PDA

View Full Version : Leg wounds

eubie
11-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Lets say that im sick over this one. My mistake wrong pin shooting down hill. Nicked a nice legit 160 inch 11 point in he front foreleg Sunday morning. Bled will like leg wounds do. tracked couple hundred yards. Lost blood after he climbed a nice sized hill and went into a hay field. I think, almost positive that he will live. What do you guys think?

ghunter
11-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Im sure he will heal up and be just fine as long as the arrow didn't hit an artery.

mrbb
11-14-2011, 10:53 AM
like he said if no major vien was hit all will be good, BUT I have been part of looking for a few nicked buck,s and they did bleed out
last yr my buddy shot a 170 inch 16 pointer non typ, up my cabin(posted pic;s on here last yr)

he took a bad shot yes 50 yrs and moving, got all excited
anyways the shot hit,the der, but he had no idea where
we let it go over nite

came back and found a blood trail good at first, then like a switch was shut off, it just stopped after about 500 yrds
I found a PIN drop 250 yrds from where we lost it, and 8 of us started a grid search in a grown up cow pasture, 2-3 ft high crap

we found it dead about 3/4 of a mile from where it got shot

he nicked the front of the rear back leg, hit a main line, and then cut off one of its nuts, wild shot,, think he hit it while the leg was going forward too!, if not for that timing, odds are he would have just clipped both nuts off!
and that lead to a kill!

i mean just skimmed the buck, i couldn't believe it killed him

if you looked on the deer you couldn't really find where it was shot, I mean that small of a hit
but it died from that , i would have bet everyting I own that it was a nick and no big deal
, glad i didn't!

second buck I helped track, got shot just above the front ankle, on a left front leg
bled like mad first 1/4 mile then again, just stopped, like a deer walking without any more blood to leave a trail

we found that deer a 160 class 9 pointer, just under a mile later doing a grid search, just dumb luck we found it too.

I have seen many live and walking for yrs on 3 legs too, so it can go the other way too!

But if it was me, and on a buck of that caliber, i'd hire a tracking dog off this site and make an effort to find out one way or the other, if it hit a main line it will be dead somwhere, in a few hrs, so unless spooked a mile is about as far as it can go!( a mile is far yes i know, but givs you a base to cover) if not he will be out there for another try
but I would make the effort to try to find that out

sorry about not being maybe possitive here for you

radicalxl
11-14-2011, 06:54 PM
Bled will like leg wounds do. tracked couple hundred yards. Lost blood after he climbed a nice sized hill and went into a hay field. I think, almost positive that he will live.
In my opinion and expierence, a deer that is injured badly enough to die will not run uphill, especially after 200 yards . I have steep hills on the north, south and east of me, and every one I put a kill shot on one, they never went up the hill. If they head that way it's only for about 25yds just to go in the opposite direction of any threat, and then they cut straight across the side. I think if it was bleeding bad enough, after 200yds it would have lost enough blood to not have the strength. People might disagree with me on this one, but I think it will live to see another day.

mrbb
11-14-2011, 09:30 PM
I have killed many many deer that ran up hill after being shot, when down hill was an easier route too, or even facing that way when shot too!
i don' t believe in them rules a deer will go where he thinks is safe, if he gets there he gets there if not they die trying
up hill down hill into water or into timber thick crap, too many deer ran wrong ways on them theroy's,
BUT YES it can happen, again there deer, and can run in any direction

grid search!

eubie
11-15-2011, 07:18 AM
Update: Did a grid search yesterday after school I teach not a student, Anyway found nothing 3 people till it got dark. Interestingly one of the guys helping ran into a buddy of his 2 farms down that said he shot o buck last nite with a front leg wound, will see if is the same deer or not this afternoon, if they recover him. But sound like if from the description .

BowGuy2
11-15-2011, 07:53 AM
Keep us informed asap

blackbeard
11-15-2011, 11:36 PM
I'd say if someone else didn't shoot him he is out breeding does right now.

eubie
11-16-2011, 08:31 AM
Talked to the guy last nite sounded like the same deer but he did not recover the deer even had s dog and did not find it so im guessing hes still alive.

hugo27bell75ty
08-09-2012, 02:52 AM
I have done Quite a bit of tracking with my blood tracking dog and I can tell you that a deer hit in the leg will bleed out if you get enough small arteries and push him till he bleeds out. Do not wait on a deer hit in the leg or it will clot up. You must track these deer immediately. Another thing about deer not wanting to run up hills when hit hard is a myth. I have tracked many deer down and they will travel up hills, over fences, in people's back yards and front also, across open fields, down streams etc. I track alot with a dog and have seen it all. There is no rule of thumb when it comes to deer. Trust me, I have proof with many finds from my blood tracking dog from hunters I don't know and trophy's on my wall that I have killed myself. I can give references to those who don't believe what I'm saying from other trackers and hunters in which I found their deer. Also deer will travel more than a mile if pushed, but almost always circle back around to their core area. Big bucks don't get big by roaming out of their core area, they know it's safe there and stick to it from what I have seen, but I have tracked one over two miles before, but it was across 2 big open fields. I never did catch up to him and had to call off the track due to property line trackingwoundeddeer.blogspot.com ( my website)

In my opinion and expierence, a deer that is injured badly enough to die will not run uphill, especially after 200 yards . I have steep hills on the north, south and east of me, and every one I put a kill shot on one, they never went up the hill. If they head that way it's only for about 25yds just to go in the opposite direction of any threat, and then they cut straight across the side. I think if it was bleeding bad enough, after 200yds it would have lost enough blood to not have the strength. People might disagree with me on this one, but I think it will live to see another day.

mrbb
08-09-2012, 10:14 AM
I have done Quite a bit of tracking with my blood tracking dog and I can tell you that a deer hit in the leg will bleed out if you get enough small arteries and push him till he bleeds out. Do not wait on a deer hit in the leg or it will clot up. You must track these deer immediately. Another thing about deer not wanting to run up hills when hit hard is a myth. I have tracked many deer down and they will travel up hills, over fences, in people's back yards and front also, across open fields, down streams etc. I track alot with a dog and have seen it all. There is no rule of thumb when it comes to deer. Trust me, I have proof with many finds from my blood tracking dog from hunters I don't know and trophy's on my wall that I have killed myself. I can give references to those who don't believe what I'm saying from other trackers and hunters in which I found their deer. Also deer will travel more than a mile if pushed, but almost always circle back around to their core area. Big bucks don't get big by roaming out of their core area, they know it's safe there and stick to it from what I have seen, but I have tracked one over two miles before, but it was across 2 big open fields. I never did catch up to him and had to call off the track due to property line trackingwoundeddeer.blogspot.com ( my website)

thanks for backing me up there
I have said for yrs, a deer when hit will run in any direction, up hill down hill, no matter, what ever way it wants to go at the time its going!

have had so many hunters over the yrs tell me I am wrong
but after tracking so many deer over the yrs, I just seen it way too many times
and that through yards
cannot tell you how many I have tracked that did that, even with people outside next door, crazy

and thanks for your link
sure folks could use your service this fall, wish I had someone closer to me here in PA, for just incase !