PDA

View Full Version : Honda or Can-Am?

4arms
09-05-2011, 09:12 PM
I'm back in the market for a used ATV and might get another Honda (Rincon or Rubicon). I am hearing great things about the Can-am Outlander 800. Anybody have experience?

mrbb
09-05-2011, 10:16 PM
have to ask, what do you want it for>
if you trail ride more, then the can am
if you plan to work it hard, go honda, but I would recommend a foreman model, there like tanks, and about the best bang for the buck as well, don't go fast but last! and work like a tractor!
old school though, still have manual gears, the real one's any ways!
and only come in 500 class motors

but in my camp, our foremans(mine included) have out lasted 3 other brands and even with bigger motor models as well!
there tools up there, seldom see trail rides!
MY 2 cents anyways!

4arms
09-05-2011, 10:38 PM
I'll use it for both. Trail and some work. (rolling the yard, spraying) I had a Rincon, but didn't care for reverse mechanism. The foreman/rubicon is a beast of a machine, but as you said not fast. Slow is more like it...haha.

I've got a 53' Ford jubilee for light duty farming, foods plots and such but that is kept at the farm.

mrbb
09-05-2011, 11:37 PM
like i said there a tool
not a trail rig!

I'd go can am if price was right,they seem to be a great ride, but also seem to cost a tad more

not knocking any polaris's, but they all were the first ones to die at my camp, had good luck with a few arctic cat 700 up there right now, run well, and good ride/power
and they got them as left overs, and save a bunch$$ too!

good luck

zach-the-deer-slayer
09-14-2011, 06:27 PM
Well I own a 2004 Foremen 450 and my brother owns a Can Am outlanders 800. The way I see it, the outlander has a TON of power. They are a work horse if that's what you want it for. They ride great, the foot brakes don't go out. They can maneuver through the woods good too. We've used the outlander on the farm to pull a full size f350 supercab dually hooked to a loaded cattle trailer out of a Mishima before. I love that 4 wheeler and there's so many accessories that you can get, like the back seat, brush guards, winches etc etc. You can go fast, go muddin in ponds, pull logs...

Now my foremen. It's a great work ATV, but you can play too. You're not going to be afraid to beat this off a tree in the woods. Hauling corn, pulling logs, dragging deer, hauling tools and blocks. It's a great worker, enough power to Do just about anything ( except pull big diesel trucks around) I ride mine everyday on the farm and get along fine. Now the bad. If you get in mud, your foot brakes don't last long. Top speed is 50mph in 5th gear on my 450cc.

To sum it up, if I had the money, I would get the Can Am. When my brother got it, he had a lot of extra cash to throw around.
If you need a quality ATV and are on a budget, go with the foremen. Basically the Can Am is faster, more powerful, and rides better than the foremen. And when I say the can am is powerful, were talking 80mph vs 45mph wide open on the road.

Once again, I would get the Can Am 9 out of 10 times.

zach-the-deer-slayer
09-14-2011, 06:29 PM
Pulled out of a mudhole, not a Mishima

4arms
09-18-2011, 12:36 AM
Hahaha , I just got around to seeing your post Zach. That mishima mud must be rare stuff.

Rolled my new hunting/work/trail rig off the truck today.

mrbb
09-18-2011, 06:49 PM
what model size is it?
looks nice though!
all ready to get dirty!!

4arms
09-18-2011, 08:28 PM
can-am 800r XT

Split_G2
10-17-2011, 07:46 PM
4arms, you'll love it. I ride a lot, nearly every weekend from April thru August. I trail ride around here and in the mountains in WV and do some serious mudding and ride with several different kinds of bikes. No doubt the best performing quads I ride with are the Can-Am's. They are tough, will go anywhere and do anything you ask of it. Planning on selling my Rhiono this coming spring and buying a new Can-Am Commander 1000XT sideXside as their sideXsides perform every bit as well. Great looking machine you got there!!! Good choice on going with camo.

zach-the-deer-slayer
11-21-2011, 04:18 PM
just saw this again. good choice!

rmg_2377
11-13-2012, 01:54 PM
Personally, I would go with the Outlander. It could do all the work on the farm the Honda does and then run circles around the Honda on the trails. I know Honda has a cult following, I used to be one, there just isn't much fun factor with their 4-wheelers. Don't get me wrong, they are a great work quad, but for trails and fun the Outlander would hands down be the better machine.

NHBowhunter
02-25-2013, 03:14 PM
Before I started researching I figured I was just gonna get a Honda. Sad thing is they havent changed a lick in ten years it seems. Dont get me wrong they are a rugged machine but I am glad I went with a new 650 Outlander XT.