PDA

View Full Version : Tracking Help!!

Big_Holla
09-22-2011, 09:38 AM
If you might be willing to help a fellow BowhuntingOhio.com member in tracking a deer this season please post what counties you might be willing to go to. Who knows, you may need help one day yourself. Also, if anyone has a tracking dog available please let us know. Once you see someone is in your area it may be a good idea to PM them to get their contact information just in case.

At some times of the Fall I will be available in Meigs County or even Athens County.

jsyn
09-22-2011, 09:48 AM
i live in lorain county, willing to help out if needed in lorain, huron, cuyahoga or medina counties
pm for # if needed

hugo27bell75ty
09-22-2011, 04:23 PM
755375527547 I will track with my german bred tracking dog in South West ohio. I have done tracks up to 27 hours old, but like to get out there the first evening. Stay out of the blood trail if you make a bad shot ( liver or gut) and give me a call (513)526-3806. Watch what the deer does after the hit( hunches up, lowers his tail, and shot placement). This info gives me an idea whether we can find your deer or not.

hugo27bell75ty
09-22-2011, 04:34 PM
75517548 MY dog tracks interdigital hoof scent when the blood runs out. I found this one last season 27 hours after the shot and a long track. The hunter didn't mind since he had enough cape for a shoulder mount after the yotes were finished.

Big_Holla
09-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Great to see you are going to offer your services again this year Dave!! I took the time and copied your posts to create your own personal thread. Feel free to update us any time with any success pictures and how the season is going. Here is that link:

http://www.bowhuntingohio.com/forum/showthread.php/15627-Deer-Tracking-Dog-Services-South-West-Ohio

Bambislastbreath
09-22-2011, 05:24 PM
guernsey or noble county

zach-the-deer-slayer
09-22-2011, 07:19 PM
Wayne county sometimes, Jackson or Scioto sometimes

mrbb
09-22-2011, 08:42 PM
I have a contact for aguy that is near the columbus ohio area with a tracking dog as well
he ws on this site last yr and before that,
but don't know if he is still on or not, so I can pass on his phone # if some one wants to pm me, as i am not sure if he would like me posting for all to see

he has a lab, a very nice guy, tried to help me two seasons ago, but conditions were terrible,( lots of snow, then rain then snow, then rain all nite and day, just sucked for tracking zero sign or scent to be had, minus the bloody arrow) so we still couldn't find the deer i hit,
but the dog sure did try! and if conditions were better i am pretty sure it would have

countryhunter50
09-22-2011, 08:49 PM
nw ohio for me...i would be willing to help in wood, lucas, ottawa counties and hope i dont need any help!!

superbuckeye
09-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Brown and Clermont here.

ohiobuckhunter
09-24-2011, 09:51 PM
I can give anyone a hand in portage or Trumbull counties

Outdrzman
09-28-2011, 05:56 PM
I have a contact for a guy that is near the columbus ohio area... he has a lab, a very nice guy, tried to help me two seasons ago...

Hey MRBB, I think I might know that guy! ;-) I'm still willing to help out. I'll get my info back up here in just a few mins...

mwsports24
09-28-2011, 06:31 PM
i live in sw ohio...willing to help anyone in sw...if my in southest..willing to help jackson galia

Outdrzman
10-07-2011, 04:35 PM
Hey folks!!

Cliff here (AKA Outdrzman)... I have a high-end, working bred Yellow lab who has been deer tracking for 3 years now. I bought her with tracking in mind, and have trained her to do this since she was a tiny puppy. Not sure exactly how many recoveries we have together, but it's a pretty nice list. We've had some failures too - that's the nature of helping on tracking jobs.

I live just north of Columbus, OH and have a farm in Athens county. This time of year it's tough to know for sure where I'm going to be at any given time (home/farm). That being the case, it's best just to call and see if I can make it out to you. I will usually limit my drive time to 1 hour. I do not charge for tracking, though I do ask for gas money. Some folks also throw in a "tip"... that's very much appreciated but is completely up to you.

Before you call:
1. I need you to understand this: I do this as a hobby. I have a regular day job and am not able to take off for a tracking run in the middle of a work day. It's ok if you call during the day, but I want you to know what to expect when I answer.

This may seem obvious, but I need to make another point here: I had a guy get very beligerant with me last year because I wasn't able to drive to Cininnati at 10am on a Wednesday. After the attitude, I told him "no" but he kept calling me... so I blocked his number. Then he had the nerve to have his buddies call me also! This went on for more than 48 hours, including at night. Please don't do this, it makes me not want to help. Just remember that you are asking a near stranger for free help and we'll be off to a great start. :coolgleamA:

2. I need to talk to the person who took the shot. I will ask about your hunting setup, the deer's behavior before/after the shot, what you have done to try and recover the animal, etc. Please don't call me and ask me to call someone else.

3. Time matters! The sooner we get there, the better the odds of recovery. Waiting 48-72 hrs before calling me stacks the odds against us all.

4. When you realize you need help, quietly back out of there and call me right away. Please stay out of the blood trail. Don't get 10 buddies to scour the woods *before* you call me. This just means you're likely to cross the deer's trail and then track that scent around the woods.

5. I need to have permission to go onto the land where we will be tracking. It's a firm rule of mine, not to mention being the law! I expect you to tell me when we are crossing property boundaries.

OK, so if you're still reading - you're my kind of hunter! My cell number is: 614-570-one six seven zero. **This is to be used for requesting deer tracking assistance only***

BowGuy2
10-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Wayne and Holmes county for me

mrbb
10-07-2011, 09:10 PM
outdrxman/ Cliff
glad to see you back on here

I will vouch for you saying your a nice guy and your dog does try , in my case it was hard with all the rain/snow that fell

But sure if it wasn't for that things could have been different

did find the one buck in late season by a neighbor, we were very close, just some how missed it!

hugo27bell75ty
10-09-2011, 08:04 PM
Cliff you summed it up nicely. The same applies for me when you call me to track. I spared nothing including money and time on my dog including training and know the best chances of finding the deer you shot are to call me and not have all your friends and realitives tramping blood all over the place within a reasonable time period. When you hunters step on blood our dogs follow where you walk, because you are now laying a new blood trail on the ground for the dog to follow which takes the focus away from the real track. A dog works hard following these lines and can tire a dog out early in warm weather. I am confident that if you put a fatal hit on your deer, my dog will find your buck if you listen to what cliff said about staying out of the blood and calling as soon as you can. 513-526-3806. I also ask the reaction and shot placement of the deer. Cliff I have had someone call me about someone elses shot deer many times and it makes me wonder if maybe their tagging out two bucks, one with their tag and one with someone elses. Did you get your lab from the J J line down in Mississippi. Tara plantation ?http://trackingwoundeddeer.blogspot.com/

shaggy
10-10-2011, 07:23 PM
crawford county, 419 612 9368

work monday through thursday. get home around 5:30

MeigsDave
11-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Meigs County
I work M-F home around 5:30

SLIDER0906
09-13-2012, 10:55 PM
Willing to help whenever. I live in the Cincy area during the week and usually get out of work around 7pm, but spend a lot of my weekends hunting in Hocking Co/ Logan area. I have a lab that i've been working with for tracking purposes and was a great tool on 3 tracks last season....send me a message for phone number. Good luck!

deerhunter27
09-14-2012, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the help. If there is anyone around the Morrow County area please let me know.

hugo27bell75ty
09-16-2012, 01:34 AM
I have an experienced blood tracking dog. I have the area I track in on my site and a list of other trackers in ohio with the counties they live in and probably track in. Any questions call me at 513-526-3806 (Dave). The sooner you call the better odds of recovery.
http://trackingwoundeddeer.blogspot.com/

hugo27bell75ty
10-21-2012, 01:44 AM
Have a few more finds on my site. I will update more when I have time.
http://trackingwoundeddeer.blogspot.com/

Big_Holla
10-21-2012, 08:41 PM
Great updates Dave! The latest buck was a dandy and then some! Great find for Quella and you!!

Trackman
09-28-2013, 03:34 PM
I have a well trained wire-haired dachshund that loves to find deer. We are from Winchester OH. We do travel a large part of the state. We will travel as far as we can to help so don't think I won't come to your location. My dog is the real deal. 937-515-6470

Hog Hunter
03-21-2016, 08:59 PM
Southwest Ohio, Northern Kentucky, Southeast Indiana,
Catahoula
513-827-0870