just rain gear, tok there alaskan rain gear to AK and it bleed through after a few days , every resident there had PVC rain gear NO one there used Goretex stuff, it opened my eye's, if hunting a place that gets lots of rain, I will not count on gore tex again!)

all I can say is all the gore tex stuff i have owned will bleed through after your in the rain for a long time
I found that the best TRUE rain gear is a seperate rain coat of good quality PVC or the likes, its not really quiet or great in COLD temps, as it can get stiff, but works just fine for me, biggest draw back is it doesn't breath so you can sweat pretty fast in it, but I still sweat in goretex as well, but pvc keeps me dry after hrs of sitting and gore tex doesn't

BUT then again if you in rain, temps are not always that cold or it would be snow, and since its raining , noise's get covered by the rian as well

so for me I like the pvc for a jacket, and to be honest in HEAVY cold rain hunts(if I hunt at all any more in them) I wear my camo neopreme chest waders( also windproof)
there warm and positively waterproof
and pretty quiet

I have been know towear camo gear over them, to help prevet them from getting torn on brush if hunting in thick area's

They do sell neopreme jackets as well, that I know will keep you dry too,
but have tor ememeber if you walk any distance in neopreme, you will melt! and come home a few lbs lighter!

I tend to wear gore tex outer wear to a stand, and then put on rain gear for long sits

I think it comes down to how long you plan to sit in the rain as to what you need, in a light drizzle for a few hrs, good hunting gear with goretex is plenty

but for down pours for hrs,, PVC is the way to go, and it cheap too(well compared to high end hunting gear) so I would have both if that was an option, and not the packable stuff, real rain gear!
carhart , helly, makes good quality rain gear as do many other outdoor companys NOT HUNTING related but out side work wear companys!

xt
12-14-2011, 10:12 AM
To both post please give RIVERS WEST a try i am a dealer for them and they have the best rain gear on the market with a 10 year warrenty and a loaner program if you need to get something fixed for some reason please goto riverwest.com look at there videos and such give me a call at 937-515-8694 for good pricing and free shipping u will not be disapointed in this stuff

OHPA
12-14-2011, 06:11 PM
Great feedback guys. i am going to look into River West, and mrbb, you have alot of great points. xt, I may call you. Thanks.

Dan
01-31-2012, 08:08 PM
As a longtime waterfowler I can tell you I have had good luck with Gore-tex as well as Cabelas Dry-plus products. In my experience they have been warm and dry and cut the wind. In the bow hunting arena I have two sets of cabelas scent lok lined dry plus rain gear. I believe they call it there "rain suede"? It is what I wear on most of my hunts. Older scent lok products were thicker than they are now and it kept me warm late into the season with a little layering. My newest set was just purchased a couple of weeks ago. It doesn't feel quite as soft as my original set, and seems a little louder but it is lighter. Perhaps it will soften up and quite down after a couple trips in the wash? Although I have been satisfied with my cabelas stuff I'm surprised at the lack of waterproof clothing options for bowhunters.

MatthewUSMC8791
08-12-2012, 12:39 PM
I'll try to make this quick for those who know and those who think they know...

there are alot of waterproof materials out there. Most known woudl be Gortex.

I'll give you 2 items to compare and they are both Gortex.

Browning Pro Series HydroFleece and Cabelas MTO50.

Start with Cabelas:
Very nice rain gear that is light weight and comfortable and has good storage pockets and it packs into a small package for rain gear.
Sucks - Cuz it only last 3 years before it failed. Cabelas replaced it for me, so this year will be 2nd year, so we'll see.

Browning:
AWESOME STUFF.. their old gear with Gortex was amazing.
I sat in a stand during a all day rain pour and the seat filled with water and i sat in it all day and i was never wet.
REASON older browning is better then new, is because its Gortex.

Not all Gortex is the same.

Same reason people think MILSPEC is the best. The USMC suit i had was junk. Failed 2nd year.
Because they had the minimal requirments as possible. What the wind rating(PSI) before it fails, etc.

What matters is the spec the manufacturer has Gortex make it to. How many layers of Gortex fabric, the PSI rating on fabric before pentetration. remember you buy junk you get junk..

buckeye96
08-17-2012, 04:17 PM
I like gore tex the best. If the others (dry plus and tech2o) are on sale I buy them too, but I trust gore tex the most. PVC is great if you don't sweat alot.

MQ1
08-17-2012, 05:32 PM
I just purchased a set off ebay and thought i would give these a try , I really like them they are light and quiet , the material feels like chamois fabric. Russell TREESTAND CAMO Raintamer II $40.00 for the jacket and $30.00 for the pants

brdawg2001
10-19-2012, 09:17 AM
There is nothing more important than this purchase and I am a Mt050 fan...

1. Just bought a new set...had the other set 15 years and they are still great...I just wanted bibs instead of pants.
2. They are quiet and tough. I have been through everything and have no tears....I do not want to have to worry about tearing my rain gear if I am tracking a deer.
3. You do not need a seperate set of insulated ones...just layer. I wear mine even when it is not raining...

A lot of folks do not understand care instructions on Gor Tex...If I recall it is good to wash and dry them regularly as it rejuvinates the Gore Tex membrane.

r

brdawg2001
10-19-2012, 09:20 AM
Heck,

Thought I would find it..

Restoring Water Repellency
“Wet out” can put a real damper on your day. That’s when liquid saturates your garment’s outer fabric layer above the GORE-TEX® membrane, leaving you feeling damp and clammy - as if your garment were leaking, even when it’s not.

To prevent wet out, all GORE-TEX® shell fabrics are treated with an ultra-thin treatment called DWR, a durable water repellent polymer that is applied to the outermost fabric layer. DWR penetrates the fibers and lowers the surface tension of the fabric, causing water to bead up and roll off this outer layer of fabric, instead of being absorbed.

DWR is not permanent, though. Regular wear and tear, plus exposure to dirt, detergents, insect repellent, and other impurities can shorten its lifespan. The good news is that restoring the water repellency of your GORE-TEX® shell is extremely easy.

How to Restore Water Repellency

GORE-TEX® outerwear:
Just machine wash it, rinse it, and put it in the dryer, being sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions on the care label inside. The washing removes dirt and other contaminants and the heat from the dryer helps redistribute the DWR treatment on the fabric surface.

If water fails to bead up on the surface of your cleaned and tumble-dried garment, its DWR treatment has reached the end of its useful life. But don’t worry: You can restore the garment’s water repellency by applying a topical water repellency restorative (DWR treatment) for outdoor fabrics, available at your local outdoor retailer. We do not recommend wash-in treatments, as they can hinder your garment's breathability.

GORE-TEX® footwear:
We do not recommend the use of waterproofing waxes or greases as they can seriously affect the footwear's breathability. Apply only treatments, polishes, conditioners, and dressings recommended by the manufacturer. Always check the manufacturer’s care instructions on the label of your footwear first.