PDA

View Full Version : Deer Tracking Dog Services - South West Ohio

hugo27bell75ty
09-22-2011, 04:23 PM
I will track with my german bred tracking dog in South West ohio. I have done tracks up to 27 hours old, but like to get out there the first evening. Stay out of the blood trail if you make a bad shot ( liver or gut) and give me a call (513)526-3806. Watch what the deer does after the hit( hunches up, lowers his tail, and shot placement).
http://trackingwoundeddeer.blogspot.com/

hugo27bell75ty
09-22-2011, 04:34 PM
MY dog tracks interdigital hoof scent when the blood runs out. I found this one last season 27 hours after the shot and a long track. The hunter didn't mind since he had enough cape for a shoulder mount after the yotes were finished.
(website) http://trackingwoundeddeer.blogspot.com/

Big_Holla
09-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Dave, this is a great service you are offering to our members. Some great success pictures which goes to show how valuable you and your dog can be!!

hugo27bell75ty
10-23-2011, 01:21 PM
This is Quella's latest find after a good rain. Even though the blood is washed away the scent is still there!!! The track was rather fresh though, it was only 4 hours old, but I was still impressed with this young dog.

mrbb
10-23-2011, 04:48 PM
well congrats to the pup, as well as to the hunter

hugo27bell75ty
11-01-2011, 12:40 PM

Another nice find for Quella. This one went 300 yards with blood ending after 75 yards. This was an easy track because the hunter or the outfitter didn't keep looking after loosing blood. when you loose blood and you or your search party (hunting buddies) go looking for the deer, you lay a blood trail for the dog to follow because its on the bottom of your shoes. The dog then tracks you instead of the deer, because the scent of blood that you laid is there for many hours and several days. If you shoot one there is nothing wrong with getting on your hands and knees, so you can look for blood, but do your self a favor and don't progress unless you find more blood. People who do this I feel I have a 100 percent sucess rate if you don't look any further when you loose blood, but people who don't, don't realize how hard it is on a dog to keep tracking up these false tracks. A dog works hard using it's nose and after an hour of searching for these fake tracks, me and the dog are ready to call it quits. I done a track last night where it took me an hour to sort out the track, but by going out past where the hunter went we were once again able to track, even though there wasn't any sign. Once she locked on to the deer she took me straight to the bucks bloody bed, but unfortunately the buck done jumped up before we got there, but the hunter and myself are satisfied that he is still alive, by the buck being to far ahead with little sign other than the small wound bed.

My website http://trackingwoundeddeer.blogspot.com/

Big_Holla
11-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Wow that's a great find for Quella Dave!! Congrats to the both of you and the lucky hunter!! BTW, you have an updated website, could you post up the link to people here?? Thanks!!

mrbb
11-01-2011, 10:52 PM
again conrgats to you's both

wish you were closer to me, if i ever needed your service!, but here in Pa, I'm a long ways off!

hugo27bell75ty
11-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Mrbb it's illegal in Pa, but if people like yourself talk to your state officials maybe you can get that changed. Andy Bensing lives in Pa and he has one of the best tracking dogs in the country. Andy is a proffesional dog trainer and I have called him on more than one occasion for help. Blood trackers are usually a good group of people from what I have seen so far.

mrbb
11-02-2011, 11:38 PM
are you sure, I was, or always thought that as long as a dog was on leash and no weapon was carried it was fine!
I know its illegal for dogs to chase der, but never heard of them finding deer being illegall do you know any more on this, or how to find out!

Pa has a few dumb rules for sure
think it is now just a few yr that it is legal to pick shed antlers prior to like 2000 or so it was illegal to do that!

where in Pa is he from?

never heard of him

ME I would roll the dice and still use a dog if it came down to loosing it or finding it
cannot really see a fine being that big or, odds of getting caught, as long as you dodn't post on like sites anyhow, LOL!

is there a web site for tracking dog group[s? that you know of

be interested in finding out more info if i could,

hugo27bell75ty
11-05-2011, 09:29 AM

monster buck my dog found that was gut shot. The track was almost 2 days old.

hugo27bell75ty
11-05-2011, 10:25 AM

THe buck I found yesterday.

hugo27bell75ty
11-16-2011, 07:14 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-bSsFfO5Swsg/TsOkut271UI/AAAAAAAAADc/yfUaI3lDTnY/s1600/Brian+Distler+buck+117.JPG
This buck went 1 mile after being shot in the gut. The hunter told me he hit the lungs, but the arrow almost hit the back leg. The track wasn't hard at all for my dog though. She is one bad dog!!! The hunter is a co- worker. I track within 50 miles from this address (1366 main street Hamilton, Ohio 45013) no exceptions

Big_Holla
11-17-2011, 12:47 PM
Dave, some great finds for you and Quella again!! Hey, thanks for taking my phone call last week when I hit that buck and had a hard time finding. We gave up the next day after a long search but the buck was eventually found by a family member on an adjoining property.

Dr.bamafan
11-17-2011, 10:08 PM
I hate that my first entry is an admission that my first shot on a big Ohio Buck failed to drop him within 50 Yards. Such is life and deer hunting. Moral of the story is I desperately need a tracker in Springboro/Miami Township area. I have permission from th adjacent landowner to pursue. I am available tonight or tomorrow, althouh I fear the coyotes may have him by then. Want the meat, but would settle for whatever I can salvage. Have left messages with 3 of the United Blood Trackers members in the area, but have not heard from them. Am willing to pay for the trouble. Thank you.

Here is the long story.

I am originally from Alabama and moved here via West Virginia with my family for ER residency. I've been here a year and a half and have been working feverishly to find a place to hunt close to home as I usually only have half days to hunt. I finally got permission to hunt a property and have hunted it now 4 days. Last night was the first time I saw deer including two bucks that only came close after legal shooting hours. This morning a bruiser came within 12 yards at one point. As I was hunting from the ground in a natural tall weed/grass blind I had to let him ease by so I could draw. There I had him between quartering away and broadside. I grunt to stop him as my heart is about to jump out of my chest as he turns to look straight at my torso sticking 3ft out of the weeds. At about 24 yards and from about 4-6 feet above him I released the arrow which made a hard hit that I could feel. The buck had dropped a bit at release so the hit was high and just back of the kill zone. Arrow entry about 4 inches below the top of back and at a downward angle such that the arrow exited the opposite side near mid chest. He jumped/stumbled away and them back to the right. As he turned I saw the arrow almost all the way out of his opposite side, but looking pretty solidly lodged. He immediately got to a stream crossing and crashed in so loudly I thought he might have dropped dead there, but no. I saw him just a few feet more then lost him behind some trees. It was windy and I was excited, so like an amateur I completely forgot to calmly listen for his escape. Anyway, his escape was through thick 4ft high weeds. I gave him half an hour, then went to the tree to see if I could find where he tracked I climbed a small tree and glassed the field for about an hour. After that, I started gonig through this tall grasslooking for blood, arrow or newly broken weeds that might tell me which way I should search. This took about another half an hour. Never found the arrow. Finally did find blood about 80 yards from hit site. Pretty good amount too. Followed that trail slowly and carefully glassing all the potential crump sites. Then the track veered off the gas line road into the woods. Blood was getting heavier too. I followed crossed another cut through and into the woods again. Still good blood. Could swear I smelled that musty hurt/distressed deer smell at that point, but close inspection showed no deer around. The trail went on another 40-50 yards crossing a stream, and then ended, like turning off the spicket. Some heavy tracks did carry on that trail but no blood. I mistakenly tracked all over creation after that point. But I had tried my best not to step in the blood. Moral of the story is I need the services of a tracking dog. He may not be mortally wounded, but I suspect that he will eventually die from this wound. I am literally sick to my stomach over this. If you know anyone who can help, please let me know.

hugo27bell75ty
11-26-2011, 02:35 PM
I apologize if I didn't return your call. I get tired of people calling me from out of state and hours away. I work full time and do this as a hobby. I also have kids to watch so I'm limited on calls I can take. For now on if people text me the county they live in I will return their call if I'm close to the track, so I don't waist my minutes screening all of these calls. I hope this makes since and i feel sorry for people who can't find their trophy.

Big_Holla
11-26-2011, 03:03 PM
Dave, I completely understand where you are coming from on this and I can bet others who read your posts can appreciate your honesty when it comes to this. Again, thank you for taking my call when you did, I more than appreciate you taking the time!! Heck I'd have made it well worth your while coming over to give me a hand LOL but completely understand family, time and distance constraints you all have. I think when a hunter is faced with losing any deer, and in my situation my buck of a lifetime, they can become frantic in their search. I would imagine a course or two in psychology would certainly help any of those thinking of doing this type of work!! Anyone who contacts you or anyone else should pay heed to your words and keep those thoughts in the back of their minds when that great blood trail turns sour. Good luck the rest of the season and thank you for being part of BowhuntingOhio.com!

hugo27bell75ty
11-26-2011, 11:55 PM
Thanks big holla. Big holla can let you know first hand that my intentions are to help the hunter with finding his or her deer whether I take the call or not. I have tried to find trackers on my free time for numerous hunters who couldn't find their deer if I didn't take the call. I guess I'm kind of a part time tracker with a very talented dog that I have worked with extensively. The only call that she didn't do well was in Loveland, but it wasn't her fault due to the strong winds and the hunter looking for his trophy. The last five out of six calls have been finds and I look forward to finding more. Check out my site and see some of the deer I have found. The second to the last buck that I have found went over 1 mile. I normally don't like crossing property lines, but I did and found his buck. I only took tracks on the last few for people that I knew, due to getting burned out on dealing with people calling me from many counties and some times states away. THe buck in this photo went one mile and was shot 3 times due to the fact that my dog wouldn't lose the deer with her awesome nose. I was really impressed on my dog as well as the hunter and the crowd that popped up when we put the finishing shot on this deer a little over 1 mile from the start of the track. The deer would have never been found without the aid of my dog. Not the biggest buck that I have found, but the hunter was still proud of his find and so was my dog and I.

hugo27bell75ty
09-14-2012, 07:24 PM
This is the type of track where a dog is needed. What you did wrong is search high and low when you could have called a tracker in with an experienced dog. A dog will follow you when you Instead of the deer when you walk through the blood. These are false tracks that throw a dog for a loop, because the dog is still doing it's job of tracking by following your footsteps with blood on it. Sometimes it's so bad a dog can't figure it out. Deer circle around slot and back track to loose pursuer and predators. A deer will also walk up a creek to loose a coyote or human, because scent won't stick to water and running water if that. Whitetails are smart and I know when my dog is off the line when I cross the creek I will make sure to walk the other side to pick up where the deer entered the woods again. I can't stress enough to people how well a dog can work and find a deer if they call as soon as possible. Your odds are increased when you call sooner than later. I tracked a deer last year over a mile with the deer crossing a creek three times with maybe a drop of blood every 100 yards or so, at least that's all I seen along with the hunter and his dad. When in doubt and out of blood,"back out" andQUOTE=Dr.bamafan;131009]I hate that my first entry is an admission that my first shot on a big Ohio Buck failed to Blood Tracking Dogs
trackingwoundeddeer.blogspot.com/Nov 19, 2011 – This buck my dog found was for a man and good friend who took me out several times ...
him within 50 Yards. Such is life and deer hunting. Moral of the story is I desperately need a tracker in Springboro/Miami Township area. I have permission from th adjacent landowner to pursue. I am available tonight or tomorrow, althouh I fear the coyotes may have him by then. Want the meat, but would settle for whatever I can salvage. Have left messages with 3 of the United Blood Trackers members in the area, but have not heard from them. Am willing to pay for the trouble. Thank you.

Here is the long story.

I am originally from Alabama and moved here via West Virginia with my family for ER residency. I've been here a year and a half and have been working feverishly to find a place to hunt close to home as I usually only have half days to hunt. I finally got permission to hunt a property and have hunted it now 4 days. Last night was the first time I saw deer including two bucks that only came close after legal shooting hours. This morning a bruiser came within 12 yards at one point. As I was hunting from the ground in a natural tall weed/grass blind I had to let him ease by so I could draw. There I had him between quartering away and broadside. I grunt to stop him as my heart is about to jump out of my chest as he turns to look straight at my torso sticking 3ft out of the weeds. At about 24 yards and from about 4-6 feet above him I released the arrow which made a hard hit that I could feel. The buck had dropped a bit at release so the hit was high and just back of the kill zone. Arrow entry about 4 inches below the top of back and at a downward angle such that the arrow exited the opposite side near mid chest. He jumped/stumbled away and them back to the right. As he turned I saw the arrow almost all the way out of his opposite side, but looking pretty solidly lodged. He immediately got to a stream crossing and crashed in so loudly I thought he might have dropped dead there, but no. I saw him just a few feet more then lost him behind some trees. It was windy and I was excited, so like an amateur I completely forgot to calmly listen for his escape. Anyway, his escape was through thick 4ft high weeds. I gave him half an hour, then went to the tree to see if I could find where he tracked I climbed a small tree and glassed the field for about an hour. After that, I started gonig through this tall grasslooking for blood, arrow or newly broken weeds that might tell me which way I should search. This took about another half an hour. Never found the arrow. Finally did find blood about 80 yards from hit site. Pretty good amount too. Followed that trail slowly and carefully glassing all the potential crump sites. Then the track veered off the gas line road into the woods. Blood was getting heavier too. I followed crossed another cut through and into the woods again. Still good blood. Could swear I smelled that musty hurt/distressed deer smell at that point, but close inspection showed no deer around. The trail went on another 40-50 yards crossing a stream, and then ended, like turning off the spicket. Some heavy tracks did carry on that trail but no blood. I mistakenly tracked all over creation after that point. But I had tried my best not to step in the blood. Moral of the story is I need the services of a tracking dog. He may not be mortally wounded, but I suspect that he will eventually die from this wound. I am literally sick to my stomach over this. If you know anyone who can help, please let me know.[/QUOTE]

Big_Holla
09-17-2012, 12:17 PM
Everyone, Dave has updated his website and has additional Ohio trackers available for you this season. Head over and check it out BEFORE you need one!!!

hugo27bell75ty
08-28-2016, 05:51 PM
Hey big holla a lot of people quit tracking, or wanted me to take their contact info down, so I took there contact info down. I do however stay in contact with some trackers that can help, if I can't 513-526-3806 Dave

Big_Holla
09-21-2016, 05:37 PM
Hey there Dave, I haven't been on here much this year. Thanks for updating your post and number. By chance, do you have anyone that covers Meigs County?