PDA

View Full Version : Deer Tracking Dog Services - Columbus Area

Big_Holla
09-26-2011, 10:27 AM
Here is a contact for a deer tracking dog in the Columbus area. Patrick asked me to post up his contact information. Generally he does not charge for his service but that can be worked out when you contact him. Of course it probably depends on distance, drive time and whether you are an understanding hunter.

614-264-2700

patrickmccaffreyjr@hotmail.com

Outdrzman
10-07-2011, 04:59 PM
Cliff here (AKA Outdrzman)... I have a high-end, working bred Yellow lab who has been deer tracking for 3 years now. I bought her with tracking in mind, and have trained her to do this since she was a tiny puppy. Not sure exactly how many recoveries we have together, but it's a pretty nice list. We've had some failures too - that's the nature of helping on tracking jobs.

I live just north of Columbus, OH and have a farm in Athens county. This time of year it's tough to know for sure where I'm going to be at any given time (home/farm). That being the case, it's best just to call and see if I can make it out to you. I will usually limit my drive time to 1 hour. I do not charge for tracking, though I do ask for gas money. Some folks also throw in a "tip"... that's very much appreciated but is completely up to you.

Before you call:
1. I need you to understand this: I do this as a hobby. I have a regular day job and am not able to take off for a tracking run in the middle of a work day. It's ok if you call during the day, but I want you to know what to expect when I answer.

This may seem obvious, but I need to make another point here: I had a guy get very beligerant with me last year because I wasn't able to drive to Cininnati at 10am on a Wednesday. After the attitude, I told him "no" but he kept calling me... so I blocked his number. Then he had the nerve to have his buddies call me also! This went on for more than 48 hours, including at night. Please don't do this, it makes me not want to help. Just remember that you are asking a near stranger for free help and we'll be off to a great start. :coolgleamA:

2. I need to talk to the person who took the shot. I will ask about your hunting setup, the deer's behavior before/after the shot, what you have done to try and recover the animal, etc. Please don't call me and ask me to call someone else.

3. Time matters! The sooner we get there, the better the odds of recovery. Waiting 48-72 hrs before calling me stacks the odds against us all.

4. When you realize you need help, quietly back out of there and call me right away. Please stay out of the blood trail. Don't get 10 buddies to scour the woods *before* you call me. This just means you're likely to cross the deer's trail and then track that scent around the woods.

5. I need to have permission to go onto the land where we will be tracking. It's a firm rule of mine, not to mention being the law! I expect you to tell me when we are crossing property boundaries.

OK, so if you're still reading - you're my kind of hunter! My cell number is: 614-570-one six seven zero. **This is to be used for requesting deer tracking assistance only***

4arms
10-07-2011, 08:45 PM
Hey Cliff,

I completely forgot a out your service last year and could have used you. Glad to hear you are still at it.

Ryan-

Buckeye360
10-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Chris S.
This guy helped me. I believe he was in the Mt. Gilead area. He came to my rescue in Delaware. $75 for almost 3 hours, heck of a deal.

Big_Holla
10-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Chris S.
This guy helped me. I believe he was in the Mt. Gilead area. He came to my rescue in Delaware. $75 for almost 3 hours, heck of a deal.

Buckeye360 invite him to come on here and make a thread with his contact info and any pictures of past recoveries if you would please. Plenty of room for people helping people around here!! Thanks!

spikehunter87
11-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Wow that tracking dog sounds Awesome. I have used dogs before and they are great they help a lot. I hunt www.peartreegameranch.com for deer. If I ever hunt Delaware I will keep you in mind.

OHIO HUNTING CLUB
02-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Pat is a great guy. Enjoy talking with him about hunting and things.
His dog is absolutely amazing!! If in doubt about your shot placement or about tracking your deer you need to call him.

Well worth it to give him a call first!! Before you do anything. Would highly recommend using him. I know i would again. Thanks Pat.

John M
06-23-2013, 09:27 PM
New to ohio hunting, but a number for my contact list (cell phone) if the need arises. Think i'm going to enjoy hunting Ohio.