PDA

View Full Version : 2011/2012 Deer Activity, Hunting Report, Season Information & Rut Report

Big_Holla
09-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Everyone, let us know what you are seeing out there for deer activity when you are scouting and while hunting this season. If you are comfortable with it, list the county or region you are reporting from. If your report is from a state other than Ohio please still list it here but make sure you mention what state it's from and again, the county or region of that state.

Let us know when you find rubs, scrapes, pre-rut, rut and all post-rut activity. Additional information such as acorn reports, what the deer are eating in your area, deer activity such as bachelor groups, family groups or herding, sparring activity, knock down drag out fights and even the moment you spot a buck with shed antlers. Let us all know! Pictures to go along with your post would be great!

This post will also help out BowhuntingOhio.com member Lucky1 in his research study he is doing at Kent State University:

http://www.bowhuntingohio.com/forum/showthread.php/15539-Become-part-of-a-published-article!?p=125783#post125783

zach-the-deer-slayer
09-11-2011, 10:15 PM
Scioto County OH

I'm seeing a lot of doe and fawn groups feeding in open hayfields in the late evening. Theyre emerging from the woods at about 7:30 pm and grazing into the night. I've seen a few groups of small bucks traveling from cover to cover, but not feeding.

mrbb
09-11-2011, 10:49 PM
up my way, been seeing a lot of bucks now out of velvet, still in groups of bucks thouigh

and acorns are far and few in most places, where apples are heavy this yr
but man its been wet, too much rain, hope it dry out some before the season!, and isn't a sign of what the winter is going to be like!
or there will be kill off if we get snow like we have rain!
over 60+ inches so far this yr in my area!, double norma for the yr, and still couple months to go!!l!!

offtheground
09-14-2011, 02:59 PM
Seen first rub yesterday in Clermont county, velvet is coming off. Zero white oaks but red oaks are on this year.

switchXTindiana
09-14-2011, 03:52 PM
The big boys have been hitting the soy beans and corn in the late evenings in my spot in SW Ohio. They've been appearing in the fields about 30min before sunset like clockwork for the past month. As sunset gets earlier, they come out earlier. My farm in indiana is mostly hardwoods w/ a 4 acre crp field and mostly all i have is trailcam footage in the early morning hrs of them headed out of the woods into the crp. I think our deer out there are moving more to feed in the crop fields on properties further away since the acorns are lacking.

spike
09-14-2011, 05:42 PM
Seen first scrape Monday evening in Wayne county Ohio.

mwsports24
09-24-2011, 05:30 AM
heading out the door i cant believe its here!!!!!!! good luck to everyone thats heading out....lets get some arrows bloody boys!!!!

zach-the-deer-slayer
09-24-2011, 08:34 PM
Well had a deer blow at me around 6. I'm sick and apparently deer aren't attracted to the sound of sneezing.

blackbeard
09-24-2011, 09:36 PM
09/24/11 (Sat) AM report- Got on stand a little late at 7:00, shooting light came about 7:10-7:15. Nice morning, 60's and cool, but the wind was very light and went from SW to E by the time I left at 10:00 AM. If it weren't for texting MWsports and Split_G2 it would have been a boring morning. Never saw a thing othern than bees and squirrels. Had alot of yellow jackets flying around the hickory tree I was in, there is a fairly big locust tree right beside it with alot of holes in it so I was thinking when I put the stand up there was probably bees there. They didn't bother me I didn't bother them, we can co-exist. Had to have a stand in this spot though, it overlooks the intersection of three dozer paths, through some thick stuff. About 100 yards away one path opens up into some oaks and the white oak acorns are falling heavy right now. So I won't give up on this spot just because of today, it should be a good place to be hanging around during the rut as well. Didn't get to hunt this evening, I spent the evening preparing the yard for my little boy's birthday party tomorrow afternoon. So out again on Sunday morning.

redneckross
09-24-2011, 11:00 PM
opener. am
sat 40 yds inside the timber in a trifecta pinch point between a beaver pond, switchgrass/crp field and bedding cover. have a 40 acre bean field 200 yds across the creek and up the hill due south of the location. DIDNT SEE SQUAT!

walked out around 1030 got busted by a monster sized doe in another field, she jumped down in the creek bottom and having been busted like this before i droped all my crap, knocked an arrow and headed over to the edge of the high bank. sure enough she was trotting right up the creek to me. i came to full draw with her at 30 ft. yes FEET. then she jumped to the other bank:( the other bank is private property. she looked back at me from 20 yds and just walked into the timber.

had to work at bass pro for the evening. might try another location in the morning if i get up on time. if not ill be at BPS from 11-730:( this second job sucks during hunting season.

tjcff156
09-25-2011, 07:38 AM
Saw 5 doe and a nice 10 point at about 0800 headed back into the woods from a bean field..... headed back out this afternoon...

MICH
09-25-2011, 10:15 AM
out with my son again his morning(barry cty,mich.) 2 bucks,a fork horn & a wide 6 pt., they were hammering the acorns, but no shots & we cann't hunt tonight

blackbeard
09-25-2011, 10:19 AM
09/25/11 (Sun) AM report- got on stand at 6:45. Light NE/E wind. I hunted out of an 18-ft ladder stand which overlooks the intersection of an old gas pipeline and new dozer road. Never saw anything other than squirrels going nuts in some hickorys until 9 AM when a doe worked her way along the ridge below me eating acorns. Too far for a shot. Beautiful morning, light breeze kept the mosquitos away, cool, and the woods were going nuts with birds and squirrels. Light rain started at 9:45 so I called it a morning.

shaggy
09-25-2011, 01:56 PM
crawford county.
had two small bucks come in at about 8:00 A.M.

Sat In stand till about noon. No other activity

shaggy
09-25-2011, 08:26 PM
thought I'd also add that I have found a handful of small rubs and spotted the start of a scrape this afternoon.

Seeker Bp
09-25-2011, 08:31 PM
Opening day weekend, what can I say...Fabulous!!! Hunted some wayne co public land first thing. Just pretty much a lazy, hazy day in the tree. no deer, lots of sign, but nothing really fresh. seems to be an area well used by human and deer. Finished out my last few hours on my own plot in ashland co. Passed up a very tasty looking momma doe with twins. No hurry.. Sunday was spent enjoying family at Heritage Days at Malabar Farms, then into my private 5 acres. It was a night of great deer movement. The wind was blowing pretty steady out of the South....Sitting on a split section of corn and hay, just inside the woods. Anything at 20 and 30 was a morsal, the big queens were 60 and 70 out. Came out of the corn and ate in the hay.. Then bedded till I could see no more. Slow decent and slow retreat...Into the week we go...and so many other places to see.... Tell me this aint better than any other sport... Seeker BP

blackbeard
09-27-2011, 09:54 AM
09/26/11 (Mon) AM report- got out at 5:15 after the rain stopped. Gorgeous evening. Three does came in at 7:00, mature doe and twins. Passed several shots on the mature doe and waited on one of the smaller twins. The first twin finally stopped at 24 yards quartering away, hit her high, muscle blood only, didn't find her, she's still walking around I'm sure. That's why they call it hunting, I hate it, but it happens. The mistake I made was not shooting the mature doe when I had a chance. But I just can't take shooting mommy when she has twins with her, always ends up being a big scene that makes me feel like dirt!

noidurism
09-27-2011, 09:47 PM
got into the woods at 1:30 this afternoon and didn't see anything till about 5. spotted a couple doe about 80 yds. from me. then out of the corner of my eye i seen a deer about 15 yds. to my left. as it come around the brush and trees it ended up 8 yds. right smack in front of me. it looked at me all puzzled trying to figure out what i was and kept bobbing its head and sniffing the air for about 5 min. i thought for sure it was gonna bust and whiff me because the wind was at my back. but i remained stone still and it finally walked away. it was only a button buck so i figured that was probably his mom and bro. or sis. that was 80 yds. away but they didn't come any closer. i just love that intense rush of adrenaline from being face to face with a deer.........

blackbeard
09-28-2011, 01:31 AM
09/27/11 (Tue) PM report- Got out of the office late at 5:00 and headed to a spot on a piece of property my cousin has leased. I'm very familiar with the property because I used to hunt it before Mead/West Vaco/F&W purchased it. I hadn't previously prepared this ground spot I was heading to so when I got there I had to quickly trim some shooting lanes and prepare a ground spot behind a big white oak. The spot was on a hillside which overlooked a fence corner where thick brush meets 10 year old pine trees. Below me was a hollow. Deer skirt around the fence corner to travel through the area, making for a perfect ambush site. So I tucked myself back behind a white oak, behind the fence and waited for the evening to unfold. The mosquitoes were bad and the weather was warm, with little wind. At 6:40 I caught a glimpse of a deer coming around the fence corner. I was standing so I grabbed my bow. The yearling doe fed around the corner, through the saplings I had just cut, and started up the fence line toward me. At 10 yards she stopped broadside, I drew, and let the arrow fly. However because she was so close my fletching hit the top fence wire and sailed over her back. Uh-oh. She ran into the pines and deer started blowing in all directions. I quickly knocked another arrow and right after that a mature doe came around the fence corner below me and was heading toward the pines where the yearling went. The mature doe stopped at 25 yards, quartering away, and I had to move slightly to my left to shoot around a fence post. I let the arrow fly and she bounded off and blew a couple times when running off, which was weird for a mortally wounded deer to do. The mature doe went into the pines and there was silence. I was pretty sure I put a good shot on her but I waited 20 minutes, found the arrow, and found her. She was a big doe. I hit her perfectly, the broadhead entered in front of her back hip and exited behind her opposite front shoulder, going right through the diaphragm. 40 yards is all she could go before meeting her maker. I must say I was very impressed by the way my Scentlok Vertigo Tan coveralls blended in to the brush. The yearling at 10 yds and the mature doe at 25 yds could not pick me out.

blueflu42
09-30-2011, 11:25 PM
Opening day had a fawn come 15 yards of my position. I could hear a couple does about 40 yards away from me in the woods checking around. Something spooked the does and they all retreated away from me. I started hitting the doe call and I had a small 4 point come running and stop at 40 yards from me. He would stare at me and put his head down. He repeated that for about 5 minutes. Then all of suddenly, he stomped his front leg, snorted and weezed, and took off the direction he came.

mrbb
10-01-2011, 01:39 PM
10/01/11 opening morning in Pa
was 47 degrees when I left home, with rain looking sky all morning, and little to no wind!

hope temps stay this low and get lower!

well was a slow morning saw a few deer on the drive in on the farm all doe, and or fawns

only sat till about 8;45, nothing moving and mosquitoes were getting thick

I think i am in for a lot harder season, as waterlevel are beyond high
I have a small stream that runs the propperty and 60+% of my normal deer bed on teh other side, the steam is normally only about 2+3 ft deep and about 10-15 ft wide
right now its about 40-200 ft wide and about 10-20 ft deep, its un real, all the swamps are now like ponds, so what ever deer were bedding there ain't now unless they have a house boat!
I think many of the deer are trapped on the other side of the creek
so i am at the mercy of mother nature till the water levels come back down, and calling for more rain today and the hext several!!

trail cam pic, that most of my regular bucks I got pic's of daily for weeks now, are down to just 3 of the 16 or so that seemed to be on every day before the flooded waters
and not even getting many doe pic's now either, and I normally have too many of them

and mosquitoes, talk about thick with them, never in my life have i seen them like this,
going to be hard hunting till water comes down
may have to relocated till then up north and that sucks.
be back out this evening
hope other have it better than me!

mrbb
10-01-2011, 08:55 PM
evening hunt, started off Ok, was cool 48 degree's, and a light drizzle
little to no wind
at 5'30 had two doe, and two fawns feed out in a plot about 80 yrds from me for a while, then like clock work,i had a few bucks walk past me, and stop at 21 yrds to watch the doe's
had 5 bucks in all come by, all about 5 minutres a part, and everyone stopped right at the 22 yrd spot for about a full min quarting away
one 4 pts and four 6 pointers, just way too small

here are there pic's from trail cam's

this one was the biggest, folloed by the rest all smaller
don't have a pic of the 4th six that came out tonight he was a new to me buck
By the end of the evening it was pouring the last hour and a half, wind was heavy, actually bleew my quiver off a bow hanger(thats a first for me too) and was 41 degre's while I was driving home
overall not a bad sit, but deer movement is way off with all the flooded areas at the farm right now

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/mrbb1/006-1.jpg
http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/mrbb1/016-1.jpg

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/mrbb1/030-4.jpg
and the 4 ptr
http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/mrbb1/076-3.jpg

treelounger
10-02-2011, 04:24 PM
I've seen no rut activity as of yet. I've made it out twice the first night 9/24 I had a button buck walk past(I gave him a free pass) 10/1 I made it out for an evening hunt had a little forky walk through(another free pass) He ended up winding me and moving off to a corn field. I did however hear at least three other deer splash through a ditch that seperates the bedding area from the corn field. They were moving kind of late, but I was surprised to see they were heading for the corn as it was plantedlater than most and at this point it is still quite green.

blackbeard
10-03-2011, 04:18 PM
10/01/11 (Sat) AM report- awesome morning, 38 degrees, nice consistent W wind, I sat in a white/red oak grove in the corner of my property. I saw 3 does, 4 small bucks, and 1 unknown deer (couldn't see for brush). Could have killed any of the does but there was too much deer movement to be shooting a doe and the bucks were too small, the one buck was a 2x4 with velvet, very odd looking, and was trailing the four does.

10/01/11 (Sat) PM report- awesome evening, high 40's and light rain with NW wind, I sat along a pasture field edge where deer follow a fenceline to cross it in the evening. I saw 8 does, 2 small bucks, and 3 unknown deer (too dark to tell). Could have killed any of the four does that crossed in front of me but my father in law has been seeing a decent buck in the area so I waited to see if he appeared, he didn't.

blackbeard
10-03-2011, 08:15 PM
10/03/11 (Mon) PM report- 55 degrees with N/NW light, consistent breeze. Nice evening. I hunted the oak grove I hunted on Saturday. At 6:15 I kept seeing a deer's tail wagging in front of me about 45 yards through the brush. Finally a branch fell out of the tree and scared the yearling away. Then at 6:45 a BB followed by a 5-6 pt came out into an opening at 50 yds and ate acorns until dark. That was it. Beautiful evening to be in the woods though, squirrels were going nuts.

mrbb
10-03-2011, 09:15 PM
10/03/11
no am hunting, had things to do, but at 6 am it was raining and only 33 degree's in my back yard, cold and wet!

this eveneing, got on stand at about 3;45, had deer already out in my foodplots, they busted me trying to get to a stand!

was 45 degrees, little to no wind, and a light rain!, and loioked like it was going to pour any time
so i decide to sit in my one stand i have with a roof over it

at 4;30 had a small 6 ptr come by at 35 yrds, then follweed by another 6ptr, 10 minutes later
they decided to do some friendly sparring for about 15 minutes, then went back to feeding
5;10 pm, had a big Great blue heron land just above me on a branch say 3 ft above me, and take a huge crap, thank god I had that roof or i would have been pissed about being crapped on by that huge critter!
5;45, had one of my best bucks come out 80 yrds from me, he is not huge by any means, but veru above average for my area
he is a 18" wide 8 pointer, with about 6" bases, but thin and short tined, maybe in the 130's, he fed for over 20 minutes at 80 yrds then went back into the timber, he came back out same place with one of the other better 8's i have again in the 130's but heavier and only about 15 inches wide

they are going to be very tempting, as i really only have one deer I have seen this yr bigger than these, but they really need one more yr
but with all the poaching i have and hunting pressue next to me, if i pass it could very easily be for nothing ,

then I had a few more smaller bucks, and a few does come out, only a few came into range though, but was an active evening

sad part is with all the flooded woods near me, all my normal hot spots are off, as deer are now entering food plots in wierd places due to water effecting how they can get about, and i guess where there bedding now as to before the flood!
so most of my sets are not like they should be, now most deer seem out of range from them, will be hitting the climber i think!

mrbb
10-04-2011, 08:57 PM
10/04/11
Ok didn't hunt this morning, raining and just didn't have it in me

evening got on stand at 3;30, steady breeze but light, tenmps were about 55 degrees,a nd rising till about 6 then dropped
a slow drizzle at first then the sun came out from about 5 till end of day nice sit
tons of mosquitoes
thermacell tomorrow for sure!
didn't a deer till 5;45, a small doe

then about 10 m inutes later deer were coming out of the woodwork
they seemed to be every where

coming from all direction, actually was terrible, as I didn't know what way to get ready for

had a one of my better bucks again the wide 8 ptr working his way to me, was going to be a test for sure o if i could pass him, he on the edge of what i would like, and huge potential if he could just live one more yr

he was following a few small bucks that walked right by me at 15 yards along a fence(7-8 ft tall in most spots0
and just when I thought i would have to see what i would do, he jumped the fence at 31 yrds and was then at 38 yrds when he past me, too far and glad he helped me hold back!
I had about 12 bucks now out in a food plot about 50 yrds from me

then i had a few new bucks show up, all in the 120's and one very nice 10 I would say at about 140 or so, dark horns and tall tines good mass, but only about 15 wide, but tall! but they were new bucks for me to see, came from off the property, and actually had to swim across a flooded stream, I could hear them swimming due to how fast the current is, they had to work at it to cross, and then shaking the water off, was pretty cool to hear!

decided I would kill him if i got the chance

i had about 15 deer any where from at the base of my tree to about 30 yrds from it, and i couldn't move too many eys all over the place

they started to work there way to the food plot, was able to move a little for a shot, but still had so many all over
I use a fe rocks for yardage markers, and had a few close together at 22-35-38 yrds the ones i use!, and some mixed in I don't, and I had a deer on almost every one so guessing which one was what was what i did

this 10, decided to leave and when he hit one of the rocks/markers i thought was my 35 yrd one, I put my 30 yrd pin on him, and aimed a tad high

and
RIGHT over his back, he was at 25 yrds, I missed judged, , thought it looked closer, but was looking at the rock he was next to, and it wasn't one of my marker rocks, I just thought it was and was trusting that, and not what I was seeing for distance

so a clean miss

he ran about 60 yrds, and then worked his way where ever, never really knew what happened or where I was

I decided to call it a nite, still had about a half hr, but when he bolted a most of the deer left the food plot and figured it was a good way out right now without getting busted
so I took it, didn't see a deer or hear one see me(no snorts or running sounds)

got back to my truck, and remembered i left my quiver in the tree

so I waited a little bit, and decided I could drive prety close, and that would be a safer way to go get it

when i got to the food plots i counted 42 deer, 15 bucks that had branched antlers, and the big buck i shot at! so he didn't go far, they ran when i got close in the truck, and qquickly grabbed the quiver and left

great nite minus the miss

also here is the wide 8 i passed, hoping he live to see next yr

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/mrbb1/011-2.jpg

mrbb
10-05-2011, 09:11 PM
10/05/11 evening hunt
warm today 68 when I went in at 4 pm, steady 10 mph winds

didn't see a deer till 6;10pm, had a gropu of doe and yearlyings show up right under me and feed in the plot a totale of 10 deer all females, even the fawns were all doe, no buttons at all

then at last light had mroe deer pour out, but too dark to tell what they were

was 50 degrees when i left, and calling for a drop to low 30's tonight

but a high of close to 70 tomorrow, so a swing in temps now
hope it dry up some of this flood water!

solohunter
10-06-2011, 08:54 AM
10-4-11

Light NW wind. Does seem to be moving really early adjacent to the crop fields browsing for acorns. Bucks seem to be coming out into the fields at last light.

Forgot to post 9-25-11 had 2 of shooters come out right at last light. One was the buck thats #1 on my hitlist, 170" 10 point I call "Kicker 10" because of his kickers off his G2's. I haven't been able to get back in that stand yet because of classes and no south wind. Once I get a south wind I will be right back in that spot. He seemed to be up early browsing for acorns in his staging area, then right at last light moving to the alfalfa field. Will keep everyone updated....

mrbb
10-06-2011, 09:26 PM
10/06/11
didn't hunt this morning
went to Cabela's
BUt had a heavy frost this morning in my yard!

evening hunt, 63 degrees at 4 pm,
didn't see a deer moving till about 6 pm, then they started to hit my corn, comng out of the woods in about 20 different spots
tried to keep a count but too many mixingg in with each other
I would say about 28-30 doe and yearlings and 3 small 6 pointers, that I could see, 2 of them walked past me at 10 yrds,and so did a few of the doe, but 80% of the deer were 60+ yrds from me in and out of the corn

was 42 degree's when i hit my truck at about 7;30 pm
and calling for low 30's for tonight

blackbeard
10-07-2011, 01:10 AM
Keep the reports coming guys, this is the best thread on this forum, really gives us all an idea of what deer are doing.

offtheground
10-07-2011, 01:26 AM
Went out on my first hunt for this year this evening. Wearing shorts to stand a nice 80 degrees! Went to new location on property that looks promising that was located last year. Had tagged tree but I didn't remember poison oak on tree. Had to cut my way up the tree while climbing. Was in tree from 4:30 until 7:45 and did not see a thing. First time in a long time being skunked, deer hunting. I guess blame it on the heat. Still like location for November hunt.

mrbb
10-07-2011, 08:59 PM
10/07/11
evening hunt, had a late start didn't get on stand till 4;55 pm

was hot, like 75 degree's and very sunny, and little to no wind

had first deer show up at 5:30 a medium sized doe, fed all about me for 30 minutes then started to go back into the timber, not sure why, normally deer feed and stay out till midnight or later(trail cams say anyways)

she went into the timber then came back out 30 minutes later and beded under me.
at 6;15, I had three 6 pointers walk up to that doe eyeballing her like a piece of candy!
they poked at her trying to get under her tail for a sniff. she got up, sorta played with them and then they pestered her to no end, till she out ran them in the corn, and made it back to the timber without them on her tail
they were looking for her for about ten minuts before they decided to feed
then even they decied to go back into the timber after eating just a little
didn't see any more deer

this is very odd for me, I normally have deer in my food plots EVERY evening! at least a few

might have had a bunch of guys hunting my border, as weather was nice, and its that time of yr!

try again tomorrow!

mrbb
10-08-2011, 10:10 PM
I'm beginning to think I'm the only one hunting here

any ways
10/08/11
no morning hunting again, too many odds and ends to do

evening
75 degree's
going in, 5 mph wind
56 degrees leaving, warm nite for sure, neds to cool off I think
had a friend come to hunt this evening
set him up in a stand of his choice, since he doen't get much time, he picked a stand, so I planned about him

we went to our stands at 4 pm(or so i thought)
I got set up, and within 15 minutes had a doe and 2 yearlings show up, then at 5:30 had a small 6 pointer show up, then another doe and yearling
and then another 6 pointer
then deer can from way out of range and feed into the food plot i was sitting over, about 20-30 deer in all, no shooters

my friend was suposed to be in a stand 500 yards below me on the same field edge, with the idea that when dark came he would walk towards me, and thus bust the deer out of the plot in front of me, so they didn't know I ws there and I could climb down and leave never being seen, keeping the stand good!

well dark came, and deer all over in front of me
so I waited, figured he had deer in front of him, and he was waiting for them to move off!

well half hr goes by!

deer still in front of me
but plenty dark, so i figure maybe he shot something
so I climb down
sneek to the tree line, thinking how i am going to scare the deer without SCARING them

I am standing on a corner of a treeline 500 yrds of open filed between me and my truck!

I am standing there when I hear something coming towards me
up out of my beans and brassicia plot, a yote comes up to where I am standing
and stops like 5 feet from me!
he then see's me, and see's the deer at same time
he looks at me, then look's at the deer, then , me, then the deer
and he is like an honest 5 ft from me
then he runs out towards the deer, more to eat corn, than them

deer run off, solved my problem
get back to my truck, find my friend waiting there, tells em half way to the stand, he changed his mind, and wanted to hunt a different one

Got to love when they do that!
you think you had a plan to find out they changed it with telling you!

he saw several doe, no bucks

tony
10-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Hunted tonight but should of stayed home. I was running late getting out, then i forgot my quiver so I had to go back to the house and get some freakin arrows!!:banghead: Then in all the rushing I was havin a heck of a time with my new climber. Anyway the night was a bust. Ive been out 2 morning and 5 evenings and have seen a few small bucks and quite a few does. I havent seen any real "huge" bucks yet, not even on my trail cameras so.... that is making me scratch my head.
I have seen a bunch of corn and beans getting picked this weekend so that makes me happy, my farm is all corn this year.

Big_Holla
10-10-2011, 12:31 PM
Spent Saturday 10/8 and Sunday 10/9 out in the Ohio woods in Meigs County. We found several great rubs scattered around on the property and not a single scrape. We saw 6 deer Saturday, 2 doe family groups and a single doe & fawn on Sunday. White oaks seem to be loaded this year and the deer are gobbling them up. A few black oaks have good acorns as well and the same seems to be true with those being gobbled up. The corn seems to be a few weeks from being ready to cut and the deer and coons are loving it! Treestands are set and ready to go! Would have been best to have them done months ago but this is the hand we were dealt.

hunt_ohio_bucks
10-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Have spent much of the last week in the woods. Been hunting mostly AG fields containing soybeans, corn, and winter wheat. The soybeans up here are just about perfect for the deer right now. Almost all solid brown in color which is always a good sign. Anyway, have seen alot of activity much like most of you when the weather has been cooler. Have seen a few nice bucks here or there but the warmer weather has them feeding well after dark now. The does are still making there way out a half hour before dark or so. This at least gives you some amusement before calling it a night. Plan on heading out again tomorrow night. Keep up all the great info being shared on this thread..........the better the info the more sucess for all of us!

Stonegod
10-10-2011, 07:18 PM
Spent Saturday 10/8 and Sunday 10/9 out in the Ohio woods in Meigs County. We found several great rubs scattered around on the property and not a single scrape. We saw 6 deer Saturday, 2 doe family groups and a single doe & fawn on Sunday. White oaks seem to be loaded this year and the deer are gobbling them up. A few black oaks have good acorns as well and the same seems to be true with those being gobbled up. The corn seems to be a few weeks from being ready to cut and the deer and coons are loving it! Treestands are set and ready to go! Would have been best to have them done months ago but this is the hand we were dealt.

Glad to hear you're making it down to Ohio......if I'm remembering it right...... things didn't work out for you as far as hunting ohio last season.

mrbb
10-10-2011, 09:22 PM
10/10/11
again no am hunting

they started to harvest the potato's at my place and that had deer movenents off
sat from 5 pm till dark, Nothing
BUt on my way into the woods today I found a half eaten squirrel, wit just its guts eaten, rest was intact

so thats was my day today!

hunt_ohio_bucks
10-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Planning on hunting Woodbury and Tri-Valley the first week of November.........Anyone have any suggestions on good places to start looking on an upcoming scouting trip?

mrbb
10-11-2011, 08:52 PM
no am hunting today 10/11/11
warm, almost hot, 77 degrees going in this evening
thought about sitting at home imn front of the Tv

they are still harvesting the potato's and have mmy place all screwed up for hunting as well as the harvesting
so really though about not hunting
BUT cannot kill one that way for sure

decieded to sit on the food plot farthest from all the harvesting

plan was woprking till about 6 pm, had deer working there way out of the trees to the plot,
AND!
THEN
the workers decied to start picking and dumping rocks 150 yrds from me

deer ran back into the timber

sat till dark watching them pick/dump rocks!!

should have not hunted tonight!

was still 66 degrees when i quit

and thank God for thermacells!
a must have at my place in this heat!

blackbeard
10-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Tues PM Report- Hunted just 125 behind my house at a spot that is easy to get to and involves no climbing hills due to the heat. Was 73 deg at 5:15 when I got on stand, mosquitoes were bad, and the 7 MPH SE wind didn't pan out either, mainly still conditions all night. At 7:15 I heard crunch, crunch, crunch and here came a deer on the road below me, no idea what it was, too dark. It ate some acorns then headed onto my property. That was it, should have stayed home as well, thankfully the cool weather is coming, but it felt good to be in a tree, even though the neighbors decided to cut firewood all evening!

Big_Holla
10-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Glad to hear you're making it down to Ohio......if I'm remembering it right...... things didn't work out for you as far as hunting ohio last season.

Yeah Stonegod last year was a tough one on us financially. It about killed me not being able to make my annual trips to Ohio. So far this year is a different story.

ghunter
10-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Made it out last night but didn't see anything but squirrels and chipmunks all night didn't help there was a dead deer 75 yards from my stand and someone was cutting down trees but it was nice to get out.

NorthFairfield_BuckHunter
10-13-2011, 10:36 AM
I went out second weekend in season. Saw 8 to 10 deer. Couple doe and fawn three buck. One nice shooter but never got within 100 yards of me. Saw two scrub heads sparring in a bean field. Did not go out last weekend because the weather was too hot. Going back out this Saturday and Sunday. Will update with what I see.

mrbb
10-13-2011, 10:48 AM
10/12/11

warm, upper 60's and about 5 pm started to rain! with a good 15 mph wind, making for sideways rain of sorts!

no real hunting today, had to go help the parents out and stay there overnite
BUT I did try going back to a old spot I hunted yrs ago near there house
its a uge public game lands, about 5 miles wide by about 6 miles long over the top 1/2 of a big mountain.
has lots of roads you can drive, so I took drive up to it, and to where i used to hunt at,
parked and went for a small walk with my dog
we walked up on several deer even got to less than 10 tards from a few doe

was cool to see my old areas, as well as the fact they still held deer
had I wanted and had a weapon, I sure could have killed a doe if i wanted!

on the drive in the colors are just awesome now, and seen many deer crossing the dirt road both driving in and out, no bucks though!

mrbb
10-13-2011, 09:05 PM
10/13/11
again no am hunting
made it to the farm at about 3 pm, had several deer out in the food plots already, looked likeit was going to be a good evening!

was 62 degree;s with a light rain going from heavier to a drizzle back and forth
got on stand at 4 pm, with a steady wind of about 10 mph
then about 6 pm it started to blow in all directions,

at 6:15 had a small 6 pointer come out at 15 yrds just below me on a field edge, stood there broadside for like 10 minutes looking into the timber, sure wish a big boy would do that,
then he walked out to feed in the plot, he was out there a few minutes and then i had a doe come running out acting all nuts, with a nice wide 8 on her tail,
she would run, stop, squat and PEE, then run and stop and pee, she pee'd 7 times in less than 10 minutes any where from 5 yrds to 55 yrds from me, and both the 6 and the 8 would walk over and smell where she pee's, then run at her, then she would run, they would feed and then repeat
all in all they did this for about 20 minutes, then she ran off and they both followed, I could have killed them if i wanted

but this 8 is one that is about 130 inches, and just needs one more yr, as he has a tom of potential, he is about 18-19 inches wide, and a great frame
and wasn't easy to pas on, but I made up my mind he is off limits on my place(My fellow hunting buddy's ain't happy but that tuff) he's the only one i told them they cannot shoot
as I have few bucks with rack wider than 16 inches, so hoping he breeds some of his wide racks into my herd if he makes it!

rest of the evening saw nothing, ny deer are still way off there normal patterns due to i think all the water still from the floods!
and was 56 degrees when i quit tonight, so still warm as well!
back out tomorrow~

Bigdau
10-13-2011, 10:18 PM
Love Woodbury and I know it like back of hand. Deer is tough though, turkey much better. It's hunted hard. I like across the road from church along c-4, east side, up trail vear ne. Get up on the flat and some good trails. C-4 has a big section the old maps show as private but actually part of Woodbury, hence a little less pressure. I also like field btwn 1st 2nd Parkin at turkey fed, can sneak thru in btwn the 2 high ridges to get back in. On east side of fed, park btwn north 1st pkg spot were federation sign is and 2nd gate.

blackbeard
10-14-2011, 09:44 AM
Thurs PM Report- Hunted my crabapple stand for the first time, nice evening, 63 deg and SE wind, no mosquitoes, saw one doe at 6:30 heading to a green field to eat, then at 7:15 the skies opened and I got SOAKED making the 1/2 mile walk back to the truck. Man did it rain.

mrbb
10-15-2011, 08:26 PM
10/15/11
no am hunting, 4 pm 60 degree's with a 20-25 mph wind, and gust up to like 40-45 mph, so windy!

got on stand at like 4:30, saw first deer at 5pm, a doe and a fawn, they fed for 10 minutes then back to the timber

then at 5:30 had a small 6 pointer walk past me, then 6:15 had a another 6 ptr walk past followed by my wide 8 ptr, I called off limits as he needs one more yr

they fed for 10 minutes and back to the timber
then had another doe and a button buck come out and feed till dark

over all a slow nite but could have kill all the deerm, they all walked right past me at 10 yards!

was 50 degree;s when i quit and wind was still strong!
No sunday hunting here
so have to wait till Monday to get back out!

treelounger
10-16-2011, 08:02 AM
Made it out for the evening 10/15. Invited a skin head home for dinner. Invitation accepted, antlerless archery tag#1 filled.
I saw 3 deer tonight all at last light (two small bucks and my dinner guest). Windy as all get out but decent deer movement.

blackbeard
10-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Sat AM Report- hunted in an oak grove on my property. Beautiful morning, 60 deg with strong and gusty 15-18 mph SW wind, didn't see a thing. Winds must have been too much for the deer, I thought I'd see something hitting the acorns but I was wrong. My property is void of any scrapes or rubs as of yet. Getting some bucks on camera but not much buck sign.

hunt_ohio_bucks
10-17-2011, 01:10 PM
Went out last night. Was cold, raining with wind gusts around 20 out of the southwest. Hunted in a ground blind on the edge of a bean field. Deer activity was slow until 6:00. Had a button head come out followed by a very large mature doe. She was eyeing up the ground blind but was still feeding across field in front of me. Everytime I made the slightest movement she would stare into the blind. Eventually I was able to get my bow off the hook and prepare to draw. Upon drawing she once again stared at me but I was able to get it all the way back w/o her spooking. She stood broadside at 25 yds and watched the arrow fly into her right behind the shoulder. She went about 75 yds and piled up. I'm always impressed with the hole a 2-blade rage puts in an animal. A great night to hunt and deer in the freezer.......AWESOME!!

bludyarrows
10-17-2011, 01:51 PM
Tuff weather here...real... real windy all weekend (25-35mph with gust over 40)went out this mornin (monday) at 6 was still a stiff breeze blowin got up my tree and settled in by 7. still dark and quite. 8:00 wind is picking up and becoming steady guessing around 10-15mph...seen three deer (big doe with two young) at 8:20 moving very skittishly into the thick cover about 60 yrds from stand. 9:00 noticed the wind switching from w to more s-sw and even gettin stronger gust now..9:15 seen two jetting through the meadow headed for thick cover. Stayed on stand till 10:30 did'nt see anything else so I climbed out. This wind really blows...... The temps are great here highs just making it to 60 lows in the 40's .Wind is gonna hang around till Tuesday then comes a couple days of rain with the wind....gotta love it. I have also not seen one rub or scrap on the two places I've been hunting.

bludyarrows
10-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Well its just after 3 ....can't stand sitting here thinkin bout huntin....I'm goin back in...LOL posst what happens later

hortontoter
10-17-2011, 07:01 PM
Hunted Friday through Sunday. A terrible weekend, lots of time in three different stands and never saw a deer. High winds on every sit except Sunday morning. My deer have vanished. Not a deer on camera in the last 7 days.

mrbb
10-17-2011, 08:56 PM
10/17/11
evening hunt, was 65 degree's with a steady 10-15 mph wind
got on stand at 4:30, didn't see a thing till 6:30, had a small button buck come out with several deer in the woods behind him, but just wouldn't come out into the food plot, they were on edge i think due to the wind
then 5-6 minutes later had a small 6 ptr join the button buck,
he made a small scrape, even pee's in it, then they fed till just about dark, and joined the deer still behind me in the woods about 30-40 yrds back, then they worked there way off to my left into the wind to a different plot, but still didn't go out into it from what i could see in day light!

All my cam's are getting few pic's if any in the daytime, all are at nite and getting very pic's at all
deer movements are so wierd this yr
I have some great food plots and still few deer using them, plus about 20 acres of standing corn, nothing is going hear??

I have even got pic's of some does that I can see ribs like crazy on them, and there is no shortage of feed, so i don't get it!

offtheground
10-17-2011, 11:41 PM
The good old October lull guys. In combination with high winds, hope it changes this Wednesday, lol get to hunt but calling for rain and high winds, same for Thursday! Will be in stand regardless! Things are about to change, we have to be there when it does!

ghunter
10-18-2011, 12:20 AM
Went out tonight for a few hours saw 5 doe about 70 yards out at 615 I just couldn't get then to come closer. I seen 19 on the hour drive home. It was a nice night to sit other then the 15 mph wind the whole time. I only had 2 pictures on the cam since last Tuesday.

ohiohunts
10-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Our October lull has been going since September though. I think we are fighting land owner contamination though as they are changing the landscape for some reason where we hunt at. We are moving into another area for now to see what is going on.

After sitting in the wind Sunday morning blowing around in a tree (25+MPH) for about 3 hours and seeing no dear (big surprise), we went on a walk in the new area we are going to set up in. Seen quite a bit of tracks and worn down trails, even a couple really nice scrapes. We haven't seen much activity though since about early August when we were seeing a ton of bucks on the deer cams and only a few does. Anyone else hearing reports on the doe population being down?

Bigcity
10-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Hunted this weekend in NE Ohio, yes in the gusting wind and rain. Not much rut activity observed, hardly any rubs, no scrapes and very little deer activity. Other posts suggest "October Lull" and I agree. I think the heat from last week plus recent full moon has them moving at night. Historically, activity gets going here around Halloween. I did see some fat squirrels though. Might just hunt them instead until the rut heats up.

mrbb
10-18-2011, 08:52 PM
10/18/11
evening, very warm 67 degree's 5-8 mph winds

got on stand a little late today but was settled in by 5;10 pm
beatiful evening, fall colors and all, sat next to a pond, got to watch several wood ducks feeding and seeming to me playing

saw one squirrel, and that was it
was 58 degrees when i left, and wind about stopped
calling for stormy weather tommorow

should have had deer out tonight but!! thats the way its been lately SLOW!!!

adam
10-18-2011, 09:40 PM
Same around here in northwest ohio, only been able to get out 4 times so far and havent seen a deer from the stand. Windy and rainy friday a day I took off a month ago of course. Decided to scout instead, found a couple good trails, a few rubs and some scrapes. Hunted again sunday night, didnt see a thing again but did find a new fresh scrape line on my way out. Starting to see a lot more sign new scrapes and rubs everywhere but no deer. Where I hunt lots, and lots of corn around hoping there all just in the corn. Time will tell.

bludyarrows
10-18-2011, 10:39 PM
I got back out Monday afternoon wind still honkin 15-20 mph got settled in at 3:45 wind started to lay down around 5. About 5:30 a small 8pnt came in with a jacked up rack. He hung around till two small 10 pointers came in together and and run him off. They were real small racked..looked like brothers(healthy but real young).They were very skittish and milled around for about 20 mins then walked off...looked at clock it was 6 and about 2 mins later a single doe came in. She feed about for 10 mins before giving me a nice 15 yrd quartering away shot and.....WHACK.. I let the air out of her. I got ahold of Great Lakes and after a short 50yrd track we hauled her out. With the threat of rain and temps in the low 50's overnight I took her straight to the butcher. The bad thing is we got no pics, The REAL bad thing is I can't enter her in the challenge...:banghead:LOL... This is a piece of land my buddy owns(Great Lakes) and we see alot of deer here. This is the same spot I hunted in the morning on Monday and didn't see anything close or not running. When the wind calmed down it was like a switch was thrown and they were on the move. Had four deer right in front of me in about an hour. As far as the challenge goes I should put another one down soon as it is also an urban area and we hunt right up to the end of the season...A great place to watch and learn the deers patterns, body language and such....Thanx Kirk...

hortontoter
10-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Congrats on the doe. Glad to hear you saw a few moving.

treelounger
10-19-2011, 07:34 PM
I drove to Middletown,Ny monday morning. I left before light and got there at 11:30ish. I left there at 4:30 pm and got home well after dark. I didn't see a single (live) deer on the way there and only saw one doe on the drive home. The route we took was I80. I can't believe the amount of ground we covered and saw one deer. There were several one the side of the road dead but, man! I was was shocked.

mrbb
10-19-2011, 08:39 PM
10/19/11
evening
weather sucks still very windy and light rain falling sideways doe to the rain!
and still in the mid 60's

got on stand at 5 pm, got settled in, and about 5:15 had a rifle shot ring out VERY close to me
there is no rifle hunting right now
so i climbed down to go see if i can catch the SOB!
as they are either on my farm, or on the bordering land that is also a no hunting property, so there shouldn't be any hunting going on

Made it where i thought the shot came from, and just in time to see a person scrambling away, guess they saw me first
problem was between me and then them was a small creek, about 15+ ft wide, and due to all the rians, about 5 ft deep, so, I wasn't about to swim it to chase him.

But man that pisses me off
I could smell a strong odor of GUTS, so i think he winged a deer,gut shot it!

look as best i could, but didn't see anything!

I am now all sweaty and pissed off, so i decided to just siit on a field edge, with no real hopes of seeing anything, but I am there so, why leave!

I move away from where i was to a small corner, I am moving brush and setting up a spot to sit down, and I look into the woods and see a small 4 ptr bedded down watching me!
dumb luck,
he sat there for about 45 nminutes watching me watching him, and then he got up, and started to walk towards me, guess he was very courious to what I was

he got to about 15 ft from ,me and made a scrape in front of me, then walked away
he wasdown wind of me the whole time,
that was all i saw

still raining when i left and 55 degrees
crapy sit tonight!
tomorrow will be looking for a dead deer wher that jerk shot!

blueflu42
10-19-2011, 10:56 PM
Went out to hunt with my 14 year old brother last Sunday 10-16-11. On the way we saw a small buck cross the highway with his nose to the ground. A mile down the road saw a good size doe crossing the road. Then about 10 minutes later I had a fat doe run out in front of my car and smack its head on the hood of my car at 60 MPH. Parked the car and got out and saw the doe laying in the middle of the road flopping like a fish out of water. Got my pistol out of my car to put her out of her misery, started toward her and she jumped up on her legs and ran into the woods as if nothing was wrong. This was at 0615.

Get in the woods about 0700 and get comfortable. Saw a few doe playing about 50 yards from my stand near a corn field. My brother was sitting about 100 yards or so from me. At around 0830 I hear his crossbow go off. He called me and said that a huge 8 point had just ducked his arrow at 30 yards. Terrible day for me, and my brother. But a whole bunch of movement that day.

jmpirri
10-19-2011, 11:20 PM
Take note that he says 0830 and not 830. that 0 before the 8 means AM, or I would think so anyhow. Sounds like military time telling if you ask me. 830 pm would be 2030 to blueflu42.

rckt40
10-20-2011, 10:11 AM
Had a small 4 point push a group of 5 does around in a bean field last night for about an hour. Nose to the ground, trying like crazy to get his you know what wet. Pre-rut may be just around the corner :-).

10-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Weekend Hunt report. Hunted last saturday 15th.

AM had a WSW wind so I walked to the NE side of my woods to slip in around 7 AM. As I was walking I noticed something in the bean field to the north but could not tell if it was a deer or not due to not enough light. So instead of walking into the woods and getting in my stand I kneeled down in the tree line to wait on daylight. About ten minutes later I could see it was a doe about 60 yards away. She had me but could not figure out what i was. She snort weezed and stomped for about 10 minutes until a fawn and another doe came out. When she looked away i snort weezed back at her. All three of them got to within 40 yards when another group of deer started snort weezing at these deer in front of me. This ran them off. As i stood up there were 4 deer about 20 yards from me. Two doe, a fawn, and an 8 point buck. I knelt back down and the doe walked within 25 yards of me. As I put my scope on her she winded me and ran off. This all went on before i could even get to my stand so it was kind of exciting. Wish i would have shot the doe that was at 25 yards but she was walking in the direction that was going to give me a broad side shot and i figured she would keep walking. Oh well it was fun.

10-20-2011, 11:50 AM
PM hunt last saturday the 15th

Walked into the woods on the north east side. Wind was straight out of the west at about 25 mph. Got into my stand at 4 PM. The only thing i saw was three doe walk about 40 yards to my south but they were on the move. I did not have a good shot on them and hoped they were moving that fast because a buck had bumped them from where they were but iI didnt see anything else. At 645 i could hear deer crossing a creek through the woods but never got a look because there were still too many leaves. I am seeing deer moving which is a good sign. Starting to see Buck by themselves tailing females. Rut is around the corner.

Split_G2
10-20-2011, 01:32 PM
Bucks were on the move this morning.

bowhunter101
10-20-2011, 03:41 PM
first scrape i seen was last week 20 yds away from my stand from wayne county ohio

mrbb
10-20-2011, 09:22 PM
10/20/11 evening hunt
50 degree's heavy winds, up to about 30+ mph, and steady 10-12 mph winds

started off very overcast, then as soon as i got on stand, rian1 AGAIN, rain

I have had enough of it already

and these wind???

any way got on stand at 3:30 pm thinking with the temp drop maybe deer would be moving
WRONG, didn't see a deer, saw 10 hen turkeys and a squirrel
42 degrees when I left
hope its better tomorrow, this is my worst yr I can ever remember for deer movement here!

mrbb
10-21-2011, 07:57 PM
10/21/11
evening hunt
weather good, or at least better than its been
was 50 degrees going in, heavy overcast with a 5-7 mph wind steady
got on stand early by 3 pm
not long after I sat down I had my first rifle shot go off! sounded like just off my place, heard a total of 6 rifle shots tonight!

had deer movement by 4 pm, had a few doe and yearlyings hit my food plots and then into the corn
they only fed about 20 minutes and then went back into the timber
not sure why deer have been doing this a lot lately just don't seem to want to be in the food long!

had steady deer coming out to feed in my plots, all doe and yearlyings
till 6 pm,
then i had a shooter come right to me
had plenty of time to size him, decide if I wanted him or not,
to get ready and all

had him at exactly 20 yards standing slightly quartering away, perfect
had X bow resting on my treestand side rails
rock steady

fired and complete miss, about a foot high??????

he took 3 leaps and then walked away

I waited 10 minutes then climbed down to get my arrow, and decided to leave, as something is wrong!!

got back to the truck, dug out the target, and a few practice shots at 20 yards, and I am NOW hitting 18 inches high at 20 yards so something is way off!!!
I have no idea what is wrong, was dead on a few days ago!!
I am pissed
but at least it was a clean miss! so another chance maybe!

was 46 degrees when I left at 7 pm tonight, so weather is atleast better, no am hunting till I figure out whats wrong with my X bow! hope is something simple! BUT, to go from dead on to so far off, something is sure wrong!

I did manage to get a pic of the buck last nite on my trail cam
so here is the buck, and the second pic is a buck that I have now passed on about 5 times they seem to run together

the one I missed, big for my area but no monster!!

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/mrbb1/014-4.jpg

and the one I keep passing on praying he makes it till next yr!
http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z457/mrbb1/008-6.jpg

tony
10-21-2011, 10:17 PM
MRBB that sucks, sounds like something that would happen to me. Your right that is def. a shooter for up there. I went to high school in Ripley.

tony
10-21-2011, 10:26 PM
Went out this AM and PM, seems like things are still slow for me. Seen a few doe and a small 8pt this morning, and 2 diferent trios of doe and another small buck this evening with about 20 minutes of light left.

I did see 2 new scapes opened up this morning though!!! So its only going to get better from here!!:drool5:

rirruto8
10-21-2011, 11:28 PM
Went out this evening in Jefferson. 45 degrees with perfect wind. Had a small 6 walk by at 25 yards around 5:45pm and at 6:10pm a small 4 came within 10 yards and hung around that range until after dark.

mrbb
10-22-2011, 01:43 PM
fixed my x bow , the stupid scope adjustment on the bow some how moved from postion #1 to position #4, and thus had me 18 inches high at 20 yrds makeing for the clean miss last nite

this is a crappy set up, as there is no reason for the mount tobe able to move, thats what the scope adjustments are for

going to put silicone arround it tonight after I hunt, as no hunting on Sunday will allow for a good cure, and some time to air out!

but its dead on now again!

Stonegod
10-22-2011, 02:58 PM
What kind of xbow are you shooting mrbb??

buckingj
10-22-2011, 04:54 PM
been out since 3 all is quiet here in richmond

ernie
10-22-2011, 06:54 PM
My boys in noble co aren't seeing much activity in the day time. New rubs and sign popping up, but it seems we're still about a week away...

Myst3rium
10-22-2011, 07:27 PM
I've seen about 6 rubs and 4 scrapes that I know weren't there last week. This is over in Vinton county. Wilkesville.

buckingj
10-22-2011, 07:48 PM
had some action about 100 yards from me a bunch of branches breaking and leaves being kicked up then saw a deer run off out of the thickets didnt see horns but 5 mins later another big body deer walk out on the same trail. then at dark had a solo deer come by movement started around 5:45

mrbb
10-22-2011, 09:04 PM
10/22/11
Ok fix the x bow

got out this evening at 3 pm, winds at about 7-10 mph, so windy again, but cooler, was 52 degrees going in and 46 coming out

didn't see a deer till 5;45, had a doe and a yearling come past me, hit my food plot then go into the corn for 15 minutes then back to the timber

6;10 had a another doe, and a button buck this time, walk past me, hit the food plot, and then disapear into the corn till i left

I had a nice 8 pointer( the one i keep passing on, he is testing me for sure this yr, hope so much he makes it till next yr)
walk past me at last light with a nice 6 pointer

I had 6 rifle shots , 3 in arow very close to me, almost climbed down to go after them, but figured they were very close to the border, and was all settled i my stand,
looking back now, as how the nite went, i wish I would have tried to catch them!!
I hate trespassers, and thoe illegally hunting my borders!!
as soon as i kill my buck, I am going trespasser hunting the rest of the season!!

blackbeard
10-22-2011, 09:10 PM
10/15/11- Hunted in an oak grove in the evening, never saw anything.

10/21/11- Hunted a fence corner in the evening. Saw one 6-8 pt at 7:00 PM, he ate some acorns and then made a scrape under a pine tree.

10/22/11- Hunted an oak grove on my property. Exciting morning. Beginning at 8:00 AM I never sat down again until I left at 10:30 AM. Deer movement every 15 minutes. At 8:00 AM a mature doe and fawn came out of a clearcut and ate acorns near my stand. The mature doe got nosy and spooky, circled my tree, and I finally got a shot at her but hit a small twig and it flew right under her belly. Right when I shot at 8:30 AM three does came running through the woods and apast me. The first mature doe's fawn hung around and at 8:40 AM I killed her at 18 yds. She went about 50 yds and that was it. At 8:45 AM a mature doe and two fawns came apast me. At 9:00 AM a mature doe and triplets came right under me and headed in the direction that the 8:45 does went. Then at 9:15 AM all seven does came running back under my stand, then they went back to where they came. At 9:35 AM a decent 6-8 pt came under my stand, ate acorns, then made a scrape. Finally at 10:30 I was able to climb down and drag the doe away. Great weather and great morning. A buddy of mine saw two nice bucks this morning, one chasing a doe.

noidurism
10-23-2011, 07:07 AM
10/22/11
Ok fix the x bow

got out this evening at 3 pm, winds at about 7-10 mph, so windy again, but cooler, was 52 degrees going in and 46 coming out

didn't see a deer till 5;45, had a doe and a yearling come past me, hit my food plot then go into the corn for 15 minutes then back to the timber

6;10 had a another doe, and a button buck this time, walk past me, hit the food plot, and then disapear into the corn till i left

I had a nice 8 pointer( the one i keep passing on, he is testing me for sure this yr, hope so much he makes it till next yr)
walk past me at last light with a nice 6 pointer

I had 6 rifle shots , 3 in arow very close to me, almost climbed down to go after them, but figured they were very close to the border, and was all settled i my stand,
looking back now, as how the nite went, i wish I would have tried to catch them!!
I hate trespassers, and thoe illegally hunting my borders!!
as soon as i kill my buck, I am going trespasser hunting the rest of the season!! if it were me, i wouldn't wait to go after those trespassers. they probably have better odds of getting a buck your after since they are using rifles. i know its a tuff call, but i'd rather temporarily ruin my spot or even maybe ruining my spot just to try and catch them. the less you do about it the more they will come back and the more opportunitys they will have at your nicer buck(s). i don't tresspass either and hate it, but in this situation i feel its justified to do so since your trying to catch them and not hunting deer. i wish you the best on getting your buck and catching those tresspassers!

whodey1966
10-23-2011, 10:03 AM
First time out, nice evening, partly cloudy, light breeze. Got into my stand @ 4:30, Didn't see anything till around six, I had two does with a button buck stand under my stand for over 20 minutes, the two does kept trying to figure out what I was, did the head bob and foot stomp thing several time and finally just walked off. That was it. Back out again about mid week. The best hunting it as about to be upon us!!

whodey1966
10-23-2011, 10:04 AM
First time out, nice evening, partly cloudy, light breeze. Got into my stand @ 4:30, Didn't see anything till around six, I had two does with a button buck stand under my stand for over 20 minutes, the two does kept trying to figure out what I was, did the head bob and foot stomp thing several time and finally just walked off. That was it. Back out again about mid week. The best hunting is about to be upon us!! Good Luck and be safe everyone!!

buckingj
10-23-2011, 01:03 PM
was out this morning had alot of movement before light. had one doe come running through as if something was chasing her shortly behind her was another doe. no bucks and alot of turkeys. time to get back out. has anyone tried rattling or grunting yet this year

blackbeard
10-24-2011, 09:15 PM
Monday evening report- sat my crabapple staging area stand, had a mature doe and two fawns come underneath me at 6:00 and that was it. I'm done with does so I let them live another day. Cows came under my stand just before dark so that pretty much ended the hunt. Nice evening, scrapes are appearing everywhere now, seems to have started this past weekend.

mrbb
10-24-2011, 09:33 PM
10/24/11
evening hunt
weather at 55 degree's winds at about 10 mph, and light rian falling

got on stand at 4:45 pm
saw first deer at 6:05 pm, a doe and a yearlying button buck, fed past me, and into the food plot, and stayed there till just about dark, and went back into the timber
at just before dark, had the same wide 8 ptr walk past me, I have been passing on, and a scond buck a few minutes later but too dark to tell what or exactly how big, but had some good size from what i seen, so not a small scrub buck, but how big??

was down to a drizzle and still 56 degrees when i quit

slow nite!
no scrapes yet really either , but should start up soon I hope need more movement, boring on stand when its so slow!

blackbeard
10-25-2011, 08:01 PM
10/25/11- evening. Hunted a stand for the first time which overlooks a pipeline which comes onto my property. Kinda warm with the sun shining brightly at the beginning but the last hour of the hunt was very nice with little or no mosquitoes. Never saw or heard a single deer. And believe me if there had been a deer within 100 yards of me I would have heard him, it was NOISY out this evening. The squirrels sounded like buffalo.

mrbb
10-25-2011, 09:43 PM
10/25/11
evening hunt, was 60 degree's going in winds at about 10-15 mph, sunny
got on stand at 4pm
saw first deer at 6:05 a doe walking on a field edge about 300 yrss out there
then at 6;15 had a doe and a yearling, and then another doe and yearling show up in front of me, eating in the plot
they fed for about 5 minutes, then a nice 8 pointer came out, stared at them for a little bit, then stretched out his neck as far as he could, turned it sideways, and let out a HUGE grunt, and then broke out into a run at the biggest doe, she took off, out ran him, and then they both started eating in the food plot, she then stopped, and took a pee
he sw that , and charge right over and burried his nose in the spot she went
then ran at her again, again she out ran him, and they then just fed till dark

this 8 is a border line 130" class deer, I have now passed on so many times this yr, he is testing me for sure, as 120" deer are far and few in my area, but he has such potential, I am so hoping , he makes it till next yr!! and me letting him go isn't for nothing!

ohiowhitetails
10-26-2011, 09:40 AM
Hunted a transition area between a bean field and a cornfield. Saw one doe, and rattled in a little basket seven. He came running out of the corn. He hung around until he realized there wasnt a fight going on and took off. Presented several shots, but just too young. Awesome encounter though

mrbb
10-26-2011, 08:55 PM
10/26/11 evening hunt
was 64 degree's heavy o0vercast felt like rain any minute, but none came
winds were about 7-10 at first then about zero for last half hr.

got on stand at 3 :30 pm, didn't see a deer till about 6 pm, a small 3 ptr, worked his way across the new winterwheat field to mt standing corn, then lost him as he went in

at 6;15 had 3 big doe work there way to me, and they were on high elert, they jumped and ducked at every thing as they came in , not sure what had them so on edge, as they paid no attention to me at all, just seemed scared in general, with all that ducking and side stepping and acting off

the got into my food plot, and then I had a shooter buck(one I mieesed a few days ago) come past me at 40 yards, waited for him to get closer and offer a better angle and distance, but he took a turn and went out into the food plot below me.
saw them doe, and chased them off the food plot away from me
he never seemed to knwo i was there, so, maybe tomorrow!

was still 56 dgrees when i left so its warm, and calling for heavy rains tomorow, so i hope not!

junizamel
10-26-2011, 09:49 PM
775977607761 Happy to join the thread have been a guest for 2 years now. lol. Have only been out hunting a few times this year. I am hunting about 65 acres in Wayne county. Just recently noticed scrapes and rubs. It seems like the deer here are nocturnal. Any idea on his size?

Split_G2
10-27-2011, 08:40 AM
IF YOU LVE IN SE OHIO, you will not find a better time to go hunt scrapes than today. Get onstand tho before this rain stops

mrbb
10-27-2011, 07:37 PM
Ok had plans to huntthe rain, but,like it happens plans change

got to the farm today 10/27/11, for the evening, but found a BIG tree that fell down and in the way, so, had to chop it up and mopve it, by then all sweated up so decided to pass on a hunt

was 56 degree's and med to heavy rains when i got there, by dark it was down to a drizzle, and wet SNOW mix!

YES , SNOW!!!

left the farm, was 34 on the trucks outside tepm

by the time i got to my place(750+ ft in elevation) it was snowing pretty good, and 31 degree's

thats more like it, tomorrow should be a great day!! if it stays cold like this, as the rain is suposed to stop tonight(and snow) and just be cold

winds are heavy right now, a good 15+ mph and 20-30 mph burst's
hope they die down some!!

adarandy
10-27-2011, 07:38 PM
Didn't get a chance t hunt tonight as I had to get my quad out of the shop and I didn't get home till after 6pm, but noticed a small 6 point buck heading across a cut bean field, nose down and heading at a pretty good rate. 1st time on here as I just joined today and just wanted to thank everyone for the updates. Thanks again.

junizamel
10-27-2011, 10:04 PM
Went out today at about 5pm after the rain. Didn't see a thing but heard a lot in the corn and couldn't pull them out. I got back to the house at 7:15pm. Went on the back porch to make a call at 9pm and heard two bucks just going at it. They were rattling for at least 10-15 minutes. Best of luck and stay safe...

rirruto8
10-27-2011, 11:24 PM
went out this evening with 40 degree weather. Rain stopped around 5 pm and didnt see a thing until I was leaving. Saw a small 6 point. Driving to my place to hunt I did see 4 doe in a field around 3:45p

RaiderXCChamp
10-28-2011, 12:04 AM
Went out today around 5pm after the rain stopped and a cold front moved in. Didn't see anything until about 5:45pm. A monster 10 point was eating in a bean field right across from where I live which is about a 1/4 mile from where I was actually hunting. He bedded down in the middle of the field and never seen him again. Then at 6pm I seen another 10 pointer. Not as nice as the other but still a big ol boy. He was at another woods right across the field from me and was walking the border of the words making his scrapes. Once I realized he wasn't going to walk the ditch to me and go to a different woods I gave rattling a shot. He stopped and looked my way for a while and finally decided to change course and head over. He walked along the ditch and went right to my mock scrape and tore the limb all up. Didn't have a great shot so I just watched him for a while and waited for him to check the other scrape out which led him right in front of me and nailed him. Didn't make it 50 yards. Anyway, I've been watching this thread for a while now but haven't seen anything until tonight so I thought I would pass this along. Never seen a doe but the bucks were definitely moving tonight. Good Luck everyone.

whodey1966
10-28-2011, 08:47 AM
Hunted last eve, seen three does in a bean field as I was walking to my stand, got on stand at 4:30, Hunted till around 6;15, when the skies opened up and it poured!! I headed to the house, No other deer seen!! Back at it this eve.

mrbb
10-28-2011, 08:58 PM
10/28/11
evening hunt
weather finnaly got better
was 44 degree's going in and dropping
had some issue's and couldn't get on stand till 5, saw first derer at 5;15
a small button buck, he normally came in with mom, but she never showed, so?? on what where she was tonight, maybe got a boyfriend

next deer came in at 6:15, a single med doe, and then two more

had a small 6 point buck show up smell the doe all up and down

then
GOT to love this
I hear a cell phone ringing about 100+ yrds below me
Like come on its crunch time, and I have some jackass trespassing and ruining my evening

wanted to climb down and see if i could catch the SOB, but stuck it out
saw nothing else

now i am pissed i should have tried to catch the guy
as i was 300+ yrds from my property linbe, and I know he was closer, so he had to be on my lands

I hate trespassers
i cannot wait till i kill my buck, so i can hunt them
the paint ball gun will be out after i tag out
and I hope its cold, so I can freeze the paintballs!
they sting a lot more!

blackbeard
10-28-2011, 09:05 PM
10/27/11 Evening- Hunted on the ground at a field corner where I've been seeing loads of does and rumor is there's a buck hanging around as well. Nice evening, cool, NW wind, damp and quiet, never saw a thing.

10/28/11 Evening- Hunted one of my rut stands for the first time. The stand is between two thickets where a ditch and fence/treeline meet. Light rain all evening with an E wind. Never saw a thing. There were two beagles running a rabbit about 100-200 yards from me in the thicket and a neighbor across the road decided to target practice all night with a pistol, but still surprised I didn't see anything.

That makes three evening hunts in a row this week where I didn't see a thing. Thank god I'm hunting a morning tomorrow. Seems like it may be the calm before the storm (chasing, rutting) around here. Halloween is Monday and I love hunting on Halloween.

whodey1966
10-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Friday Eve report.
Got on stand around 4, temp around 45, partly cloudy, light breeze, I figured deer would be on the move, I figured wrong! I seen One deer at dusk, not even sure what it was. Going to take a few nights off and get back out there on Halloween eve, I agree with BB, this has been a great day in the past for me to hunt!

lunngman
10-29-2011, 10:20 AM
7774I hunt a trac of land inside the city limits. ( 5 min and i'm in my stand ) Basically, right out my back door.
Been watching 2 does for 3 wks now, finally got a pic of a small buck in the area. Gonna let him walk this year, cause i've spotted one other buck, that is much larger. ( big thick neck, narly looking rack,,a shooter ) No pics of him though.
Just thought i'd share a few pics and let others know,,ya don't have to go far, to bag a buck.
Try and get permission to hunt some suburban property. ( you will be surprised at the # of quality deer, right out your back door )

NE OHIO
STARK CO

mrbb
10-29-2011, 12:38 PM
10/29/11
AM hunt info

was snowing like mad at my house, about 1-2 inches on the ground, and 31 degree's
headed to the farm, got there at 5:45 am, but only raining there with some snow mixed it, and 34 degrees an little to no wind

walking into my stand i would have swore I was invisable
I ltterly walked past 4 different doe bedded down, at less than 10-12 feet, and they didn't even look at me, like i wasn't there, I also had two small deer walk right to me, i could pet them they were that close

son't know what to say about that but it was cool!

saw one small button buck at 8:30, and that was it, sat till 10am, had things to do, and was plenty wet by then anyways

did find several Fresh scrapes on the way out

be back out tonight, as I have 6-7 inches of snow right now at my place, and about 1-2 inches at the farm, but calling for up to a foot,at my house and maybe 6-7 at the farm
amazing how just a couple hunderd feet in elevation makes such a big difference

blackbeard
10-29-2011, 09:16 PM
10/29/11- Morning. Hunted an oak grove on my property again. Beautiful morning, hard frost with stiff west wind, acorns were falling and squirrels were hard at it all morning. Never saw a thing until 10:30 when a dog jumped a mature buck up about 200 yards from me. The buck stood around for a while then went to the neighbor's property. Looked like a shooter.

10/29/11- Evening. MWSports24 stopped by for an evening hunt. We both setup high on a ridge after a half mile walk, me about 100 yards up the ridge from him, and him overlooking a tractor road and deer path. I didn't see anything until 6:45 when a 4pt came in and ate some honeysuckle, made two scrapes and left. Then right after I climbed down and took three steps a mature buck was coming and I saw he had a fairly good rack in the moon light, not good, but at least it was dark, I didn't have a light on, and he didn't wind me. MWSports24 killed a doe about 30 minutes after climbing up the tree. Hit her perfectly and she only went 20 yards. It was a long drag to the truck but all downhill thankfully. He didn't waste any time taking care of business. (Big Holla- you put your friends in good spots not broken stands in garholes!)

On a side note, when we were driving to hunt, about 400 yards up the road, in a mowed, green alfalfa hay field, at 3:45 in the sun, was a mature buck tending a doe. There was another younger doe with her and the mature buck was guarding her from a smaller buck. All this happening about 150 yards from the road. I saw the farmer and he said they'd been there since the morning! Some does are coming in, things are getting good.

adarandy
10-29-2011, 09:49 PM
Out this evening and didn't see a thing, thought it was going to be a good night as there was some rain this afternoon and the leaves were quiet. Saw 2 scrapes and the first rub of the year when I was back around noon time cutting some wood. Hopefully tomorrow will be the day.

mrbb
10-29-2011, 11:00 PM
Ok evening hunt info 10/29/11
snowy

had 14 inches of snow fall today
was 30 degree's when I went in, and wind???
blowing in every direction, like for 5 minutes going west, then n orth, then south then east,, then blowing in a circular way, nuts!

tried to get on stand sooner, but things kept me from getting in till 4 pm

snowing like white out conditions, visability was about 100 yards at best, and at times down to about 10 yards

so many trees have leaves still on, and this wet snow was sticking to them like glue, bening and bowing so many
most of my lanes were now closed due to it, and all evening i could hear tree's breaking, some big one's too!~

I set up on a corn field plot i have, normally i can se 300 yards down one side and about 500 on the other, but few deer come from that direction

Well tonigh, the only deer i ssw, a shooter for sure came in from the place i didn't expect to have anything come, and I had a 140+ class deer, walk in on me in a blibs spot, I had a big tree fall just behind me, i turned to look at the same time he walked around a corner, and Busted me as i was turning my head back, and I was turning slow too, sharp eyes he had

he bolted into the corn, then came out 100 yrds away,and went backing the timber

only deer i saw

thought with the cold and snow for sure more would have been up and hitting the corn
have to wait now till Monday, as no sunday hunting, and this snow will not last till then, crap, wish i could hunt tomorrow, sure by then they will be hitting the corn hard with so much snow on the ground!!

mrbb
10-29-2011, 11:08 PM
forgot to add, this morning when i was leaving, about a 1/4 mile down the orad one of my 8 pointers was laying dead on the side of the road with several cars stopped , probably going to take the rack, its what most guys up here do, they just cut them off before anyone can stop them

so one of my good bucks is dead for sure!
that sucks, as 120'' class bucks are rare, and to die from a car and no one taking him,

he ws plowed off the road this evening, rack was gone
saw him up on the back off the road in the snow!

Big_Holla
10-29-2011, 11:09 PM
(Big Holla- you put your friends in good spots not broken stands in garholes!)

Uhm...yeah....well......key word is 'friends' LOL!! Yeah I guess I will never live that one down! But just remember, the GAR hole name didn't originate from me!!

whodey1966
10-30-2011, 07:32 AM
Saturday eve from my back bedroom report.
I didn't make it to my stand, but around 6:45 looked out in the bean field behind my house and saw a shooter buck chasing a doe, she wasn't ready to be bread yet but he was nosing her. I got my bow and he got to as close as 50 yards, I thought maybe i could get him closer for a shot out my bedroom window, but he never came closer, He just left the doe and walked away. This week should be a great week for hunting!!

noidurism
10-30-2011, 02:55 PM
finally i was able to go out this morning (after being over a week) to my spot at 6 and heard 3 or 4 walk by but was a little to dark to see them. only about 15 min. later and it would have been light enough.......still loved it!.... it's great being oudoors hunting those whitetail!

treelounger
10-30-2011, 08:33 PM
I had a pretty good weekend of hunting. 3 of my friends and I went to Wayne nat. forest in Washinton county. First time ever really hunting the hills.WOW! thats a whole new ball game. We got down there thurs. mid day setup camp and headed for the woods. Drizzle rain all night didn't see anything. Fri. morn went to a different spot n saw 5. One of the does ventured a little too close, gave me a perfect 20 yrd. shot. Shes in the freezer. (on a side note getting a deer out of the bottom SUCKS!) Went back to camp called her in (odnr) quartered and in the cooler. Fri. eve didn't see a deer till 6:15 it was a buck cruising on the shelf bellow me. Grunted a few times and it was on, he started up the hill and made 2 scrapes on his way up the hill. Came into 43 yds. but wouldn't turn to give me a shot. He stood there for a min. or so saw there was no deer where he had heard a deer and didn't hang around too long to figure out why. He was around a 140" 8pt. I had a few more skin heads come in that eve. but didn't feel the need to be hogish and really didn't feel like carrying another deer out of that bottom.(unless it was a whopper) Sat. morn I moved down to the shelf where the buck was traveling and again a few skinheads came in but no Mr. big. All in all a great 3 day hunt(for me) as I was the only one out of the group to draw blood. But we all had fun.

preble county
10-31-2011, 08:06 AM
Hunted the morning on 10-30-11, Great cool morning with lots of frost on the ground, Saw 7 does, 3 of them were chased off by a small 6 point. The chase is just starting to happen here in preble county.. Good luck everybody this is what we wiat for all year!

blackbeard
10-31-2011, 11:43 PM
10/30/11- Evening. Hunted in the back of my property where a dozer road comes out of a clearcut and enters an overgrown field. Beautiful evening, very quiet. Squirrels were going bonkers all evening. Never saw a single deer. Heard some coyotes running through the clearcut at dark and that was it.

10/31/11- Hunted one of my rut stands for first time. It sits at the intersection of a ditchline and tree/fenceline between two thickets. Light rain started about 8:00 and lasted a 1/2 hour. Right when the rain quit here came a decent buck working his way right down the treeline toward me. He came right under me and stopped, and I had my bow in hand, but he was too small. He had 10 points but no mass and wasn't even ear width so I let him walk. On the walk out I spooked a deer because I stepped on a large stick, but it didn't smell me so hopefully I'm fine. Then I got in the truck and pulled out of the driveway and a nicer buck crossed the road right in front of me heading down in to where my stand was. Things are definitely heating up. In the last three days I've saw 5 bucks and NO does. I think the does know it's about time to get harassed so they are finding their favorite hiding spots. Good luck to all.

whodey1966
11-01-2011, 11:21 AM
10-31 Monday eve hunt
Got on stand at 4:30, saw my first deer a nice size button buck at 4:45, He stood under my stand for a few minutes and then went and fed in the bean field behind me, around a half hour later I had a 3 pointer sneak in behind me and then took off, looked out across the bean field and spotted a shooter buck, nice 8 working his way towards me about 100 yards away, something spooked him and he took off. Then around 6:15 a very nice around 140 10 pointer slipped thru the brush and got to around 60 yards, and started making a scrape. I gently ticked my antlers at him, he threw his head up and stared at my direction for 5 minutes, but never could get him closer. On the walk out from my stand I jumped 2 does, best evening out of my 5 hunts so far! Going to be warm all week but still going to hunt. Bucks are really on the move now.

Bigcity
11-01-2011, 12:41 PM
10/31, 4:00pm to 6:30pm. Saw my first buck this year since placing stands in late August. Small 6-pointer was in the vicinity of a couple of doe. They didn't act like they were interested in him so they fed 20-30 yards away not really caring about him or me walking to the stand. Also found my first "big" scrape of the year. Looks like things are starting to pick up. Headed out again tonight. Friends all are starting to see bucks before dark this past week so it's looking good. Good luck everyone!

mneal
11-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Headed out again this afternoon..had an unbelievable weekend! Had a split brow 11 within 10 yds. of my stand on Saturday morning (10-29) that came in to a bleat can right at 10:00 in the morning. Walked directly at me... no shot except dead on until he spooked and ran off. Back out Sunday evening (10-30) and saw 14 does. Two as I walked in at 4:00 P.M. Then a group of six was under me for about 10 minutes... Had the largest doe standing in exactly same spot as buck the previous day.. broadside... let them pass. Five more does came by about 30 minutes later followed by a decent 8 point. Would have shot the eight if I had not seen the 11 earlier in the morning.

buckingj
11-01-2011, 03:27 PM
been out for the last 10 days as i am in a tree now. 4 days ago started seeing bucks move as early as 3i pm. had 2 bucks fighting on sunday and a third came and ran them off they were 200 yards down the field.

buckingj
11-01-2011, 03:44 PM
just had 2 yearlings come by monday night left early had a bunch of coyotes going crazy by me freaked me out being halloween. now lets hope the big boy comes out.has anyone used ever calm trying it todays

ernie
11-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Small bucks are on the move in noble co. Saw 10 small bucks today between two,three guys...even saw a doe run a fawn off. Looks like business is picking up!

taylor6400
11-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Tonight was the first night I didn't see a deer all evening. Curious to hear about everyone esles evening.

buckbuster217
11-01-2011, 07:43 PM
set most of the evening before seeing my first deer, hit the estrus doe can and acouple of grunts and almost immediately had a really nice 8 point come charging in looking for a fight I'm sure, had him at 32 yards but he never gave me shot oppurtunity, right before dark had 2 does come through and that was it

preble county
11-01-2011, 08:13 PM
Went out tonight after work, I had 4 does 25yrds from me for about 10min. No bucks tonight..

blackbeard
11-01-2011, 08:35 PM
11/01/11- Hunted my best rut stand, called the Thicket Stand, didn't see anything until 9:45 when two does came through and under stand. They were then intercepted by a 4-pt that growled or aggressively grunted at them and run them away. Soon after that I was doing some aggressive grunting myself and called in a 6-8 pt which walked under stand. Beautiful morning, heavy frost, south wind. Top 5 morning for sure.

bflem55
11-01-2011, 09:06 PM
11/01/2011 Evening Hunt

I have been out 8 times now by far the best night I just bought a new climber and went out hung it at 1 and got in my stand at around 345. I tried a different strategy instead of crashing through the woods I waded all the way down the creek, no scent to leave behind and hardly any noise. Anyways jumped a doe hanging my stand. Around 4:00 saw a buck unknown size rubbing the heck out of a tree. I was hearing deer a lot in there bedding, but only saw 5 does come out of there until 645 a new BUCK and yes his name is Godzilla a massive 12 point. He was about 80 yards out tried grunting him in he looked at me like really dude I am old I know the game here I am not moving. So I will be back out in the morning for the first time this season.

mrbb
11-01-2011, 10:02 PM
10/31/11
ok evening hunt, got on stand at 3:30 pm, temp was at 39 degree's and falling winds about 10-105 mph, but steady
saw first deer at 4;30 a small button buck
didn't see any thing but squirrelt till 6;15, had a 12 inch wide 8 ptr walk past me, and that was it! SLOW nite
was 33 when I left

11/01/11
evening hunt, was 49 degrees, and falling winds about 5-7 mph and off and on it seemed
got in the tre at 4 pm, winds slowy stopped by about 5;45,
at 6;10 had a big coyote walk about the food plot by me, looking for field mice till dark,
NO deer

was 35 degree's when i left
BUT by the house in the headlight as I was leaving had a big buck follwing a doe

bUt again, a slow nite on stand, and no real real for it, I have great food plots and low pressure on the property, and high deer numbers yet no daylight activety!!

noidurism
11-02-2011, 07:24 AM
went out yesterday at 2pm and sat til dark. didn't see anything but squirrels! weird year for me on the property i hunt cause i've hardly seen any deer this season and i usually always see deer about every time i've went out in the past seasons.......starting a new job tonight...3rd shift setting dies......hunting will be really limited now,but thats ok cause everyone needs $$$...lol!

neo55
11-02-2011, 08:15 AM
same here with the squirrels... first 3 weeks lots of does and small bucks... 2 does in the freezer... this last week very quiet... took a small snack though at 25 yards....

whodey1966
11-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Tuesday eve hunt
temp low 60s when I got on stand at 4:30. too warm for me but I hunted anyways, I set till dark seen one doe, that was it, bummer of a eve!! The weather looks mild here for the next 7 days, really bummed about that since I only hunt evenings.

blackbeard
11-02-2011, 07:44 PM
11/02/11- Morning. Hunted one of my rut stands between two thickets. Absolutely gorgeous morning. Spooked a deer getting in at dark. Sat until 10:30 never saw anything. Walking out a doe was being chased by something and almost ran over me. here was a deer blowing at me, must have been whatever was chasing it. I have no idea where the does have went. If I see any deer at all it is usually small bucks.

11/02/11- Evening. Hunted where two dozer roads intercept and lead to some oaks. Warm evening. Never saw a thing. If there had been a deer within 150 yards of me I would have heard it too due to the noisy leaves. Another evening and no deer. Since Oct 24 I've hunted 11 times and not seen deer five times. Pretty crappy 10 day stretch. I sure hope things pickup around here soon.

ernie
11-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Black beard.. We are getting a lot of the same reports. Hit and miss for sure. Should be observing more chasing, cruising activity by now I would think

bflem55
11-02-2011, 08:13 PM
same here hardly any does small bucks with just 1 mature sighting. I dont get it and the crappy thing is the 10 day outlook has rain all next week....

mrbb
11-02-2011, 08:29 PM
11/02/11
evening hunt, was 57 degrees going in warm, winds about 5-10 amd switching directions at will it seems!

wasn't all that confinedt going in i would see any thing

got on stand at 4 pm, then winds were just wrong, and decided to move at 5, got in new stand, and saw first deer movement at 5;10, too far and too much cover to ID bock/doe??
then right at about 30 minutes before last light, it was like a switch was lifted,
deer were coming from all directions, I had two shooter bucks 50 yrsd down wind of me, kept thinking I was going to get busted, but they never cared i was there
they stayed at 50-60 yrds till dark, sparing making rubs and scrape's
then when too dark to shoot they walked right under me and feed for 15-20 minutes trapping me in the tree!

finally they moved off and i climbed down, had about 20 deer about me tonight, but most only came out past shooting light but atleast i had deer movement, something my place has been lacking lately!

rirruto8
11-03-2011, 12:55 AM
went out this evening to a warm 65 degrees. Saw two doe at 6:15 and that was it. My friend although had a small six point come in and about 5 minutes later rattled and had a huge 9 come in. Long story short, tracked blood for 400 yards bleeding out both sides with still no deer.

ghunter
11-03-2011, 06:10 AM
I didn't go out but on my drive into work this morning I seen two 150 class 10 pointers standing in a field with 5 doe. I think things a starting to heat up.

mwsports24
11-03-2011, 11:08 AM
saw 10 deer this morning...8 does and to small bucks...back out this evening

blackbeard
11-03-2011, 07:55 PM
11/03/11- Morning. Hunted a great stand site that has produced for me in the past, located between some thick stuff, and only saw three does at 9:15. Never heard any grunting, chasing, nothing. Very weird first week of November. Everyone I know is seeing a lot of bucks in fields tending does, but they are hard to come by in the woods. Buddy of mine in Waverly has been seeing good buck activity. Evidently I either smell bad or can't pick a hunting spot anymore!

bflem55
11-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Ill be out again tomorrow planning on changing a stand position at around noon and getting in my other stand by 1:30 and the wait is on. Although the bad thing tomorrow is there is suppose to be a 16mph wind but it will be blowing away from the bedding area. Im thinking it will a perfect time to mask sound and scent while hanging this stand.

mrbb
11-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Ok evening info

11/03/11
56 degree's warm and sunny, low winds
got on stand at 3 pm, saw first deer at 4;30 two yearlings, had many deer behind me but wouldn't come out

then at 5pm, had a small 6 pointer run a doe past me, then all I could hear was bucks chasing doe's grunting and running them all over all about me

had a HUGE buck 150+ chase a doe above me at about 60 yrds 3 different time, she kept about a leap ahead of him,

then at about 6 pm, I had a shooter walk out past me, but again at 65 yrds too far, cut across the food plot to teh other side and make a scrape, then go out into the big field above me
about ten minutes after he left i had a nice 130 class 8 pointer, do like only he came right to me like on a string, I had about 9 doe/yearling in front of me too, so he came to check them and feed till dark in front of me
this is a buck i am HOPING makes it till next yr, been passing on him all season, about a dozen times now or more from about 5 yrds out,

so I realy hope he makes it, as part of me would love to kill him now, but know he has ton's of potential to be huge next yr, a big frame now just shorter timnes and short on mass, but in another yr! he can be in the 150's for sure I feel!
fingers crossed he makes it

over all a good nite on stand, second in a row now with deer movements!

buckingj
11-04-2011, 07:50 AM
hunted wednesday night had 2 does come running in and stopped rite under me i think there was a 3rd deer behind them but they winded me. Then about 6:15 grunted a small 8 point in and a monster 6 pointer which ran the 8 pt off. come gun season the 6 is going down he is past his ears and brows are at least 12 in. things are heating up

yestarday hunted the a.m. saw nothing jumps a couple on the way out

the p.m. weather was calling for variable winds so i hunted on the ground dragging a scent line. found some new scrapes and some monsterous rubs. at 6:10 i started making my way to the field to see if there was any actuion going on. got to the field and with in 5 min from where i just came from it sounded like a ufc fight 2 bucks were going at it hard core about 100 yards behind me rite in line with my brag line. then to the north 2 other bucks started fighting about 50 yards in the thickets. i got out there before they were done being that i was dragging the doe in heat and getting dark going to set up in this area tonight should be exciting7837783878397840

buckingj
11-04-2011, 07:54 AM
78417842 some of the bucks on my prop

David Leckrone
11-04-2011, 10:41 AM
here on private land in shawnee ohio it deader than door nail no deer no rut action

bludyarrows
11-04-2011, 10:42 AM
I hunted Friday evening I saw nothing...a buddie was out on the other end of the woods and shot a smaller sized 8 point.

Out again Sat mornin seen nothing at all came out at noon for lunch..back up my tree at 1:30 sat till dark seen a spike.

Sunday back out before light....stayed up all day which was real tuff with not seeing much movement. Wind picked up bout 2ish started from w sw then changed n ne about 4:30 which was bad for this stand then bout 5 it started to rain. So I chose to stay put and just ride it out only seen a hand full of Monster size squirrel.
I forgot to mention that this area I have here I have six different stand sites ...so I'm not hunting the same stand everytime and I have three different properties I've been hunting so I hope to be not educating them of my presents. All but one of these spots are aways from home so when I go to these 2 spots I stay in a camper.....just can't run to these two spots after work or in short order.

Went back down Tuesday night to hunt Wednesday and Thursday.

Wed. good weather 38 in am high 57 almost no wind seen nothing all day...at 620 seen a smal 6 point pass by that was it.
Thur. sat in wind was 0-10 from th w.nw seen nothing all day.

Just can't figure out were they went. This place has no other preasure I am using different stand sites,,, I got stand set for different winds...got cleared paths to enter and exit on....I practice some serious scent control ...just don't know were they went

buckingj
11-04-2011, 03:28 PM
checked cams at 2 lots of movement during the day got in my stand at 3 and had a buck walk by while i was putting my coat on here some picsa0

buckingj
11-04-2011, 03:32 PM

blackbeard
11-04-2011, 08:39 PM
11/04/11- Morning. Hunted a ladder stand that overlooks an old gas pipeline and new dozer trail on the side of a ridge. Saw one small 8 pt come through at 8:00 and that was it. 50 deg but very cold with strong NE wind.

11/04/11- Evening. Hunted an oak grove in a corner where mature pines meet a 15 year old clearcut. Beautiful evening, sunny but cool with steady NE wind. Action started at 5:45 when a mature doe and two fawns started eating acorns and briars behind me. I kept seeing the mature doe look up the hill and eventually here came a fairly mature 8pt whose spread was not quite to his ears but his main beams almost touched and the ends of his main beams were flat. Kind of a weird looking buck. He aggressively grunted at the doe and ran her into the pines as the fawns then followed behind the buck. That was kind of funny to watch. Then the doe came back and ran under me followed by the fawns and here came the buck again. He stopped, grunted aggressively, curled his lip, then walked right under my stand and the chase started again into the big clearcut. If only he had been bigger. Oh well, exciting evening for a change, I'm not complaining. I don't think the doe was ready, I think he was all fired up over the estrous I had out and thought the smell was coming from her!

mrbb
11-04-2011, 09:38 PM
11/04/11 evening info
46 degree's heavy winds and double them in gusts!
had to be 30 mph gusts tonight terrible

temps slowly dropped as evening fell, was 34 at quiting time!

got on stand at 3;30 pm, had wind in my face, then it would switch from in my face to my left then right then at my back, off and on all nite, just plan sucked

I did see a very nice Mink walking to the stand, and got to follow him about 150 yrds, as he never seemed to know or care i was behind him!
once on stand things were slow, did see one red fox at 5:30, and about a dozen squirrels

and thats it! zero deer, think it was the winds
as last to nites before, were great on movements
try again tomorrow!

mrbb
11-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Ok evening hunt info 11/05/11
weather was sunny, warm about 50 degree's but falling
low winds maybe 2-5 mph, got on stand at 3:30 pm

no sooner than i sat down I had bucks behind me grunting and running after deer(couldn't see them just hear them)
about 3;45 I had a small 6 pointer come out and feed in my food plot, then about 10 minutes later all hell broke out behind me, had a train of bucks Hot on a doe, running behind and then to my left about 60 yrds out, they made so much noise, this 6 pointer i had in front of me took off running at thenmm, wanting to join the race!
they made a big "L" past me, then hit the food plots on a "Z" pattern , that doe looked like she was running for her life, she now had 5 different bucks on her tail, all small but One slammer, say maybe 150+ class, I had hoped she would bring him past me, but NO, never got closer than about 60 yrds
and I could hear them running off and on all nite

bucks were all about grunting behond me till dark, only had a small button buck and a yearlying doe come out in front of me

looks like the runt is starting for sure my way!
and of course, NO sunday hunting tomorrow, so have to wait, and there HOT right now, THAT sucks!!
Oh well! be out monday morning for sure!

blackbeard
11-05-2011, 09:12 PM
11/05/11- Morning. Hunted my stand between two thickets where a ditch and treeline intersects. Had two mature does come through at 8:30, man they were nosy. They caught a whiff of something from where I walked in and followed my trail almost right to my tree. I looked after they left and saw where I had stepped in goat poop the previous evening in my pasture. They didn't spook but were very weary. Then things got exciting at 9:50 when I saw a decent buck coming through. He was only ear width but very heavy and tall so I decided I would take him. He stopped at 40 yds behind some brush, then moved behind some other brush and peed, then went back to the first spot. No shot. It was a beautiful sight though seeing him standing in the thicket in the sun, could see his breath and he decided his next move. He then starting back where he came from and I grunted, grunted, grunted, and he finally stopped and looked back. So I bleated and that didn't phase him. He then started chasing a doe that was coming through and offered me no shots during the chase. An exciting morning, too bad I couldn't get a shot at him.

11/05/11- Evening. Hunted along a gas pipeline behind my house. The pipeline leads to my feeding site. At 5:50 two does proceeded to eat acorns behind me until dark. At 6:15 I heard a buck grunting aggressively and chasing a doe around at my feeding site. This continued until dark. Then the woods come alive and there were footsteps everywhere in the dark. The moon is a little more than half and really bright and it made the woods appear really cool. Then two does came down the pipeline and spooked because I was trying to climb down. On my walk out I spooked at least 5-7 more deer in another area of my property. Deer were everywhere tonight. The next week or so is going to be the best hunting all year in my opinion.

treelounger
11-05-2011, 10:00 PM
I finally made it back out tonight. I had a REAL nice 8 cruise past just out of range and in some thick stuff 4:45 pm. Didn't see another deer the rest of the night. (odd)I was in a tree that is situated in a natural funnel with wide open woods to my right and bedding area behind and to the left of me. I could easily see 150 yds. both straight ahead and to my right. The woods to my right is kind of a thin strip of woods separating a cut off and an alfalfa field. There is a good size corn field at my 11 oclock about 300 yds. It seemed like the right spot and i guess it would have been if that bruiser would have responded to my grunting and rattling. oh well happy to see him and I think we'll meet again...muuaahaahaa!
A few of my buddies got their bucks this week. 8 n 9 pointers. all in the 120-130 range. No monsters but solid bucks for our area. I'm proud of them anyway. I think we'll have to join in on the team challenge next year. how many people does it take to have a team?

Good luck boys, God bless, and Good huntin

blackbeard
11-06-2011, 07:54 PM
11/06/11- Morning. Hunted my best rut stand, saw 7 does at 8:30 that a dog spooked out of a thicket and right under my stand, then had a small 8pt come through, then 2 more does, then as I was walking out two more does were following me, thought I was a deer and couldn't see me through brush, then after the does had passed here comes another deer, the small 8pt came walking along, nose to ground, I stepped behind a tree in the shade, and he walked 5 yds from em and never stopped! Kind of cool that was.

11/06/11- Evening. Hunted one of my best evening stands, never saw a thing, never heard anything, it sucked. Moon is getting really bright probably going to make for tough evening hunting for several days so I'll be concentrating on mornings.

blackbeard
11-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Forgot to say, Big_Holla's buddy who was down hunting with him in Meigs County killed a nice buck, 140's, this morning. I'll let Big_Holla tell the story.

mrbb
11-06-2011, 08:17 PM
10/06/11 Ok no hunting here in Pa on sundays, so I took the evening to just sit on a high point and watch where deer come out! temps were in the low 50's and dropped to 38 and dark, winds were in the 5-10 mph range

sat just the last 1.5 hrs of light
saw 2 doe, 2 yearlying and 2 bucks, a red fox and 2 coons

both bucks were chasing a doe all over the field

so looks like the rut is on up here! be out in the morning tomorrow and see what happens!

Stonegod
11-06-2011, 08:54 PM
sat just the last 1.5 hrs of light
saw 2 doe, 2 yearlying and 2 bucks, a red fox and 2 coons

Hey mrbb I've seen those pics you've post of red foxes......do you ever hunt them??

offtheground
11-06-2011, 09:23 PM
Saturday 11/5 - Was able to hunt afternoon so went to my number 2 stand at 1:30. Wanted to see what was going on, this stand is located in top edge of funnel and trail interchange! In front of me is back edge of ridge drop off and creek that raps around bottom section of ridge to my left, behind me is bean field. Tree is 20 yards from field and 17 yards from main trail. When base of climber is 25 feet, it leaves me 15 feet up from filed edge and 35 up from main trail. Had target practice going on next door for couple hours one sounded like a cannon, wow! Then about 1 hour from prime time had combine come by me picking beans, extra nice! Did have this years buck and sister just guessing come in after shooting time. Got a kick out of the young bucks grunts. Could not start getting down until 7:30 to keep this spot right. Will be going out Tuesday afternoon and then Wednesday will be in my number 1 stand all day (rain or shine). On the way home, seen nice buck watching cars go by before crossing highway!

whodey1966
11-07-2011, 08:37 AM
Sunday eve hunt.
Windy, mild meant 0 deer!! Really bummed. I thought I might catch some chasing right before dark but I was wrong, The warm weather is going to stink this week for evening hunts, but I plan to be in my stand because you never know.

adarandy
11-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Out for the day and only saw one small buck, 5 point chasing a doe, but not till about 5pm. 63 and still so not real good rutting weather. Have the whole week off so hope to get something this week.

mrbb
11-07-2011, 07:55 PM
11/07/11
morning hunt info
wll was 28 degree's and heavy frost, 5-7 mph winds
got on stand 40 minuts before shooting light, was early this morning had high hopes!

well didn't see a deer till about 2 hrs into the sit(forgot watch so no idea on real times)
had a small doe yearlying group pass me, 6 in all, no bucks tailing them??

then about an hr later had another group of does come by this time 5, and again no bucks tailing them
sat till about 10;30

evening hunt info
was 64 degree;s going in, steady 5-7 mph winds, got on stand at 2:45 pm hoping for a better evening sit!
well that didn't happen

didn't see a deer till about last 15 minutes of shooting light had a small 6 pointer work his way right to me(wish he was bigger)
then ha da 2 adult does, and 2 yearlying come out to meet him, the first doe, was all up in his face, and kept squating in front of him, and pee'd about 10 times right in front of him, he didn't seem to get it

then she started to chase him, and run about him in circles
he started to get it, then she backed up to him!

he got it!! he tried to mount her, she let him get on top, and as soon as he did she bolted, she did that 3 more times
then just started to run about like crazy with him all worked up, hot on her tail

pretty cool to watch, she at one point ran at my standing corn and jumped over 5 rows without touching a stalk, talk about a high jump!

and then she led him into the woods, and that was my night!

was 48 degree's when i left, very warm and calling for warmer weather the next few days
and that sucks, things were just starting to get going, and now a slight heat wave!!
to slow things down till too dark to hunt!!(legally any wyas)

try again tomorrow!

4arms
11-07-2011, 08:03 PM
Saw one buck with a doe early this morning. At 9:30 the woods lit up with another buck chasing two does grunting all the way.

Just one lonely doe this evening hit the fresh cut corn. Not shot though but i man i wanted that freezer meat.

buckingj
11-08-2011, 09:49 AM
been out the past couple of days havent seen much something has definitely changed over the past 2 days will be heading out tonight. no day time activities on the cams

rednekhipi
11-08-2011, 12:15 PM
rattled in a decent 8pt yesterday, came in aggressive. rattled him back in an hour later. nothing this morning. been getting skunked in the evenings but mornings are heatin up. i think it needs to drop ten degrees and its on!!!

adarandy
11-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Went out this morning, about 50 degrees and wind coming out of the south at about 15-20 mph. Saw nothing this morning and on the way out saw 2 does in the corn field edge. A lot of corn still standing and when I checked the end rows there are paths all through the corn. Relocated a tree stand to the edge of the corn field and will wait till this evening to go back out. Checked some other fields of corn around the edge and seems to be a lot of traffic and they are staying in the corn.

mrbb
11-08-2011, 08:03 PM
11/08/11 morning hunt info
was 33 degree's slight winds 2-3 mph
tried a new makeshift blind i made, got all settled in at about 5:30 am

waited for day break and i tried one of those Tink's scent sticks you burn,

didn't see a deer till it went out, don't think it was the problem, just worked out that way

about 10 minutes after that thing went out, I had a shooter 8 pointer working his way to me nose all up in the air
I guess trying to find what made the scent it put out
he got to withing 40 yrds of where i had it, but was 60 yrds from me!
he stood there for 10+ minutes looking in all directions, never seemed to see me, and I was down wind of him,
he then just walked back towards a swamp to my right, never giving me a shot
10 minutes later I had a another 8ptr walk in right to me, he was less than 5 yards from me, walked past me got down wind and bedded down , stayed there for about an hr, down wind of me at about 40 yrds, we both were on the ground looking indifferent directions, I was using him like a radar!LOL!~

ended the hunt at 10 am, had things to do, and he left at 9:45 so that was good!
was 59 degrees at 10 am
so HOT today!

mrbb
11-08-2011, 08:17 PM
11/08/11 evening hunt info
was HOT 72 degrees hot!
winds were about 5-8 mph with some heavier gusts, maybe 15 mph!

got on stand at 3 pm
wasn't there long and heard all sorts of noise's
wasn't long and i saw what was making them

I had a 350-400 lb male bear tearing up my small corn food plot,
its about 8 rows about 150 yards long
well he went up and down every row, and either torn the stalks down or layed on them, 80% of the corn there iis long gone from the deer
but he checked every stalk, and picked the rest clean, knocked down about hald the standing stalks, at many times he was laying on them, fun to watch

then at 1/2 hr before sun set, he worked his way right at me, kept think, that was not going to be a good nite for deer movement with him so close, and making all that noise

well, he worked his way right to me, to hit the bigger corn plot, putting him right where I was hoping to have deer

well when he got to 10 yrds or less, i tried to spook him off, I whisled at him , yelled at him, grunted at him, and he would even look at me, or show he even heard me
if I would have had someting to thorw at him i would have hit him!

well he worked his way into my food plot , now 40 yrds from me in the wide open, shucking corm on the edge of the field

getting to crunch time, and there he is

well, no sooner than I think thats it for deer, I catch movement 20 yrds below me

a doe with two yearlyings
working there way right to that bear

they both feed about 20 yrds from each other(seen this actually many times too)

well then i had two more doe come join the party, and then a small 8 pointer,

well the bear didn't like all the crowd, so he walked to a different corn field about 300 yrds away! deer didn't even seem to care!

then , what I was hoping for
the same big 8 from this morning was walking to me, he stopped at 18 yrds just behind a big tree, no shots prior due to cover!

I just needed that one more step, as how he stopped only his nose was in view!

then I was golden I thought!
BUT he dropped his nose took a look at them doe 50yrds from me and took off on a dead run, no time to shoot,plus don't like running shots!! lol~
then he ran that doe past me back and forth 6 different time, or should I say that doe ran past me 6 diffrent times, with him behind her
never closer than 55 yrds!
they did that till dark, and then some, then they finally left for the timber
allowing me to leave!
close call tonight

only have 4 more days of bow season here in PA and I have things to do two mornings and an evening

so its going to be close to tag soup for me in bow season if things don't go better soon!

taylor6400
11-09-2011, 09:18 AM
Its hot in my area now. I havent been out since Saturday. But i got 2 pics of bucks that friends shot last night, and then on my way to work this morning i had a doe jump out of a corn field in front of me so i stopped figuring she was pushed. He barrelled out after. A monster 8 with a mahogany rack. Beautiful buck! Im talking 150's...a huge 8. I wish i could have snapped a quick pic.

adarandy
11-09-2011, 09:48 AM
Not out this morning, 11-9 as it is raining and windy. Coming out of the south at 20-30 mph and currently 60 degrees, Cold front coming in for the evening and expected high tomorrow of 45. Going out this afternoon after rain goes through. Last night sit on edge of a cornfield and only saw 1 doe and that was around 4pm. Hoping the weather change will get them moving.

blackbeard
11-09-2011, 09:18 PM
11/08/11- AM. Spooked a deer walking in. My entry route is an old ditch so I'm pretty concealed and the deer didn't know what I was. At 6:15 the deer I spooked came down the ditch, probably thinking I was a doe, and it was a decent 8-pt. Had him at 18 yds but just couldn't shoot him because I've saw a bigger buck in this stand. Never saw a thing after that, sat until 10:30.

11/09/11- AM. Saw a small doe feeding on a ridge about 60 yds from me at daylight. Then at 7:30 I saw big antlers through the brush and it was a nice 10-pt I've been hoping to get a shot at. First I thought he was just feeding on briars, but then I saw he was tending/guarding a doe. He chased her a little but you could tell he was just waiting for her to be ready and then he would get down to business. this went on for almost 2 hours. At one time he passed within 45 yds of me but just not going to take that shot on a fairly windy morning. I tried everything to get them closer..grunting, bleeting, snort-wheeze, but he and the doe were not interested. He would look my way but then grunt and get close to the doe. I think they bedded down about 60 yds from me at 9:15 so when the wind picked up I snuck to where I thought he might come if he thought I was another buck. He never showed up after several grunts. Exciting but frustrating morning but that's what happens when you're trying to kill a buck during the breeding phase of rut.

spikehunter87
11-10-2011, 07:08 PM
I have been finding a bunch of scrapes all over in Texas. I hunted at www.peartreegameranch.com this year. I like bow hunting myself. Nothing better than finding sheds. I always enjoy finding sheds. Hope everyone has a good hunt this year.

blackbeard
11-10-2011, 07:21 PM
11/10/11- AM. Passed a small 8pt at 7:50, saw another small buck with nose to ground, saw 2 different sets of does running. Awesome morning as far as weather.

11/10/11- PM. Mature doe came under me right as rain was starting at 4:15 and headed for mature pines, then the skies opened and the light rain and heavy wind lasted for 30 minutes, then the sun started shining and the squirrels went to work on the acorns, then I passed a shot on a small 8pt at 5:00, then a 4pt chased a doe around the woods circling me twice as a young doe watched. It was funny that the deer were eating the acorns as fast as the squirrels could drop them. Beautiful evening.

treelounger
11-10-2011, 07:24 PM
On the way home from work today I saw four bucks that were better than 130's. Between cleveland and northern trumbull county. Three that were smaller. All chasing does. Twice there were two bucks chasing the same doe.It was crazy out tonight. AND I CAN'T HUNT!! Glad tomorrow is Fri. Sat. I'll be perched untill I let the air out of one!!

bflem55
11-10-2011, 07:44 PM
Went out today at 11 and sat til sundown saw 2 does thats it weather was great for temperature, but the wind was sustained 15mph gusting to 25 at times. I am getting pretty frustrated seems like there are no deer to see this year of decent size

adam
11-10-2011, 07:57 PM
Was out this morning, saw 3 fawns with no moma, never came close enough to make it to the freezer. A flock of 12 turkeys worked the field edge for about a hour. Wind kicked up didnt see anything else. Back out in the afternoon, saw 1 big doe with 2 fawns aroud 4:30, still yet to even see a buck from the stand. Got plenty of scrapes and rubs all over not sure where the bucks are , hope to see one soon, will be out tomorrow sat and sunday all day.

bflem55
11-11-2011, 09:31 PM
Went out today at 1130 AM saw a nice 10 point bedded down in the open under a tree. Tried to stalk him with a 15mph West wind to my back. As I approached him a darn 4 pt. was bedded down by him and I spooked them both all i got was whitetail in my face. Do you think he is gone for good? Other than that watched a mom and her little one walk into a open field for a hour. No bucks ever came out to harass her.... I dunno this rut is screwy for me at least in Madison county.

mrbb
11-11-2011, 09:56 PM
11/10/11, sat morning for 4 hrs till rin gor heavy saw one deer a nice 130 class 8, that i have been passing on
I also found a dead deer on the way ot mostly just skin and flech, but abouyt half a deer worth, so sure the rest was near by, just didn't bother lookibng, either a lost deer kill, or a bear or yote got one

evening hunt, didn't see nay deer
But my dog got ill and i had to put him down

so this is maybe my last update for the yr, lost desire to finish the season out

good luck to all though!

rirruto8
11-11-2011, 11:12 PM
sorry to hear that mrbb

whodey1966
11-12-2011, 06:32 AM
Veterans day report.
Was in my stand from noon till dark and didn't see a single deer. windy at times but cold, I thought for sure I would see some action. November hunting for me has stunk!! Hardly any deer sightings at all, weird month so far, wish it was October again, I was seeing more movement then.

preble county
11-12-2011, 06:53 AM
So far yesterday was my best day this year and was only able to be in the stand til 10am. Seen about 20 doe and 3 bucks. 1 buck was about a 140-150 and the other would have been probly a 190 or so but one side of its rack was broke off. They were on the search hard yesterday. Good luck everyone.

adarandy
11-12-2011, 08:14 AM
Stayed in the house Wednesday morning while it rained and went back to the woods at about 11:45 and by 11:47 shot a buck that was working a tree not 25 yards from my stand. He must have been working it while I climbed the stand because when I reached the top he was already there. Hurried up and pulled my bow up and let it fly. Big bodied deer but only had 3 pts. Went back out on Thursday and saw just 3 deer all day, 1 buck and 2 does. Friday spent all morning at another woods and saw nothing, came back home and went back to the woods and at about 5:05 a doe came through and I shot her at about 30 yards. Taking her this morning to a butcher donating it to FHFH in Allen County. For me a good week to be off but I will be going back out this afternoon as I bought another anterless tag and they still need donations for FHFH. Good luck all.

lunngman
11-12-2011, 10:42 AM
I haven't seen a buck or a doe, this past week.
Last week of Oct was hot!!
Wish i knew why movement has slowed??
Thought it was the warmer weather, but now it's cold again!

bflem55
11-12-2011, 11:43 AM
yeah lungman tell me about it it sucks over here in Madison County. I havent seen one bit of rutting activity. I am thinking that this rut atleast in this area is going to come in a little bit later than what these so called "experts" are saying. Where do you hunt at?

neo55
11-12-2011, 12:02 PM
lart 2 weeks have been odd in Summit County. Hot, then cold but windy. Very little daylight activity.

Went out yesterday at 3pm. Nothing. Back at 6:30am this mornng. Scattered corn gone. Stayed on stand until 10am. Zip. I think I have Taco Bell deer. Hitting the stand at 2am! No sign of rut. On way out of woods saw one doe walking 60 yards away. I was down wind and did not get busted. No bucks on her tail. Things will heat up soon I hope.

ghunter
11-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Went out this am was in my stand and ready to go at 6:32 as the sun came up so did the wind but at 7:41 I seen a smaller doe moving very fast downwind of me. I thought that she smelled me but I looked behind her and here comes a smaller 8 point. He chased her all around me and finally gave me a shot at 35 yards but just as I released the arrow he started running toward her again but it was a clean miss and they both trotted away.

blackbeard
11-12-2011, 01:24 PM
11/11/11- AM. Cold morning. Saw seven does, all spooked by dogs. Later part of the dog problem on my property was eliminated.

11/12/11- AM. Saw seven does and three bucks. All bucks were chasing does. One buck was a mature buck, really nice. He ran behind me at 45 yards and didn't stop. I did hear him growl at the doe two times. Pretty cool. Don't hear the growl much. My streak continues of having immature 8 and 10 pointers walk right under me and the mature bucks always being just out of range. Gotta get a break sometime. Hopefully soon, getting run down by all the hunting.

Stonegod
11-12-2011, 05:09 PM
11/11/11- Saw seven does, all spooked by dogs. Later part of the dog problem on my property was eliminated.

Did you catch them and feed them and brush them and take them to the shelter?

adarandy
11-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Watched a 8 point across the road from living room just standing in a cut bean field, not moving just standing before I noticed the doe in the waterway laying down. Buck finally laid down beside her and was there for about an hour before a combine came in to take beans off in the field right next to them. They both got up and ran off with him hot on her tail. Planning on going out tomorrow as I just purchased another doe tag. Farmers around here are going at the corn and beans like crazy which will move the deer around so you just never know. Be nice to get another for FHFH as they would like about 30 more deer for donations.

blackbeard
11-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Let's just say he ain't a problem anymore.

preble county
11-12-2011, 09:07 PM
My wife went hunting this morning so I didnt get out in the am, she didnt see a thing though. It was real windy here in preble county. I made it out for the evening hunt and seen 6 doe and a basket rack with his nose to the ground. That was after Climbing a tree with my summit climbing stand only to have a guy on the property next to the one I was hunting Climb up a tree 40yrds. from me right on the property line. So back down the tree I went to another spot..

scoutinlife
11-13-2011, 08:52 AM
Still on stand windy as all get out two does came strolling through by my stand at 6:50 am called a small 5 pointer around 8am that's it so far this morning.7936

preble county
11-13-2011, 04:30 PM
Was going to go out tonight dispite the wind but lost my best huntin spot til after gun season, That hurts this time of year:07:

scoutinlife
11-13-2011, 07:13 PM
Hung out for the duration today total sightings all within 20 to 40 yards small 5 pointer one fork horn one larger buck in thicket. Couldn't get head gear count & 7 does of which 5 came through about 5 this evening. Cant get out again till wensday. Best day yet for activity so far this year.

blackbeard
11-13-2011, 07:45 PM
11/13/11- AM. Saw one doe at 6:50 AM. Other than that the morning was windy and noisy with squirrels everywhere and no deer. Stayed till 10:00 then said the heck with it. Pretty frustrated right now with the hunting, just couldn't get a break with a buck worth shooting within range this year. All small bucks under my stand but the three shooters I've saw have always been 40-50 yards away with no shots (wouldn't at that distance anyway). Bad weather next three days so it looks like it'll have to be a post-rut buck for me or nothing.

lunngman
11-14-2011, 11:06 PM
[QUOTE=bflem55;130609]yeah lungman tell me about it it sucks over here in Madison County. I havent seen one bit of rutting activity. I am thinking that this rut atleast in this area is going to come in a little bit later than what these so called "experts" are saying. Where do you hunt at?

Hi bflem, i hunt NW Stark Co, Oh.
Have actually been hunting a piece of land ( 40 acres ? ) inside the city limits.
Good luck, hope u stick a big one.

treelounger
11-16-2011, 06:51 PM
11/16 pm Got off work early hit the woods @ 3PM. Cool breeze out of the WWN 3-7mph. Overcast. Beautiful evening. Saw tails bouncing through the woods as I drove up in the truck. Saw the first action at 4:15, Two does being chased by two bucks the does were 50-60 yds. apart both had their bucks in tow at about 10 yds. It was crazy! I would have said something spooked them and they were just running through the woods but both pair were zig zagging their way through the woods. Both bucks were grunting and carrying on. They went on their way and about 20 min. later a shooter buck came down the same trail, nose to the ground. I grunted snort-wheezed but he would not stop he seemed to be preoccupied with the trail he was sniffin. I thought he had left but one of the smaller bucks had left his doe and was coming back. He walked out of the thicket I saw the big boy go into. Then the big boy followed the little guy back out, and chased him off. Then disappeared back into the thicket. My thought was that the doe was stillin the area but never saw anything again. All in all a pretty exiting night. The rut is not over and I have the next few days off.. Bloods gonna flow.

crookedtine
11-16-2011, 08:57 PM
The rut here in Lawrence co. Has seemed very weird this year. For me and everyone I've talked to. I started seeing chasing activity the third week of October, but rubs were virtually non existant. Rutting activity has been very sporadic and drawn out rather than a 1 week or so window I think it's going to be a longer drawn out rut where there is no obvious peak. I've seen bucks engaged in all out battles during the day and then see bucks in the fields act like they were best pals while feeding less than 10 yards apart. With that said I did manage to take a cruising buck with my bowtech at 12 yards last Saturday morning. I run trail cams year around and had never snapped a picture of this guy. Will post pics whenever I figure it out again.

offtheground
11-17-2011, 03:02 AM
Hunting from 11/8 thru 11/16 just plain sucked! Lets see windy, rain, warm and new dumb a@# hunters on property, target practice with guns! I spent a total of 65+ hours in the stand with nothing to show for it. Have seen a total of 5 deer and only one was a shooter. To top it off the one target buck I have been chasing was shot by a guy that I didnt even know was hunting property. He told me he took a running shot at buck but they never found him, lost blood trail. Had another guy walk into bedding area in the middle of afternoon and another clown on atv driving across picked bean field. Starting to think I'm hunting public ground.
Spent 7 hours in rain today, I did see shooter buck around 8am but he stayed out 60-70 yards and was looking for does. Just gets tuff when you put in the time all year long getting set for rut and things out of your control happen!
Enough said......

scoutinlife
11-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Went out this morning from 6:30 am till 11:30 seen two does at 9:58 am that's it so far today. Grab some lunch changing camo and going back out till dark. Anyone else hunting today?

Bigcity
11-17-2011, 12:42 PM
Good morning in the woods, nice cool morning. Saw a shooter 8 @ 7:30. Looks like the one I saw this past weekend tending a doe. I think the 1st round of breeding is done and the bucks are on their feet again seeking new victims. Should be good today and tomorrow since it will remain cool. The heat last week has suppressed daytime activity. Going to try and make it happen today or tomorrow since youth season starts Saturday morning.

Big_Holla
11-17-2011, 12:44 PM
Well it's been a long time coming but I was down in Meigs County from 11/5 thru 11/13 bowhunting. Every single day my buddy Ed and I saw chasing action. Whether it was small bucks or at times big bucks it was happening. On Sunday 11/6 Ed shot his best buck to date, a real wide rack with GREAT brow tines.

On Wednesday 11/9 I hit a great buck in the morning. Tracked him all day and eventually the heavy rain moved in and washed away an already hard to follow blood trail. Had a couple of great friends come with me the following day to do a search but in the end we couldn't find the buck. I was so heart broken and sick I couldn't even bring myself to come on the forum til after I came back from Ohio.

We came back to Michigan on Sunday 11/13. Monday afternoon I got a text message from my dad saying that my cousin had found the buck on their property, about another 5-550 yards further than where we had lost blood in the rain. He didn't know at the time I was the one who shot it so he contacted the GW to get a salvage tag. So, this weekend I am heading back down to pick up what was left of him after the critters got him. Sure was not the way I wanted it to happen but it's the hand I was dealt.

scoutinlife
11-17-2011, 06:54 PM
Big Holla hate to hear that! Well only sighting today was the two does this morning just cold and to windy today!

crookedtine
11-17-2011, 08:45 PM
i finally got enough time to get the pics loaded. here he is. now its time to fill the freezer!

BBHuNtEr2010
11-18-2011, 01:19 AM
BIG HOLLA WHAT TOWN DO U HUNT IN I HUNT IN LANGSVILLE BY THE PUBLIC LAND NOV 9 I TOOK MY BUCK THAT'S ON HERE AS NOV 9 8 POINT ..THEY HAVE BEN RUTTING HARD DOWN THERE....GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE ...

BBHuNtEr2010
11-18-2011, 01:22 AM
ALSO CHECK OUT OHIO HEADHUNTERS IN LANGSVILLE OF OF 124 THEY DO GOOD AND FAIR PRICED ...IM TAKING MIN DOWN THIS WEEKEND ..CHECK THEY HAVE A FACE BOOK JUS TYPE THEM IN

adam
11-18-2011, 08:37 PM
Hunted afternoon today, WINDY. Didnt see anthing until last 15min of shooting light, 2 does came out of the bedding area never got closer than 50yds. So close yet so far, still trying to get one for the freezer. Maybe next time

adarandy
11-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Out till just now as I just got to wet, earlier the combine was shelling corn and ran out a big buck, who then was chased by a dog till the deer turned around and ran at the dog sending it to the house. It was a ways away and didn't get to count points but had an impressive rack. Sat through most of the rain just got to cold. Have something to do this evening or I would be out, maybe tomorrow. Hasn't rained all that much so will have to see how tomorrow goes. Good luck everyone.

lunngman
11-20-2011, 01:05 PM
Beautiful Buck!! Congrats!!

Big_Holla
11-20-2011, 05:58 PM
BIG HOLLA WHAT TOWN DO U HUNT IN I HUNT IN LANGSVILLE BY THE PUBLIC LAND NOV 9 I TOOK MY BUCK THAT'S ON HERE AS NOV 9 8 POINT ..THEY HAVE BEN RUTTING HARD DOWN THERE....GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE ...

We are over near Albany.

blackbeard
11-20-2011, 07:54 PM
11/19/11- AM. Saw two small bucks at 7:30 and 8:30 AM. That's it. Very windy later in the morning.

blackbeard
11-22-2011, 02:05 PM
11/20/11- AM. Saw two small bucks at 7:00 AM and 8:00 AM. Light rain most of morning. Heavier rain at 9:00 and I went to the house. Awful weather right now in southern Ohio, heavy rain for three straight days. Does and big bucks seem to be hiding, only small bucks around. Only getting does on camera after dark.

Stonegod
11-24-2011, 11:07 AM
Well still nothing moving....not a bird....squirrel nor deer. Wind is perfect for me but it's just plain old dead out here!!! Been sitting about 4 hours......6 more to go and I'm going in for some turkey!!!.....and boar,elk and venison!! Going to be along 6hrs.LOL

tim1676
11-27-2011, 07:17 PM
Saw my first chasing this year. A nice 8pt, probably 140's chasing a doe through someones backyard.This was about 3:30 this evening Watched him for about 5 minutes.On the way home saw about 15 deer in the fields, about 5:00 Also, was out from 6:30 to 10:00 in the woods, didn't see a single deer.

This is all in Greene Co.

blackbeard
11-28-2011, 04:51 PM
11/28/11- Mon AM. Let's just say I'm sick right now. Here's the story. I got on stand before daylight this morning and sat until 9:00 AM without seeing anything. There were a lot of gunshots around but only 2-3 close to my property. At 9:15 I found a high vantage point where I could glass my overgrown field. I immediately saw white antlers in the overgrown field. I grabbed my binos and saw a very nice buck coming to the field to bed. I watched him move through the weeds and bed approximately 200 yards away. The wind was blowing in my face so I decided to try and get within 50 yards of him then call and see what happens. So I used an old haul road to get within 50 yards of him and I stood beside a locust tree to use for some cover. I then did an aggressive grunt, a few tending grunts, and 3-4 bleats followed by more tending grunts. I waited. Then all of sudden here he came, a very nice, tall, mature 10 pt at 35-40 yards. However, he came more from my right than I had figured he would and I couldn't shoot him because of the tree. He then slowly worked his way to my left but angled behind some honeysuckle and stood there looking for the buck and doe. He then got nervous and walked away stiff legged before slowly bounding off. I was crushed. So close. So darn close. The tree I decided to stand beside turned out to be a terrible mistake on my part. This was a buck I've been getting on camera all season and saw earlier this year at 50 yards. He looked even better at 35 yards. After the game was over I slowly snuck out and on the way peaked into a small grove of saplings where I immediately saw at least 10-12 nice rubs. This was obviously his bedroom. Since he didn't smell me and really didn't see me move I may get another crack at him. Time will tell but I'm sick right now.

treelounger
11-28-2011, 08:07 PM
I hope you get another chance at him.. goodluck

tim1676
11-29-2011, 06:46 AM
11/28/11- Mon AM. Let's just say I'm sick right now. Here's the story. I got on stand before daylight this morning and sat until 9:00 AM without seeing anything. There were a lot of gunshots around but only 2-3 close to my property. At 9:15 I found a high vantage point where I could glass my overgrown field. I immediately saw white antlers in the overgrown field. I grabbed my binos and saw a very nice buck coming to the field to bed. I watched him move through the weeds and bed approximately 200 yards away. The wind was blowing in my face so I decided to try and get within 50 yards of him then call and see what happens. So I used an old haul road to get within 50 yards of him and I stood beside a locust tree to use for some cover. I then did an aggressive grunt, a few tending grunts, and 3-4 bleats followed by more tending grunts. I waited. Then all of sudden here he came, a very nice, tall, mature 10 pt at 35-40 yards. However, he came more from my right than I had figured he would and I couldn't shoot him because of the tree. He then slowly worked his way to my left but angled behind some honeysuckle and stood there looking for the buck and doe. He then got nervous and walked away stiff legged before slowly bounding off. I was crushed. So close. So darn close. The tree I decided to stand beside turned out to be a terrible mistake on my part. This was a buck I've been getting on camera all season and saw earlier this year at 50 yards. He looked even better at 35 yards. After the game was over I slowly snuck out and on the way peaked into a small grove of saplings where I immediately saw at least 10-12 nice rubs. This was obviously his bedroom. Since he didn't smell me and really didn't see me move I may get another crack at him. Time will tell but I'm sick right now.

Wow, that is tough but exciting also. Play the wind and try to get back at him, it sounds like you know where he is bedding. Good luck!

Retired Sailor
12-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Gun hunting today in Wayne. Saw nothing, heard less than half a dozen gunshots.

blackbeard
12-02-2011, 06:42 PM
11/29/11- Tues AM. Went back after the buck I should have killed Monday. Decided to get near his bedding area after first light since it was quiet walking and in case he was already there. Didn't want to spook him in the dark. He was already there. At 7:15 I caught a glimpse of him leaving his bedding area followed by a small buck. Waited around and he never showed back up. Heard a shot on the neighboring property in the general direction he was heading. He may be dead.

11/29/11- Tues PM. Went back in the evening and hunted near his bedding area, never saw anything.

11/30/11- Wed AM. Went back to his bedding area, never saw anything. Too windy for him to be bedded in the field though, if he's still alive.

12/01/11- Thurs AM. Hunted a different spot, could have shot two does early, never saw anything else. Nephew killed a small doe. Other nephew missed a doe and a small buck. Brother saw big buck. Friend saw big buck and little buck.

12/02/11- No hunting.

adarandy
12-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Out gun hunting this morning with my son, saw 2 small bucks but I have already shot those, saw 2 does but further then I care to shoot with the pistol. Those went on through and saw 2 more but in the middle of the woods and couldn't get a shot as it was too thick. Supposed to rain most of the day tomorrow but probably not going out. Deer don't seem to be to scared and we have a bunch of standing corn and they know where to hide. Back out bow hunting next week and it should still be good. Haven't seen anybody back where I was hunting so hope all is good.

blackbeard
12-03-2011, 08:11 PM
12/03/11- AM. Saw 10 does, could have shot 8 of them, no buck sightings. Beautiful morning.

whodey1966
12-10-2011, 08:52 AM
Thursday eve report.
Got into my stand at 3:30, cold, partly cloudy, breezy eve, hunted till dark and 0 deer spotted!! There is around 50 acres of standing corn right down the road from where I hunt and it is killing my hunting, Deer are holding up in the corn!

adarandy
12-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Sunday evening report: 2 does early around 4 pm running from a combine that was taking corn off across the road, ran into the wrong corner of the woods. Around 4:30 heard something behind me and got up and looked and nice 8 point walking down the trail at about 60 yards. He kept heading east and lost him through the trees. Temps in the middle 30's and slight wind coming from the south. Only deer I saw in the woods. A lot of corn harvest is going on now and I am seeing deer out the windows of the house every where and pretty much anytime of the day. Gun season back in next weekend and most likely totally different with most of the corn getting shelled right now. May try to sneak out of work and get back for some afternoon hunts before it comes in. Still looking to shoot a doe.

blackbeard
12-11-2011, 11:05 PM
Been good hunting weather but real cold, I'm trying to let the deer relax in my area after gun season and plan to get back at it later this week until the gun hunting starts again this next weekend.

blackbeard
12-13-2011, 11:53 AM
12/13/11 AM- Saw one mature doe being followed by a small buck at 7:30. Saw two more deer running into a thicket at 8:00 followed by the same small buck. Saw one small doe eating honeysuckle at 8:45. Wasn't crazy about shooting her but she just gave me too good of an opportunity and I have a friend that needs some meat.............so at 19 yds...........quartering away......I released............and........clean miss! I was trying to shoot behind my tree and to my left, and being left handed, just never got a good anchor point due to my safety harness. Oh well. Beautiful morning, 32 deg with light SW/W wind.

blackbeard
12-17-2011, 06:38 PM
12/17/11- AM. Gun in hand, saw 5 does and 2 small bucks, could have killed 6 of the 7, not looking for does or small bucks. Beautiful morning, very little shooting.

12/17/11- PM. Gun in hand, saw 5 does, 1 button buck, a 100" buck, and heard another buck. What I mean is I was sitting in a ground blind by a feeding site and at 5:00 the woods came alive...deer from all directions. The decent buck came in at 5:30, too dark too shoot, and proceeded to run off a button buck. I hung in there till way after dark so I could get out with the least disturbance possible. Right before leaving the 100" buck was fighting with another buck. At 30 yards and in the dark it was pretty cool to sit there and listen to them. Absolutely gorgeous evening, very little shooting around this evening too.

neo55
12-18-2011, 11:23 AM
does and small bucks coming in at last light.... pinned in until way after dark waiting and waiting.... any tricks for getting out without busting the stand?

blackbeard
12-18-2011, 11:48 AM
12/18/11-AM. Awesome morning.....never saw a single deer. Really surprising. I was on a hardwood ridge where I always see deer moving through in the late morning but not this morning. Quite a bit of shooting around me.

adarandy
12-18-2011, 08:33 PM
out for the afternoon and saw nothing, only shooting I heard much of came from the game club, they were shooting sporting clays. When it quit didn't hear much shooting at all. Back to bow hunting which is good as not much shooting and I think it will be good, just that they are going to be bunched up so lots of eyes and ears. Good Luck everyone.

blackbeard
12-18-2011, 11:20 PM
12/18/11- PM- Nice evening, cold, but with the calm winds and noisy leaves, it was nearly impossible to get close enough to deer in order to see them before dark at this point in the hunting season. Around here it seems as though deer aren't moving till close to 5:00 in the evening so you gotta be close to them in order to get a shot before legal shooting ends (ridiculous as it is). I was going to sit near a bedding area and by the time I got there at 3:30 some cows had spooked two deer out and they ran in front of me. So I went to get close to the next bedding area and was about ready to sit down when I took one last step and spooked a herd of deer which went running away. So I kept walking to the next spot and sat down. Didn't see a darn thing....nothing....nada....zilch. Squirrels sounded like buffalo. Very disappointing day, never saw a deer while I was sitting. I'm pretty discouraged right now. I had two nice bucks frequenting my property but one got killed on Tuesday morning of gun season and the other one hasn't been in front of my camera at my feeding site since Saturday morning of gun season so I would say he's dead also. No other bucks worth shooting really on my property. So I'm hitting the 2-3 other places I hunt and hoping for the best. Late December and January is always a very tough time to kill a buck around my area. The bucks just simply are hard to see, hang in the thick stuff and probably nocturnal.

BIGHUNTOH
12-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Went out Saturday morning, didnt see much but found a very fresh scrape on the edge of a wheat field. Saturday afternoon set up on the trail leading to the scrape, saw 10 nice sized does come out into the field but nothing within 35 yards. went back out Sunday morning and the scrape was worked over in the night. The bucks are travel at night now, but the does are coming out just before sunset
here

Genesis 9:3
01-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Was in the stand around 3:30 on the 31st... man it was lonely! Saw a few squirrels... spent most of my time thinking and a little working the grunt call...

With about 15 minutes left in the day I heard a huff and looked behind me - about 300 yards away I saw 4 or 5 white tails shoot up and bound the other way and out of site... something off to my right had them spooked...

I did see a rub or two that looked somewhat fresh...

Bigcity
01-09-2012, 09:17 AM
Hunted Saturday and Sunday afternoon, found four new rubs and a new scrape since New Years eve. Super excited a buck is still using my area. Heard from the farmer that there is a real nice 10ptr that has been seen near there. Saw deer both days and had a small 8 at 10 yards. He gets a pass this year. Still got an anterless tag and either sex tag to fill. 28 Days remaining fella's!!!

01-09-2012, 10:01 AM
Saturday I was on the other side of the field (where I had seen the deer the last time). I was in the tree around 1:30 till dusk... once again, saw about 5 squirrels, no deer.

I sure wish I could take an anti-squirrel device with me while I'm bow hunting... they were rustling the leaves the entire time I was out there :banghead:

At another location I saw 4 does walk through... too far out for shooting though.

whodey1966
01-16-2012, 07:24 AM
1-15-12
Got into my stand around 4, cold afternoon but good weather overall. Had a doe group of 4 come in behind me around 5 and graze in a picked bean field around 30 minutes, too far off for any shots. Tough time of the year for sure. Probably go out a few more times before the season ends.

01-16-2012, 09:15 AM
Spent all day Saturday on the hunt... around 2pm I went for a walk and scared up two does... the only deer I saw this past weekend... pretty slow...

blackbeard
01-21-2012, 12:46 AM
01/20/12- Friday evening report. Deer have been eating at my feed site regularly, especially in evenings, including 2-3 bucks that need to grow a year but ones I've decided I'll shoot anyway. I poured 50 lbs of corn out Thursday at 4:00 PM and when I got to the stand at 4:00 this evening (Friday) it hadn't been touched! Very odd. Sat from 4:00 till dark and never seen nor heard a single deer. Unbelieveable. I have photos of deer every day for the last two weeks eating corn from 4:00 PM until after dark and into the night. I just can't imagine that no deer were hungry for corn with the temperatures dropping and a storm moving in at 8:00 PM. Just puzzled. Got back to house and what did I see? My camera flash going off every few minutes! (The stand is only 200 yards from house) They didn't come in until 30 minutes after dark! Wind was blowing away from where they bed (perfect East wind) so they must have heard me crunch my way walking in since the leaves and ground were frozen. This season has been miserable as far as buck hunting. Probably no hunting in the morning, 1/2 inch ice expected overnight, things already slick out there.

blackbeard
01-21-2012, 12:49 AM
Forgot to say, never saw a single squirrel around the feed site, none. That is even more odd than not seeing any deer. A certain red fox that I am getting on camera regularly might be the reason for no squirrels. Found blood all over my trophy rock and around feed site a week ago, fox must've caught something for dinner!

Buckeye360
02-05-2012, 07:47 AM
First full day of hunting since October: 6 does came in downwind and hit my tracks and wind, mingled back 50 yards, then were ran off by 6 Yotes. Mean while another 6 came in from upwind where I expected, but mom had already slipped right under me without me hearing, and when I turned to see her kids she busted me. But later all 12 came back and bedded just 50-60 yards in a circle. Big mama's stood motionless on guard preventing me from moving for at least an hour. A couple mature does walked around licking and kissing the younger fawns. Very cool! 2 of them knew I wasnt a normal blob in tree. Plus possibly a swirling wind and a lone yotes pushed them back another 50 yards out of my life until September:( .............Last night Hunted over a bait pile/ camera lick. 3 Spikes, 1 basket, and 2 nice 115 class 2 year olds. If you are not baiting in late season you are probably not seeing or killing bucks. Great day to end season even though no kill!

blackbeard
02-06-2012, 06:25 PM
I hunted Saturday morning (Feb 4) for the last time. I decided to hunt a stand located in the middle of a honeysuckle thicket...this turned out to be a good choice. I got to stand at daylight, saw nothing for the first 1 hour and 15 minutes, then at 8:45 I heard deer blowing above me. The wind was blowing directly that way so I most likely had gotten winded. Finally I saw a doe up that way come out of the honeysuckle...then another doe, then another doe...and another..and another..and another! So now there are 6 does (couple were button bucks), all acting nervous about 75 yards behind me.

Thinking they'd never come my way, guess what they did? They all came my way. Four came first, with a huge mature doe being fourth in line behind two small does and a button buck. I could have shot the button buck and small does, but decided to wait for the big momma. I wanted her, she was a beast, big old long nose, what a doe. The other two deer stayed up the hill where I first saw them. So right when the big momma doe finally stepped out at 20 yards, I got ready and drew my bow....but the other two deer had come off the hill and another huge doe was right behind me and under my tree and saw me and blew. Deer scattered. One hung around but never would come from behind some small trees. I blew that one. Oh well. Later two more does came by, but no shots.

So that was it, season over. Two bow killed does to show for it, no bow killed buck for only the second time in 11 years, but I had a lot of fun. Is it September 2012 yet?!?!?

Crossfire
09-14-2012, 01:51 PM
Yes, it is now Sept. 2012 Get Ready!

Griz
09-14-2012, 06:31 PM
Yes, it is now Sept. 2012 Get Ready!
My season in NH opens tomorrow, and yes I'm ready.

adarandy
09-25-2012, 02:34 PM
Hunting season opens on Saturday and with much excitement. Love this time of year when the temps start to drop and I just got done opening up all the paths in the woods from the last wind storm we had. Bumped deer everyday going back to cut and will be tough hunting with all the corn still up, but have seen them on the trailcams and numerous tracks. Finally get some rain where everything greened back up so expecting a good season. Haven't seen any big bucks to speak of, a basket racked 8 and a 7 point that is a little larger than it. They moved butcher shops for FHFH so I will have to tavel a bit to get them one but it is worth the cause. Happy Hunting all and good luck.